Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a '64 plate V40 D4 with the 2.0 4-cylinder engine. It's now on ~45000 miles. I've recently booked it in for the regular 12 month service at a reasonable £2xx-ish.

Had a phone call this morning to say that the cam belt will also need to be replaced due to a recent change in the service intervals which will cost me a further £4xx!

A quick bit of searching suggests that the previous interval on this was 8 years/144000 miles. Has anyone else been informed of this change? If it's related to an issue that they've discovered then I'd at least expect this first time to be free of charge...

Thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
217 Posts
Use the service price indicator tool on Volvo's website. If you select different years and/or mileages, it will list the items to be performed at the specified service.

Timing belt change for my petrol VEA engine is still shown on there as 8 years or 144,000 miles.

If that is the same for your car, I would be querying it with Volvo direct before confirming anything with the dealer.

If Volvo confirm a change to the interval, please let us know.

OTOH you might consider that on age alone, 5 - 6 years is plenty for a timing belt, for peace of mind. The alternative, should it break, would be more expensive my some magnitude.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi,

I've got a '64 plate V40 D4 with the 2.0 4-cylinder engine. It's now on ~45000 miles. I've recently booked it in for the regular 12 month service at a reasonable £2xx-ish.

Had a phone call this morning to say that the cam belt will also need to be replaced due to a recent change in the service intervals which will cost me a further £4xx!

A quick bit of searching suggests that the previous interval on this was 8 years/144000 miles. Has anyone else been informed of this change? If it's related to an issue that they've discovered then I'd at least expect this first time to be free of charge...

Thanks,

Richard
I am sure I have seen a figure of £1000 + for the cam belt full service, (8yrs/144,000) for the D4 on a Volvo website. You could choose different garages, and compare their service prices. This site now says contact your local garage for prices.

Bit of a bummer that the change in the belt frequency has actually halved, but maybe the price has nearly halved too ??

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am sure I have seen a figure of £1000 + for the cam belt full service, (8yrs/144,000) for the D4 on a Volvo website. You could choose different garages, and compare their service prices. This site now says contact your local garage for prices.

Bit of a bummer that the change in the belt frequency has actually halved, but maybe the price has nearly halved too ??

No, I checked yesterday before my reply above. Nearly £1100 for a service including belt change on my T2, so presumably the D4 isn't much different. But I've also seen them offering a timing belt change as a standalone repair for less than £300, and as the same service without belt change is quoted at around £500, there might be room for negotiation, as I make that £800 not £1100.

But we don't know for sure that the belt change frequency has been halved. We know what a dealer has said to the OP, but possibly only as what they see to be a money making opportunity.

If you don't believe they do that sort of thing, my car went in for its 2 year service with less than 7,000 miles on the clock. The dealer told me that the spark plugs must be replaced as part of the 2 year service. I pointed out to them that although the spark plugs appear in the list of service items for a 2 year or 36,000 mile service in VIDA, it also states that they should be changed only according to the mileage interval, not time. I told them that they were quite welcome to change them, but if they couldn't show me where it said that they must be changed at 2 years on a time basis alone, I wouldn't be paying for them. They suddenly didn't want to do them anymore.

It's quite enlightening to watch a service being carried out. Unintentionally, I found that my dashcam turns on when the car is hooked up to VIDA. Very interesting to see things like half a bottle of washer fluid being tipped out onto the floor beside the car (presumably into a bowl, but I couldn't see that) because my washer bottle was already full to the brim (I checked it before taking the car in) and the half empty bottle being left in the passenger footwell so they could attempt to charge me for it. Then there's the oil being tipped over the top of the engine because the mechanic couldn't watch where he was pouring it whilst tipping his head back to empty the packet of crisps that he was pouring down his throat with his other hand. I could go on!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Have checked with dealer.

Volvo have reduced the cam timing belt interval

It was 108,000 miles or ten years

It is now 90,000 miles or ten years

·
Registered
217 Posts
Have checked with dealer.

Volvo have reduced the cam timing belt interval

It was 108,000 miles or ten years

It is now 90,000 miles or ten years
So the dealer is still trying to profit from advising the OP that his needs changing at 5 years/~45,000 miles!

·
Registered
583 Posts
So the dealer is still trying to profit from advising the OP that his needs changing at 5 years/~45,000 miles!
It would seem so, name, shame, avoid!

·
Registered
2015 (65) V40 D4 R-Design Lux 27000 miles
18 Posts
Ive been told 90,000 or 10 years for the cam belt on my wifes D4 2016 65 plate.

I have just changed the Aux belt and Tensioner on my wifes as someone reported one snapped on here and that might need doing at 5 years and its really cheap and wouldnt be suprised of failiure in my opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts