Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd start a debate after I can only describe my experience so far as "Disapointing".
I'm not saying the D3 is a bad engine, but for me it doesn't deliver what Volvo promises. So here are my gripes:
  • Car not easy to drive economically - I can acheive 55 MPG but boy do I need to concentrate on exactly where and when I change gear etc. If I drive "normally" I only get mid 40's
  • Gear change indicator - Worse than useless in my opinion.It changes up too early and then the ECU has to pump in extra fuel to get the turbo spun up.
  • Power delivery - On ECO mode it's almost like turbo lag with poor power followed by a sudden rush
  • Feul economy - poor when compared to other engines in the range, even on this forum people have said that the more powerful D4 gave better economy (couretsy car I think)
My conclusion: I am seriously thinking about trading this car in for an S60 D4. It has better fuel consumption and CO2 figure and is zero tax (£30 on my V40 D3) and hopefully is nicer to drive.

So there we are I'd be interested to hear from owners of all size engines for their experince/commects.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, 17000 miles, tyres set to ECo (38 PSI). I have tried premium fuel without much difference.
Interesting that you verify that the D4 is better, without even trying....

·
Registered
389 Posts
I can get 72mpg out of my d3 with careful driving. Usally around the 52-55mpg without even trying. Eco mode doesnt do anything with the engine as far as i am aware it just changes the tft display.

·
Registered
273 Posts
@GRM I sort of agree with you...I have a D2 and the couple of times I have had a D3 as a courtesy car, I really couldn't get on with the twitchiness of the engine. Your choice of D4 is the best one - though a V40 surely!? Darren

Reactions: darrenT3

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. Interesting comments.

I can get 70mpg @ 65mph on the motorway (which is good) and I get 55 mpg, but only after completely adapting my driving style from the S60 D5 I drove before and having to really concentrate to get it. I got 50 MPG from that and it was a 2003! It shouldn't be that hard to dirve a modern car economically.

I do have a possible theory...
A|s I said my car has done 17000 miles and is coming up for its first service. I have noticed that sometimes the car does not stop/start when it shoukd and that fuel consumption goes quite high. Is the car doing a |DPF cleanse? If so it still seems to be doing thizs at the end of my journey, so presumably it hasn't finished. Is my car performing DPF cleaning more often because it can't clean the filter??

Interesting comment re ECO I also thought the same. However I found this extract from Volvo UK:
And if you’re in the mood for a bit of performance driving, DTSC has a Sport Mode. It cuts out the engine power reducing function and allows a controlled amount of rear wheel slip, as long as it senses that the driver is using the steering wheel and accelerator in a dynamic way and as long as it doesn’t go too far, in which case it will return to the normal DSTC-function.

This made me wonder if changing the display to sport invoked sport mode???

·
Registered
252 Posts
I tried all the diesels before settling for petrol.

I found the D3/D4 all or nothing- especially disappointing at low-revs, which is made worse by the high-gearing.
When exiting roundabouts at low-revs these engine's are too tame and then suddenly on acceleration the fireworks begin with a large surge of almost uncontrollable power, and just as you reach the speed limit!
(dare I say- not a patch on the Audi A3 2.0TDi- which has bags of low-speed torque= albeit in a boring car!)

I'd much rather drive a D2 than D3/D4.

Interesting you are only getting mid-40's MPG from your D3 as I'm averaging 47.8MPG from my T3!

Will be interesting to see how the new Drive high-power diesels perform :thumbup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Fuel economy is always going to be a bone of contention due to the way manufacturers arrive at their claims - based on figures achieved in ideal conditions, on a proving-ground, with a highly skilled driver, in a car optimally setup - i.e. not a bit like real world conditions!

Add to that the fact that a LOT of manufacturers make their trip computers read WILDLY optimistically, which I find this generation of V40 does not (ours is about spot-on accurate FWIW), and the situation can seem a lot worse than it really is.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I have given up with fuel consumption, I can't drive slowly, and with Johannesburg traffic, you will never get good consumption. Going down to the coast this weekend, first time I will now see how the D3 performs on very long road

·
Registered
273 Posts
You can theorise all you want...but the bottom line is that unless you're driving from north to south france and willing to stick the cruise at 60mph, you'll NEVER hit the acclaimed MPG. On 51 litres I've given myself a pat on the back for 750 real miles in a D2 and bloomin 'eck that took patience in this Country. The bottom line is that if you can hit 600 miles before the fuel light comes on, you're "in". Cheers DC

Reactions: VoodooBOB

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"When exiting roundabouts at low-revs these engine's are too tame and then suddenly on acceleration the fireworks begin with a large surge of almost uncontrollable power, and just as you reach the speed limit!
(dare I say- not a patch on the Audi A3 2.0TDi- which has bags of low-speed torque= albeit in a boring car!)"

Another interesting point. I occasionally drive a VW Touran and I'm always impressed with the low end torque, always power there as soon as you touch the throttle.

Maybe VW use a smaller turbo (easier/quicker to spin up) or maybe it's just the config of the 5 cylinder engine. I have the same slow response on my D5, just not so bad.

·
Registered
630 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.