Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new here but I've used this site anonymously in the past for V40 related things and found it to be very useful.

Since the other day, I've noticed the car have a hesitating feeling when cruising along when in the 1500-2000 rpm range. If I put my foot down, it's fine and dandy so don't think it's the turbo, although I might be wrong.

I've tried plugging in a code reader and looked at live data. I'm not too sure what the normal values should be for boost, MAF, intake and fuel pressure, etc though so not much help there. Would it be wrong to think it's something like the boost pressure sensor?

I have a 63 plate 5 cyl D3 if it helps

Thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
I also had the same a few years back. I got some Wynns carbon buster, and cleaned the turbo out. (very easy to do) I think the veins could not move as they should. After that, the problem was gone, had more power and everything was smoother.

Later I removed and cleaned the EGR and pipes, also removed and cleaned the intercooler and all sensors. What an improvement.

Give it a go, and let me know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also had the same a few years back. I got some Wynns carbon buster, and cleaned the turbo out. (very easy to do) I think the veins could not move as they should. After that, the problem was gone, had more power and everything was smoother.

Later I removed and cleaned the EGR and pipes, also removed and cleaned the intercooler and all sensors. What an improvement.

Give it a go, and let me know.
Thanks for the suggestion, however I'm not the greatest when it comes to this stuff (but I do want to learn so I don't have to shell out to a garage every single time) but with instructions I've been able to do things in the past.
Will I need to remove the turbo to remove it (also ashamed to say I'm not entirely sure whereabouts it is in the engine bay) so you'll have to forgive me for that.
I've also looked up some cleaning related videos (that also recommend Wynns) - one says you don't need to remove the turbo, another was mentioning the EGR also, along with the MAP sensor (which, again, not too sure where that is as not sure what I'm looking for)

·
Registered
197 Posts
To clean the turbo, you don't need to remove. Only the air pipe as shown in picture 1. NOT MY ENGINE lol.
Remove the pipe at the clamp, the resonator box is connected to the turbo. Car must be at operating temp. Start it, and start spraying the Carbon buster in short bursts into the bottom pipe.
The turbo will suck it in. Complete with a whole can, if you take the slim can's, use two for the 1st time.

After one can, or half a big can I rev the car, and hold it @ 1800 rpm for 1-2 minutes, and then finish up. When done, switch off, replace pipe, and take it for a spirited drive, be sure to let it boost a lot. There should be loads of white smoke, that means the carbon is burning off. Please be carefull that nothing falls into this pipe when cleaning. Hold onto the nozzle as well. You don't want anything falling into that pipe. While there, maybe take off the Airflow meter, and clean the sensor with carb cleaner, mark as no 2 in pic 1.

EGR valve removal is not so easy, you can also use a cleaner and remove the pipe marked in pic 2, and spray it in there, with the engine off. Use a flashlight and look into the Throttle body, you will see the valve of the EGR, spray directly in there. I clean it either by removal, or this way. Pic two, mark one is throllte body, mark 2 is the EGR. Easier way is remove the pipe and those 4 bolts of the throttle body.

You will be shocked to see the amount of oil comming out of an intercooler. For that you need to remove the front bumper. Then two clamps and two bolts and the intercooler is removed.
Use a good engine cleaner in there, and rinse, then use a water based cleaner to remove the oily film left behind and rinse. Clean the sensors with Carb cleaner.

Should put a smile on your face!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts