Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just picked up my new MY15 R-design D4 190.

Does anyone else notice a long delay before speed picks up when accelerating e.g. from 30mph in 4th or 60mph in 5th gear.
All the reviews I have read say there is minimal turbo lag, but having just changed from an A3 (140hp) which had no problems at the same speed/gear combo, I would like to check there isn't some problem with the new car.

Or am I expecting too much and need to learn to be a bit less lazy and change down more :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Find this very hard to believe. I haven't driven the new D4 in the V40 but I have test driven it in the (heavier) V60 and I would say one of the features of the engine is its lack of any turbo lag. The Drive-E D4 is a twin-turbo sequential turbo with the smaller turbo specifically design to operate from very low revs to minimise any lag. If you are having problems with your D4 I would suggest a visit back to your dealer is warranted.

Tony

·
Registered
156 Posts
The car is brand new! Just wait till its done a few thousand miles and the motor has loosened up,you will be surprised!
Does this apply to my little D2 as well? Will it loosen up a little?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think it's someone yanking our chain...

There is absolutely nil, no, nada turbo lag (or any refusal to instantaneously start pulling) from 1,000 rpm

If i get chance I will run a vid of mine picking up from 30 mph in 4th (it instantly picks up from 25mph in 4th, and if teased will pick up from 20mph), it's just a grin from ear to ear :p

Reactions: AKD47

·
Registered
43 Posts
There must be something wrong with yours, mine goes like a rocket from a standstill. 1000 miles in and it just gets better and better. I drove a 140bhp VW Passat last week, which felt like a milkfloat with a flat battery by comparison.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No joke.
Thanks for the feedback, I'm now more convinced there is something wrong.

It has already been back to the dealers as emissions warning light came on after 150 miles - they said it was sensor fault which and they regenerated the DPF too. But the light came back on again 2 days later, so it's back at the garage again.

I haven't pushed it too hard - I was also thinking it would need 1000 miles to loosen up (cliveawn - not 1000 Swedish miles, I hope) - but it does take off quickly if dropped down a gear or two; however almost no acceleration at 1000rpm. I will try and post some video of this if there is still a prob when I get it back.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There is definitely something wrong then - back to the dealer!

To be honest, I drove mine 'normally' from zero miles and it was super torquey from the beginning, there is literally no turbo lag. At 70mph in 6th I keep going for 7th because the urge makes it feel like I'm in a lower gear.

·
Registered
591 Posts
To be honest, I drove mine 'normally' from zero miles and it was super torquey from the beginning
Ditto... Talking of normal have you noticed the 5 & 6 glow red when you get to 4.5k :angel:

It has already been back to the dealers as emissions warning light came on after 150 miles - they said it was sensor fault which and they regenerated the DPF too. But the light came back on again 2 days later, so it's back at the garage again.

I was also thinking it would need 1000 miles to loosen up

I will try and post some video of this if there is still a prob when I get it back.
Definitely an issue then esp with the problems you have had, will try get a vid over weekend to give you an idea

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definitely an issue then esp with the problems you have had, will try get a vid over weekend to give you an idea
Cheers, would be good to compare with my video - https://vid.me/kqu - as I still think I might be imagining the problem.
Dealer has acknowledged there is a fault code registering, but not saying there is a loss of power. The T4 V40 courtesy car is noticeably quicker in 6th.

My wife thinks we got a Friday afternoon car, but hopefully this gets resolved soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That seems quite sluggish to me!! I'm pretty certain my D3 is quicker than that, I'm at 90 before I know it. I'd be in the dealer tomorrow if I were you asking them to check. In 6th gear at 70 there should be a nice surge of power and that's without putting your foot all the way down.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Cheers, would be good to compare with my video - https://vid.me/kqu - as I still think I might be imagining the problem.
Dealer has acknowledged there is a fault code registering, but not saying there is a loss of power. The T4 V40 courtesy car is noticeably quicker in 6th.

My wife thinks we got a Friday afternoon car, but hopefully this gets resolved soon.
just taken mine to Elvington (ahem) and done same test

mine takes 4 seconds across the same 10 mph range in 6th

This is the pickup in 4th gear from 24 mph, start with a 1/4" press, then a 1/2" press of throttle; first run and nothing prepared to achieve it, 2 people in car, 24-70 = approx 9 seconds

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, this is nearly 8 seconds, so definitely a problem (the A3 did the same in 5s). I really hope that the garage cure this while they are tinkering with the dpf.

Thanks a lot for that, seems we both do a lot of testing on private roads ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So... we weren't imagining the lack of power. Dealer has found one of the turbos is not working and needs replacing (the smaller one that kicks in at lower revs). Pretty big job to fix - engine removal etc.
Even Volvo Sweden are monitoring this apparently.

Without the feedback from the forum, I probably wouldn't have mentioned the acceleration a second time, thanks everyone!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.