Volvo V40 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi quick question did you leave the catalytic side in the box and just hack out the dpf material or get rid is the box totally empty.thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you remove them and don't get them fully mapped out it can cause lots of error messages also they are going to start to measure what they remove from the exhaust gases for the mot

·
Registered
583 Posts
I would not expect a change in intercooler to show a big difference on a RR test.

Seeing the hard line cut off @ 3,400rpm on the stock engine tells me that extracting power above there is just exponentially shorting it's life.

I will try dig out mine some time.

Seeing my intercooler battle scarred and peened over I am sure a stock replacement would offer a 20% temp drop by allowing free air passage again.

You have motivated me to get the degreaser and jet wash out to give it a blast through and I think i'll try open a few of those closed voids ;-)

I wouldn't remove the DPF though - I am proud of my cars clean credentials

·
Registered
583 Posts
Doing the DPF is pretty straight forward. I have done it with just chisel and hammer, but some people cut it open and weld it shut.
Took me about an hour of hammering to get the job done. Make sure you wear good respiratory protection, I think there is platinum in the material.
See attached some pics of the process. The light stuff is the DPF. The side with the dark honeycomb like structure and the 90° bend is the catalytic converter.
I am likely wring but that looks more like a cat than a filter to me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Happy to hear that it has served as inspiration to you. I think the intercooler upgrade is definitely worth it.
The DPF, I'm not sure if I would do it again. It's actually DPF and CAT in one on the V40. Cat is metal DPF not.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Don't suppose anyone has a dimensional drawing of the original intercooler. Or one I could borrow and draw up - happy to share the drawing for the benefit of all thereafter. Thinking about getting one made. We have a co. making one for an air-cycle refrigeration system at the mo and really impressed with them.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Why not get the Do88? Keep your eyes on the BSR.se website. They have 20% discounts now and then.
There is really not a lot of room under the bumper and even getting this one installed is quite a challenge.
I have some images from Vida, and if you want I can measure up the old intercooler which I have here.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Why not get the Do88? Keep your eyes on the BSR.se website. They have 20% discounts now and then.
I did wonder about this but TBH the black put me off my belief was that it would kill the emissivity.

It would appear I may be wrong in this belief. https://dwattstraining.co.uk/understanding-emissivity/

They always paint rads black (likely for corrosion resistance), but all the intercoolers are usually raw alum.

So the Do88 is not out of the question, i just need to find time to do a bit more research into the black argument.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have some images from Vida, and if you want I can measure up the old intercooler which I have here.
That would be most appreciated, although I may be more inclined to trust my own measuring skills before committing to a custom built one. I must admit the Do88 with new interface pipes is starting to look more attractive.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
yeah, black seems to be functional in some way for absorbing heat, although I don't really understand why

·
Registered
Scandinavian explorer
5 Posts
Nice! I've been dreaming for a long time do88 intercooler ) Rica soft make 264 Hp from my 190 petrol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi folks,
I'm also considering doing a remap to my D4. Do you guys have any long term results and opinions? Is there any more risk associated with remapping an engine with 200k km's in it? I'm an average type of driver, nothing extreme so I don't think I give extra wear to the engine with a remap but you guys are way more informed than me, any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
János

21 - 36 of 36 Posts