Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this is for all the D3/D4 owners and those buying the new D4 of course...

I bought a D3 (150bhp) in March this year rather than D4 (175bhp) for three reasons :-

1) £1000 less
2) Only 25 bhp deficit
3) D3 wider torque band vs higher/shorter D4 (although in real world I'm sure it's negligible)

But...

I'm really interested on views of the new 4 Cylinder D4 with 190 Bhp!! Plus better economy etc etc. Sounds incredible on paper!! 40bhp more than the D3 :(

I've only driven Petrol previously and hoped the 5 cylinder Diesel would compensate a little for that deep rumble. Which it does when pushing along. How does the new D4 compare in comparison I wonder?

Has anyone here had experience of both engines yet?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I guess this is for all the D3/D4 owners and those buying the new D4 of course...

I bought a D3 (150bhp) in March this year rather than D4 (175bhp) for three reasons :-

1) £1000 less
2) Only 25 bhp deficit
3) D3 wider torque band vs higher/shorter D4 (although in real world I'm sure it's negligible)

But...

I'm really interested on views of the new 4 Cylinder D4 with 190 Bhp!! Plus better economy etc etc. Sounds incredible on paper!! 40bhp more than the D3 :(

I've only driven Petrol previously and hoped the 5 cylinder Diesel would compensate a little for that deep rumble. Which it does when pushing along. How does the new D4 compare in comparison I wonder?

Has anyone here had experience of both engines yet?
Do not get too hung up on BHP, especially not when it comes to diesels. For example, the Opel Insignia diesel with 195 bhp has one of the most underwhelming performances for a car with that power.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Do not get too hung up on BHP, especially not when it comes to diesels. For example, the Opel Insignia diesel with 195 bhp has one of the most underwhelming performances for a car with that power.
Exactly,
and Morho I believe there is a Polestar tune you can do to the D3 which if you want more performance maybe worth looking at.

Personally i'd like a D3 because its a 5cylinder older engine with a fairly proven track record.
The new D4 4cyl is a bit of a gamble.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I like the line in that D4 review that says:

"so we would still opt for the lesser D2". ;)

That's because they are lazy idiots that cannot see past the usual German marques and haven't noticed that the new D4 combines significantly greater performance, fractionally lighter kerbweight (spec-for-spec), and only minutely worse economy and CO2 output than the D2 - all for just a couple of grand more.

...not to mention that there will be a new, lighter and more economical D2 with ultra-frugal 3-cylinder engine some time in the next ~12 months...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Feel like I've made a massive error!! I'm picking up my D3 r design lux nav on Monday, beginning to think I should have gone for the new D4, extra 40bhp, 40kg lighter, newer engine with better economy for £1000! Someone make me feel better!!!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Feel like I've made a massive error!! I'm picking up my D3 r design lux nav on Monday, beginning to think I should have gone for the new D4, extra 40bhp, 40kg lighter, newer engine with better economy for £1000! Someone make me feel better!!!
Well you have one more cylinder

But then again one less Turbo

Sorry but I picked the car because of the engine, not the engine because of the car - not received or driven the new D4 yet but on paper you would have to think mistake... Big mistake (just hope it doesn't prove me wrong)

You didn't mention free road fund licence & free congestion charges :) oops sorry

·
Registered
382 Posts
It's a 5 cylinder which is a nice sounding engine for a diesel in my opinion, proven record, and you can polestar tune it (not voiding volvo warranty) to almost D4 levels of performance .

The new D4 is just that, new, so may be having the last laugh if it doesn't live up to expectations.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks arb/jifen! Ah well, too late now anyway!! And I suppose coming from a 75bhp corsa, the D3 won't feel to shabby!! And like you say, if I need more power I'll just polestar the mother!!!!!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
That's because they are lazy idiots that cannot see past the usual German marques and haven't noticed that the new D4 combines significantly greater performance, fractionally lighter kerbweight (spec-for-spec), and only minutely worse economy and CO2 output than the D2 - all for just a couple of grand more.

...not to mention that there will be a new, lighter and more economical D2 with ultra-frugal 3-cylinder engine some time in the next ~12 months...
I still like it! :p.

I am sure the D4 is good. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't reproach yourself, a good choice.

I now have a 2013 V40 D3 and had the Polestar upgrade - best add-on I've bought. Truly impressive improvement in drive-ability, especially mid-range torque (leave a lot of BMW and Audi drivers with egg on their face when I want to). It's not the 0-62 that matters (unless you are a boy-racer from the traffic lights), it's out on the open road and overtaking with confidence that really shows a cars metal. Spend a lot less than the £1K difference and have a car more than the D4.

If you really want to burn some rubber on a reprogramme go for the RICA ECM upgrade (post 3 year old cars). That gives you a 33% increase from 150 to 201 hp and 350 to 450 NM of torque!! Had it on my C30 D3 and that did raise some eyebrows. Available from some Volvo dealers (e.g. TMS Coventry).

Like many just love the 5 cylinder Volvo engines, have done since I had an 850 over twenty years ago.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't reproach yourself, a good choice.

I now have a 2013 V40 D3 and had the Polestar upgrade - best add-on I've bought. Truly impressive improvement in drive-ability, especially mid-range torque (leave a lot of BMW and Audi drivers with egg on their face when I want to). It's not the 0-62 that matters (unless you are a boy-racer from the traffic lights), it's out on the open road and overtaking with confidence that really shows a cars metal. Spend a lot less than the £1K difference and have a car more than the D4.

If you really want to burn some rubber on a reprogramme go for the RICA ECM upgrade (post 3 year old cars). That gives you a 33% increase from 150 to 201 hp and 350 to 450 NM of torque!! Had it on my C30 D3 and that did raise some eyebrows. Available from some Volvo dealers (e.g. TMS Coventry).

Like many just love the 5 cylinder Volvo engines, have done since I had an 850 over twenty years ago.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been driving a 5 Cylinder D4 (6 speed Auto) for nearly three years now and last time it was serviced was able to compare it with the new D4 (8 speed Auto). While the new engine is quieter, no 5 pot roar, it's a bit boring! I didn't notice the extra 15 Bhp and the economy around town was pretty similar. I was afraid I'd regret not waiting for the new engine, but I love my throaty, torquey 5 cylinder! Your D3 with the Polestar upgrade should give similar performance to my D4. Enjoy the car!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the c30 d3 manual which was a fantastic engine, torque was where you needed it and the engine note was great for a diesel. And pulled like a train for 150bhp and 350nm. But the 5 cylinder handles itself better.

I now own a 2015 d4 powershift auto. Which I'm still not 100% about. Has its advantages and disadvantages.

For instance The engine sounds [email protected]! It's not refined like a 5-cylinder, you know you are in a diesel. The new d4 does have 190bhp and 400nm, so yes it is quick. You can launch it from a set of lights and upset many of boyracers in 7seconds as the powershift box changes fantastically! But when you are cruising at 80mph, the torque isn't there like in the d3 so isn't as fast up top. And with 8gears the box is constantly changing and revving out which isn't too bad as it's very smooth!

But if you opt for the manual, it's zero road tax and it is much much better on fuel than the d3!! And mines the auto so isn't as good as a manual.

So if you are considering a d4, take for a long test drive. It is a very good engine from Volvo (not ford). Just remember it is not a 5cylinder. And weigh up your running costs. The d4 is fantastic on fuel (and I'm a "boy racer")

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had the c30 d3 manual which was a fantastic engine, torque was where you needed it and the engine note was great for a diesel. And pulled like a train for 150bhp and 350nm. But the 5 cylinder handles itself better.

I now own a 2015 d4 powershift auto. Which I'm still not 100% about. Has its advantages and disadvantages.

For instance The engine sounds [email protected]! It's not refined like a 5-cylinder, you know you are in a diesel. The new d4 does have 190bhp and 400nm, so yes it is quick. You can launch it from a set of lights and upset many of boyracers in 7seconds as the powershift box changes fantastically! But when you are cruising at 80mph, the torque isn't there like in the d3 so isn't as fast up top. And with 8gears the box is constantly changing and revving out which isn't too bad as it's very smooth!

But if you opt for the manual, it's zero road tax and it is much much better on fuel than the d3!! And mines the auto so isn't as good as a manual.

So if you are considering a d4, take for a long test drive. It is a very good engine from Volvo (not ford). Just remember it is not a 5cylinder. And weigh up your running costs. The d4 is fantastic on fuel (and I'm a "boy racer")
I agree too many gears for this type of car. I think the 6 speed auto box was better. You only need to touch the throttle and it's changing gear which causes delay and makes the engine rev too highly rather than use the low down torque.

Interesting comments around the power at 80. My personal view is the car is better at high speed rather than off the mark. 0-40 is just harsh noise when stamping on the throttle and it's not until 3rd gear the power comes in and it feels like it's got nearly 200 horses. I think it's quite modest off the line.

I think I would of preferred a 5cyl version in all honesty. The D3 I had on loan sounded great for a diesel and didn't seem much slower so I can understand why user Toby says he didn't notice any power difference between 5pot and vea versions. Combined with various known issues it's had a rough start (the d4 vea)

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just got the D4 VEA and it's a pretty impressive engine. Coming from a T3 manual it would be. Lots of torque and as has been stated above, whether starting at 0 or accelerating mid-drive I haven't found it wanting.

It DOES have a lot of gears though and it does search around quite a bit. I sometime's find it hangs onto 2nd for too long especially in traffic and I end up manually shifting up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a D3, that I bought second hand. I've had it six months but out of that its spent about 5 weeks in the dealers garage - and now they have found that one of the bores is cracked causing water loss, I'm now wondering if I made the right choice in buying the v40?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.