Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Just bought myself a 2015 V40 D4.
It appears to me there are 3 different specs in concerns to the D4 engine.

1st - the 5 cylinder; producing 175hp
2nd - the 4 cylinder producing 175hp
3rd - the latest, 4 cylinder producing 190hp.

The first and the last generation engines make sense to me, they lost a cylinder and added an extra turbo, consequently making more power.

But I can’t seem to get my head around the 2nd weird middle generation. Lost a cylinder and gained a turbo just like the transition from the 1st to the 3rd but gained no extra power.

The purchased car in question seems to have the 2nd engine, hence the curiosity..

Can someone please explain.

Thank you :).

·
Registered
139 Posts
Look at the link the tables with engines of V40. Note how "engine code" is coded: B-petrol, D-diesel. After that the first digit is number of cylinders. Second and third digit is engine volume, 20 is 2.0, 25 is 2.5 liters. Next digit is number of valves per cylinder. For example D5204T4 is for Diesel, 5 cylinders, 2.0, 4 valves per cylinder, T is for Turbo and last number after that is modification of the engine.

In short, after about 2015 year Volvo uses generally only one type of engines, so called VEA (Volvo Engine Architecture). It is 2.0 diesel and 2.0 petrol with different modifications for less or more power. There is also 1.5 liter version of that engine.
Here can read about that:

·
Registered
12 Posts
In the V40 there was only 2 different D4 engines. The first was the original classic Volvo 5 cylinder engine with a single turbo, 1984cc and produced 177bhp. The in late 2014 they introduced the VEA (Volvo Engine Architecture). These engines where 4 cylinder 1969cc, twin turbo with 190bhp.
But be careful if you choose an early VEA engine 2014-2016. Some of these engines suffered with excessive oil consumption due to poorly designed pistons rings. They can use up to 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles.
I am not aware of the 4 cylinder D4 with 175bhp. Certainly not I’m the U.K.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts