Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
D2 & D4 owners can also probably answer.

Does your diesel engine switch off at traffic light, and how often. I have my D3 now 3 days, and not once has it switched off when standing still, and I have checked, and everything is enabled.

·
Registered
718 Posts
My D3 usually turns off/on at the lights. I presume you have kept your feet away from the pedals. On my manual box I only have to tap the clutch pedal to restart.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Do you need to keep your foot on the brake, or touch no pedals at all?

I see the manual says under possible not engine stop issues, that if you have a trailer connected, then it won't switch off. Maybe when they switched my towbar from the T3, they did something wrong, and the car is maybe thinking something is connect to the towbar.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It doesn't always cut out...

For example, when I drive through my village in the morning it doesn't switch itself off or if it does, it immediately starts up again. Once I've done a few miles to work it works fine.

You don't need to press any pedals to make it work - just make sure the light is on/ecodrive flashes up on the dash and come to a halt normally.

Note: It needs to be a dead stop from >10mph (or something like that) in neutral with feet off all pedals.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If yours is a powershift you have to keep your foot on the brake all the time then as you release it it starts. although as Mr Fro says sometimes on first start of the day it doesn't work for a bit then starts to work. I've found mine stops the engine just as the speedo falls away to 0mph and you are still coming to a halt so it jerks a bit. Ive found that just easing up on the brake a bit i.e. in a line of traffic just to roll forward the engine doesn't stop when you come to a halt again.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you navigate to the My Car -> Drive E -> Start/Stop menu on the centre screen, it will show the status of the Start/Stop system at any given time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi VoodooBOB

I've had my D3 Manual for a week / 300 miles and not experienced any problems. I usually keep my foot on the brake for brief stops and has always fired up with a prod on the clutch.

With yourself previously owning a T3 it sounds like there's a problem - possibly the back up battery I've seen reported here in the forum somewhere.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The reason that first thing in the morning it doesn't work (AFAIK) is to give the battery chance to charge before running radio/lights etc at a standstill.

Also I found you have to have gone more than 10mph with clutch fully out for it to enable auto stop/start. If you're in queues of traffic stop starting with lower than 10mph speeds or riding clutch, it won't activate when you go neutral with clutch out.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the way back home yesterday, I went into my car settings, and it still showed start/stop unavailable. Scrolled down to battery charge, and got message saying battery charging, so that is possibly why it is unavailable at the moment, no enough juice inside yet.

The car has been standing at Volvo holding place for more than a month without driving, as we tried to sort our the trade in for the T3. Probably still haven't had much time to charge, as I don't travel open highway to work.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The car switched once off and on again yesterday going home, and this morning also one time. Must be the battery, not fully charged yet.

PS! Sport mode is very nice, nice pull. Polestar must be even nicer, will be saving up to get it in a few months.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My auto stopstart has worked perfectly in my D3 from the day I picked it up from the dealers! Not sure if its supposed to but when the engine is cold, it also shuts off when I'm in neutral with no clutch. Also realised the other day that you can tap either the clutch OR accelerator to restart the engine ;)

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Start stop, the real facts !

As I have already said in other, similar threads: It is only a matter of battery being enough charged or not. It also seems that alarms cause a leak of current, small but existing, which may slowly discharge the battery. Do not be ready to say that "it is not the main battery that kicks off the engine, but the auxiliary one", it all depends on the main battery condition.
I have looked into the subject long enough, having the car at the dealer for inspection and remedy for more than twenty days totally.
The final solution was that they replaced the main battery with a new one and the problem disappeared for more than three months.
But as the battery discharges again little by little, it is there again, though in a less heavy form. And I explain: As I use the car only on weekends and this for a limited number of kms (usually less than 50), I noticed that I have to "write" more than 50 kms on one driving session and then the start - stop revives itself. It already happened on two weekends in a row, thus I believe that spring and summer will give me extra opportunities to travel and make the problem a past.
Anyway, it annoyed me a lot before (being a perfectionist I want everything to operate as prescribed), but now I am used to it, knowing that it also depends on me not using the car frequently enough. Also, start-stop most probably helps our perception about economy and less CO2 emmissions and not the real world (I think its contribution is minimal).

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is defenitely a battery thing, as I had window tinting done saturday morning, and the guys had the ignition on to open the windows etc. After an hour when I started the car, gave me low battery warning. Then again the stop start didn't work for a long while after driving around.

The car has also been standing for about 2 months, no one driving it, and it hasn't been out on the highway to do a proper charge.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a D3 stick shift and the darn thing shuts down every time I stop and release the clutch pedal. To re-start, you just press on the clutch pedal again, but one thing I found, is that sometimes after it re-starts and you put it on gear it won't respond right away and the car won't move. That has happened a few times, but then to be honest, I always turn off the start/stop function, since I find it more annoying than helpful. For one thing, I don't see the benefit of having it, and I think it just damages components every time it stops and re-starts, especially if it happens all the time. So I have gotten used to turning off this feature every time I get in the car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
How much fuel would it save if the car is turned off for 5 to 10 seconds in average before re-starting? Every time the engine re-starts more fuel is consumed. In addition, the wear and tear of the starting components is not being considered, and also the cost of replacing them over time.

Personally, I wish I could permanently de-activate this function instead of having Volvo decide for me on how to use my car. If there are any fuel savings or reduction of CO2, that would be negligible if any.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
How much fuel would it save if the car is turned off for 5 to 10 seconds in average before re-starting? Every time the engine re-starts more fuel is consumed. In addition, the wear and tear of the starting components is not being considered, and also the cost of replacing them over time.

Personally, I wish I could permanently de-activate this function instead of having Volvo decide for me on how to use my car. If there are any fuel savings or reduction of CO2, that would be negligible if any.
How much fuel saved if the car is turned off for 5 to 10 seconds. I would think none. Wear and tear? I doubt this is an issue?

My car stops at some traffic lights next to a building site every day. The duration of the stop is normally one to two minutes. It's a no brainer. It's about understanding start stop. But to let the car stop for 5 seconds is of no benefit. Judge the duration of the stop. Sometimes you get the judgement wrong but mostly it's a pretty easy thing to do and get right.

I think we should be looking a little further than does it save you fuel any way. Think of collective emissions. We are pissing in our own back yard without thought for the consequence? :D It must be in the millions of tonnes of CO2 that is pumped into the atmosphere each year by collective idling cars. We cannot keep on doing this. Eventually there will be serious consequences for our children?

·
Registered
630 Posts

Personally, I wish I could permanently de-activate this function ....
I think Toolmantim has permanently disabled the start/stop function on his car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.