Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Ive just bought a 2013 D3 auto, with 26000 miles on the clock, full Volvo history and a new MoT, so I assume mechanically "tip top". One if the main reasons that I bought this car, was for its fuel economy. However, ive just been for my first drive, which was a mix of motorway and urban, over a distance of 25 miles. The trip computer average was showing a shade over 30mpg. I switched off the AC and got it up to 32mpg. Both of these figures seem incredibly low to me? Just wondering how accurate Volvo trip computers are and if the mpg ive just experienced is normal? I didnt drive it in sport mode, but the lcd dash is in sport display - surely that would not make a difference? Any help/advice appreciated - thanks!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have a manual D3 , I went round the M25 from M1 to A3 , averaged 64mpg with the lighter than usual traffic and steady cruising on the camera enforced speed limit..
If I do mixed driving shorter runs I get maybe 40s mpg at worst, accelerating hard with lots of stopping and starting in traffic.
Try a longer run on the motorway, they do settle down just rolling along engine at around 2000 rpm or below.
Reset the trip computer to zero, and if you have the average and actual consumption displayed you'll see what's going on.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My manual D3 ,2013 does about 42/45 just running around,and 60 or so on a longer run,reset all the trips and averages and see how it goes,it may have been used on lots of short trips just before you got it and it will be averaging on those results,hopefully it will come up,hopefully someone with an auto will help.if you mean the display is the red one with large digital speed display it doesn't do anything except the display,on the manual car have to turn off DSTC to get sport mode.my AC is left permanently on Auto.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Hullu & Snowman. Im going on a run from @Heathrow to Manchester soon, so I guess that will be a better test. I had a Mercedes with the 250 diesel engine a couple of years ago and tgat would return over 50mpg on a combined run without me even thinking about economy, so this little run came as a shock to me! I will see how it goes on a longer run a d update my post - cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had bad fuel consumption in my D3 only hitting high 40mpg low 50mpg
I had it properly mapped and that solved it straight away I now on average get 60+

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks Hullu & Snowman. Im going on a run from @Heathrow to Manchester soon, so I guess that will be a better test. I had a Mercedes with the 250 diesel engine a couple of years ago and tgat would return over 50mpg on a combined run without me even thinking about economy, so this little run came as a shock to me! I will see how it goes on a longer run a d update my post - cheers!
On the longer run you could try BP ultimate diesel , you don't know what fuel has been used before and a tank of that has the additives to clean the fuel system. I have found that the old 5 cylinder engine seems to like that fuel.

·
Registered
374 Posts
What diesel is the car using at present? I can only suggest you give it 2 tankfuls of either Shell Vpower Nitro Plus Diesel, or Esso Supreme diesel, after which you can revert back to regular non-supermarket diesel.
Also do reset the Mpg counter..it looks like it may have been still from the tank average, or never reset at all. Alternatively you can go into 'my car settings' and go to 'trip statistics' it would show you your mpg over the last mile or last 10 miles. where are the bars? I would think that those bars in the last 10 - 25 miles you travelled, should (at least on the motorway bits) be in the 50s, and maybe the urban bits in the 40s.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I once did a similar trip from West London to Manchester (little traffic) going at 70mph on the highways in two previous (non Volvo) VAG cars. The petrol 1.0TSI did 57mpg, and the diesel 2.0TDI did 60mpg. Your D3, should be able to get at least 55mpg if you are keeping to 70mph with the super diesel fuels. Plus the super diesel fuels would clean up the engine nicely as well, like descaling a kettle, nice and shiny afterwards...I remember another D3/D4 (can't remember which) owner did a highway trip at NSL, and returned around 60mpg (was it you @hullu who did this trip? somehow the BP Ultimate stuck in my head).

·
Registered
109 Posts
May have been me,my 5 pot D3 manual does 60 mpg no problem on longer trips,and I put it in a post on here in reply to similar post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for your responses. Based on your advice I correctly zeroed the trip computer. 60mpg up to Manchester and 54.8 on the way back, which was driven more 'enthusiastically'. So i'm now well pleased with the consumption which seems very similar to others. As an aside, I was quite surprised how noisy the car is. Tyre roar (Pirellis) is significant, as is general engine/cabin noise. I still like the car, but was expecting it to be more refined!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks all for your responses. Based on your advice I correctly zeroed the trip computer. 60mpg up to Manchester and 54.8 on the way back, which was driven more 'enthusiastically'. So i'm now well pleased with the consumption which seems very similar to others. As an aside, I was quite surprised how noisy the car is. Tyre roar (Pirellis) is significant, as is general engine/cabin noise. I still like the car, but was expecting it to be more refined!
This road noise is a common complaint about V40 and truth is the wheel arches could be better insulated. It depends on the surface type (smooth tarmac vs stoney tarmac) and also tyres can make a big difference. I have Bridgestones as summer tyres and this is their last season - the noise is sometimes annoying. As winter tyres I use Hankooks and they are a bit less noisy. Both are the same size 235/35 R19. I remember seeing a thread here about DIY wheel arches insulation and how it helped a lot.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Could also be the tyre brand / tyre size combination. My V40 runs on 205/55 R16 Michelin Primacy 4s rated at 68db...I find it quiet compared to my previous VAG car running 215/40 R17s.
I suspect if your tyres are 18-19 inch, you would get like for like more road noise. Sometimes depending on how much tread the tyres have left, noise could increase/decrease. The only thing that annoyed me was more the whistling wind noise coming from driver's side, somewhere, maybe panel gap, mirror or the gap between the windscreen and a plastic covering only when doing 70mph or more (maybe it's a speed warning)...however that went away after 4-5 months (or I got used to it).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys! I'm a proud owner of a 2014 V40CC with the "old" D3 fitted in it. (D5204T6) What makes a huge difference in fuel efficiency is the tyre size. I commute to work 5 times a day 65kms on a highway and if I keep the speed at 95kms/h I get:

225/50-R17 = 4.2 l/100km
205/60-R16 = 3.8 l/100km

My previous car, a V40 R-design D2 consumed 4.0 l/100kms with 225/45-R18 tyres and when I changed to a 16" tyres I got it down to 3.4!

The absolutely lowest consumption I've got with the D3 is 3.4 l/100km but this was under perfect driving conditions :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Wow, I couldn't get below 4.5 l/100 km with my D2 on 17 inches. And for D3 5-pot those are also very impressive figures. With my current T5 on 19 inches I can't get below 9.0 l/100 km but sure I didn't buy that car for fuel economy :LOL:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hey guys! I'm a proud owner of a 2014 V40CC with the "old" D3 fitted in it. (D5204T6) What makes a huge difference in fuel efficiency is the tyre size. I commute to work 5 times a day 65kms on a highway and if I keep the speed at 95kms/h I get:

225/50-R17 = 4.2 l/100km
205/60-R16 = 3.8 l/100km

My previous car, a V40 R-design D2 consumed 4.0 l/100kms with 225/45-R18 tyres and when I changed to a 16" tyres I got it down to 3.4!

The absolutely lowest consumption I've got with the D3 is 3.4 l/100km but this was under perfect driving conditions :)
I've seen 3.4 on empty flat Finnish roads, I agree that is possible under ideal conditions.
205/55 R16
Experiment with different Diesel brands and fuels, you can hear the difference,I find some sound more tractor-like than others.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts