Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Results D4 Remap + do88 intercooler

Hi all,

Just wanted to share some data on the remap that has been performed today.

Mods that have been done:
- do88 intercooler upgrade
- EGR and DPF
- K&N filter

Normal tuning package (not the extreme).

Here are the dyno results. Let me know your thoughts.

Runs are in 5th gear.
With stock map, you see sudden drop-off when the limiter kicks in.
The biggest difference is the insane boost between 3000 and 4000 RPM.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks to be a good remap no spikes holds boost well have you had dpf removed and egr turned off who did the remap did they have to remove the ecu

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, EGR is turned off, DPF deleted and regen disabled. Tuning was done by Unlimited Tuning.
There is a protection on the ECU, so the ECU had to be removed and fixed first (under left front fender).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
They have sub-contracted the mechanical work and they have yet to place the bottom plate which requires some minor modifications.
The instructions say that the bumper has to be cut slightly in order for it to fit back.
You can view the installation instructions on do88 or BSR website. I've ordered mine from bsr.se

We think that the boost in the higher end of the RPM spectrum is related to the intercooler.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, you can guess what my mother language is ^_^

Took it for a drive today and its driving really well.

There are some sweat spots in 3rd and 4th gear (120 to 160km/h) where it flies.
From standstill it feels like the clutch is even slipping a bit when shifting to 3rd.

Very happy with the results so far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Think I want to install that intercooler now. I noticed the same things in 3rd and 4th gear also, 4th has a lot of pull and boost in my tune, the clutch slip not so much but I definitely feel it is under a lot of pressure when driving it harder, they are such a fun car to drive, what did you notice when you removed the dpf and egr have you had any soot issues from you exhaust?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It's a 4 cylinder.

Do you have more lag from the larger intercooler
At first yes. When I wen't for a test drive I noticed a huge lag especially when switching from 2nd to 3rd gear.
So that's when the tuner went back behind his PC and adjusted the map a little further which he succeeded in.
Now there is no real lag, its the same as with the stock vehicle.

The real benefit of DPF remove is the fact that reduced exhaust back pressure lets the turbo spool up faster.
However, the tuner mentioned that this was giving issues due to the turbo spooling up to quickly and then releasing pressure.
So, yes, all modifications need to work together and in concert to get a coherent performance.

The tuner had some dyno runs of V40 D4's withouth the DPF and intercooler mods. They showed that mine achieved torque 200RPM earlier.

@JD840, no soot issues, in the higher RPM there is a little bit of black smoke, but it's hardly visible, tuner expected more of it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Next upgrade would be the suspension, I'm eyeballing the Eibach pro street s set.
Although I might go for just the normal eibach lowering springs (5 times cheaper).

I don't think the exhaust muffler would make a huge difference. What do you think?
Also I like my car to be as quiet as possible, it's not a petrol sound.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I spent 1k on a custom made 3" dpf back exhaust with manderial bends, and it's reduced the turbo lag and throttle response, it's amazing but you won't get much out of a bolt on 400 quid exhaust though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Next upgrade would be the suspension, I'm eyeballing the Eibach pro street s set.
Although I might go for just the normal eibach lowering springs (5 times cheaper).

I don't think the exhaust muffler would make a huge difference. What do you think?
Also I like my car to be as quiet as possible, it's not a petrol sound.

The normal eibach is mounted under my car and I'm pretty satisfied with it. Not too hard/soft or too low... in my opinion.
I've also mounted the do88 intercooler, sports airfilter and the polestar catback exhaust incl a remapping (not a custom build).
Dont experience lag as far I can compare (upgraded part by part). From 2000rpm it flies when the NM's kick in BUT after 4000rpm it feels like missing an end shot. But that may be because the NM's kick in so hard around 2000rpm. Not completely sure about that, may need to go on a dyno and check if all is good.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, great info guys. Seems I still have some upgrades that can be done.
I'm putting the cat back exhaust on my shortlist. Should be the logical next step.

@Morewinner, where did you have your exhaust made? Was it including end-muffler?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good to know about the smoke without the dpf, pretty strict rule in Ireland about smoke on a car of my year, definitely go with a custom exhaust system I'm very happy with mine has a nice sound not to loud, with no muffler, I have decided to get the dpf removed and was interested to know how you went about it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Doing the DPF is pretty straight forward. I have done it with just chisel and hammer, but some people cut it open and weld it shut.
Took me about an hour of hammering to get the job done. Make sure you wear good respiratory protection, I think there is platinum in the material.
See attached some pics of the process. The light stuff is the DPF. The side with the dark honeycomb like structure and the 90° bend is the catalytic converter.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts