Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Poster and prospective V40 owner here - hi!

I test drove a D2 over the weekend and to be honest, after getting back into my old i30 (same engine size) I was surprised at how much more sprightly the older car felt. So when I got home, I checked it out - and sure enough, the D2's 0-60 is slower than my current car, which is not exactly quick. I have two reasons for the speed - firstly off the line as my daily commute involves some awkward junctions I have to nip out of pretty swiftly, and secondly around 40-60mph as a lot of my journey is B roads and I need to promptly get round all the slow ****s in my way!

So, I don't really know whether what I perceived as a lack of pace in the D2 is a result of the D2, or just my inexperience in driving it and getting the best out of it. I thought I might give the D3 a try and see how that felt.

So my questions! - Firstly, how much quicker is the D3 than the D2. Do any D2 owners feel I am being unfair and that the lack of pace is due to my lack of experience with the car?

Secondly, in real world terms, how big is the difference in MPG between the D2 and the D3?

Any help anyone can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Sounds like you want a d3 or even a d4 to me (not sure about the little d2 but the d4 needs to be at 2,000 rpm before it starts pulling like it should)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I don't think you are being unfair in how you see the D2. It is not a performance car. It's frugal alright, but it is not going to light up your world if it is performance you want.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have a D3, it is fairly quick, and I have been getting around 50mpg, although I don't drive it very hard. The technicians at the dealer reckon the D3 is better.
My previous was a 2.4i V40 Sport. On paper it is quicker, but the D3 V40 feels faster off the line.

·
Registered
14 Posts
An important consideration you might not be aware of is the boot space - the D2 has a single exhaust and a normal sized boot (flexible load floor is optional), while the D3 upwards, including all r-designs, loses some boot space due to the double exhaust. This isn't mentioned in any review I've seen but was explained by my dealer.

My 2 cents: D2 is plenty fast enough - I have no trouble shifting when I need to, but still get 65-70mpg on most journeys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot all - very helpful insights. There is nothing quite like hearing from people who actually own the car and use it day in day out!

Based on what was said I think I'll get back in touch with the dealer and see if I can try out a D3 - still a bit worried about the economy drop though, its always a trade off isn't it!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Don't get me wrong the D2 is a fine motor. I personally got a D2 on the reputation of its economy. I just wanted a car that would pull high mpg for my drive to work and back which is just about all motorway. This is how I get mpg in the high 70's. But this is not for everyone. It's a good car and a good engine. But for economy there is a trade off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very true - most of my route is B road and honestly poor for economy, lots of twists and turns, slows, hills, etc. I can get 60 from my i30 on the motorway but never get more than 45 on my commute. Part of my economic reasoning for getting the new motor is the money I'll start to save in fuel, so I don't want to jeopardise that too much. Also, hard budget means going up an engine results in going down a spec. But at the same time, the last thing I want is to feel underpowered all the time! So much to consider!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
My drive to work is 23 miles. Less than 2 miles at either end of this journey are on "normal" roads the rest of this half hour journey being motorway. I sit it on the motorway at about 56 mph. The car then returns me around 78 mpg. But it's the motorway that really helps this and getting the car in 6th gear. I find the D2 will give good economy on B roads, but obviously never the same as my drive to work.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have come to volvo from a 2.0tdi sport vw jetta. I test drove both the d2 and d3 before deciding on the d3. For all the d2 was perfectly adequate, i felt it was slower and less responsive than my jetta where as the d3 felt and was quicker then the Jetta. And as i didn't want to take a step back in performance i choose the d3.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot everyone.

I've arranged a test drive of a D3 this weekend so I'll hopefully get a better feel for the power benefit - Pchende exactly like you, I felt like it was a step down in power (even though its actually only around 10BHP). I'll let you know which way I end up going!

·
Registered
945 Posts
I like to drive my cars enthusiastically and often get worse mpg out of smaller engined cars as it is foot to the floor motoring everywhere as I try and squeeze some type of performance out of the tiny engine, where as on the bigger engine I do not have my foot planted so much and it is much more fun/enjoyable not having to work so hard wringing the life out of the smaller engine.

Having said that I still only get 35mpg out of my d4

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thanks a lot everyone.

I've arranged a test drive of a D3 this weekend so I'll hopefully get a better feel for the power benefit - Pchende exactly like you, I felt like it was a step down in power (even though its actually only around 10BHP). I'll let you know which way I end up going!
Good to be of help. I don't exactly drive like a granny but the d3 is easily returning over +55mpg which is great, so the extra 45bhp was a no brainer for me. Either one and you will be happy. But the way a thought of it was in a years times if a went for the d2 i would be wishing i went for the faster d3.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just a thought that might throw your decision up in the air . . . . . :huh:

Does it have to be diesel ? The T2 has a similar-ish 0-60 to the D3 but a big saving in purchase price. Fuel consumption is higher but petrol is cheaper than diesel. I would've prefered a petrol engine but I've ordered my first diesel (D2) because the emissions are low and they make a BIG difference to company car tax liability - roll on next month :)

·
Registered
945 Posts
But the oil burner will probably have more torque so easier drive, I looked at a t4 before going for the d4 due to the extra torque (that is more important than bhp)

·
Registered
273 Posts
@Pchende...If it's worth anything I really would try a D3.

I've done 36k in a D2 and for all intense and purpose, it keeps up with everything when it needs to and has the fuel economy of the best.

On the three occasions when I've driven a D3 as a courtesy car, I didn't like it...it felt like a cat on a hot tin roof and in the wet, I didn't enjoy any of the "pull away quick" junction scenarios because of the wheel spin...but that could have been down to the torque differential between the two.

On balance, I'd choose another D2 again.

Cheers

·
Registered
719 Posts
@DarrenCC, you seem to imply that you drive with lead boots :)
I have a D3 which is a delight to drive. I have never had wheel spin, except a little on the snow and ice last year. But then I don't try to emulate a rally driver.
Certainly the D3 is more powerful, and is a great asset when there is a need to accelerate quickly. I actually chose the D3 as I tow a sailing dinghy around. (a 2000 if anyone is interested) A D2 would obviously do that but I would have to work it harder.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I did go for the D3 @DarrenCC, and haven't regretted at all as i mentioned on a different post this is my first Volvo after driving Vw's for 8 years. So as you can imagine it was a hard decision to leave vw, but i am more than happy with how the Volvo has performed......

Well apart from from my handbrake failure yesterday which could have wrote the car off if it wasn't for a good Samaritan putting a brick under the back wheel.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I was taught to leave a car in Gear and with the handbrake on. I had a row with one of the facilities guys about this very fact when he said we should leave cars out of gear.

The same guy left a car (out of gear) and the image shows the result.

Nice to feel vindicated and also good to pass on sound advice!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts