Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to justify buying a new V40 this next month but my darling wife keeps pointing out the plethora of options on the nearly new market with far more on spec. What concerns me is that there are a lot of D4 cars out there which I'd love to own but have heard a few horror stories with the EGR valve. Is this a widespread problem or has anyone owned a D4 for a few years without it needing the EGR valve swapping?

·
Registered
729 Posts
I do love my D4 and have 20.000 trouble-free miles with it at the moment. Bear in mind that unhappy people are a lot more vocal than happy ones. There have been issues with the EGR valves for some on this forum, no way to deny that though. Why not consider a nice petrol one ? A modern petrol does not consume a lot more than a diesel. My previous car was a Superb 1.9 TSI which consumed on average 7 liter/100 km which is not bad considering the humongous size of that car. The D4 roughly 5.8. My next car will be petrol, if only because our government (Belgium) is going to make driving a diesel even more expensive than petrol...

·
Registered
382 Posts
What D4 horror stories have you heard? I know a couple of owners are little more disgruntled than others. It's just a light on and limp mode it's not like the wheels fall off and the engine goes bang.
My D4 is on 17k and yes has had work done to the egr system - new cooler, revised egr part, and modified software.

Doesn't bother me personally, plenty of new cars out there have teething issues and not a Volvo only problem.
And like Anixie says unhappy people are more vocal, that being said there is an issue there with the EGR and the D4's. As they are only a year old most still have 2 years warranty left.

Myself I wouldn't go for nearly new, there maybe a plethora of options the discounts on Volvo's are so good at the minute it's not worth it, other marques maybe like BMW.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both. I'm looking at diesel due to the fact I do 22,000 miles a year and it saves me money. I can only afford a D2 brand new sadly but there's lots of second hand nearly new D4s knocking about so need to make a decision I guess. Will have my Volvo by the end of the month hopefully ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a d4 delievered in March 15 with the following spec. Manual, se, leather seat upgrade with electric seats, sat nav, xenon lights, glass roof, tv, premier sound, so just about every extra that you can have. At about 8500 the check light came on into Warrington volvo they replaced the egr parts and car back to me. It still goes like the wind and does about 55mpg so don't take too much to heart the moans about the egr issues, it gets fixed under warranty. Do I love my volvo well it's ok but I would not buy another, noisy road noice at anything above 20mph, dab radio not very sensitive drops signal a lot, very bumpy ride and very hard, xenon lights could be better not that bright,,,,,,good points adaptive cruise is great, glass sunroof is excellent, leather blond seating looks great and is really comfortable all in all can p11d value was £35k with every extra avaiable and sure is not worth that amount. Next car will be a jag xe lower cost and better resell

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! I am an owner of a V40 since December 2014! I have been very much satisfied from this car!
One year now i face a problem that becomes bigger and no engineer from the official distributor service or individual can find out the source of this problem.

The engine cooland liquid is disappearing without finding where it drops, there are no leakage signs anywhere!!!
This is happening when the temperature of the car is high, after driving 40km and when the outside temperature is high it happens even after driving 20km.

The official distributor service have replaced the water pump to solve this problem, but nothing changed. The solution they gave me
after was to start replacing other parts without knowing if the problem will be solved.
I don't have the warranty any more so this is a very expensive solution with the risk the problem not be fixed.

Does anyone have any idea for this problem?

·
Registered
7 Posts
coolant leak

Hi! I am an owner of a V40 since December 2014! I have been very much satisfied from this car!
One year now i face a problem that becomes bigger and no engineer from the official distributor service or individual can find out the source of this problem.

The engine cooland liquid is disappearing without finding where it drops, there are no leakage signs anywhere!!!
This is happening when the temperature of the car is high, after driving 40km and when the outside temperature is high it happens even after driving 20km.

The official distributor service have replaced the water pump to solve this problem, but nothing changed. The solution they gave me
after was to start replacing other parts without knowing if the problem will be solved.
I don't have the warranty any more so this is a very expensive solution with the risk the problem not be fixed.

I had a similar problem with my old Ford Focus. The garage said it was fine and nothing to worry about... my blown head gasket a week later said otherwise. Id take it to the garage and get them to check your exhaust, you may have an issue with your DPF. if its blocked and not doing its re-gen cycle properly it could send exhaust fumes back through your engine to the coolant. May sound a bit outlandish but I had traces of exhaust gases in my coolant and also had a blocked DPF. Worth a look. (PLEASE NOTE this happened to my old Ford not my Volvo but could be a similar problem).

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
46 Posts

Hi there, had the exact same problem with my D2. It is the head gasket, mine also needed a cylinder head. Would genuinely rule out everything else as I feel this is your problem I had the exact same problem as you. Get it repaired under warranty or expect a big bill :(

·
Registered
27 Posts

Same issue here with my four year old D2. 75K on the clock and the water was disappearing for a long time. Water pump replaced and same problem. Head off and it turns out the block is at fault. The car has been sat in MK Milton Keynes for the last 8 months.

If you have any active warranty insist they take the head off and look down the bores or you might be saddled with a huge bill.

Stephen

·
Registered
122 Posts
I picked up a D3 R Design Pro in late January with just under 6000 on the clock and 11 months old. The price was just over £17000 from a main dealer. The list price because of the extras on it was over £33000. It appears to be an Ex Volvo car. The extras include the Winter Pack and the Xenium Pack, Premium Metallic Paint, Spare Wheel and it is an automatic. There are often some good deals on the nearly new market.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts