Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My D2 ES has DAB radio installed and I am finding that the station(BBC2) on occasions cuts out for a second or two. Presumably it is because of poor reception. Is it possible to tweak the sensitivity of the radio to improve reception? I have not had similar problems with previous cars

·
Registered
202 Posts
I too am finding the BBC National broadcasts to be very susceptible to dropouts, as often once very 30 seconds. Stations reported as local suffer a lot less. I'm within 10 miles of the major transmitter and 6 from the city centre relay, so as far as I can tell both local and national transmissions are coming from the same transmitters.
Does anyone know if there is any way of displaying the signal quality in the Sensus system as other manufacturers have this ability to monitor DAB signals.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Cueba 11, I am in a similar area to yourself and I find driving up the M6 that the reception drops out frequently on most DAB stations. Previously I drove an Astra Coupe, with DAB, but never had reception problems unless I was in an area surrounded by hills.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have a March MY13 R-Design Lux Nav, so had to spec the DAB radio...again a valid comment from @boru if you haven't had a DAB radio before, how do you know what the standard is?

I live in Kent and have thus far figured out that there are four "channels" for me...Kent, London3, D1 National and BBC National. I do not have any problems with the National channels apart from the odd drop out that occurs in the same place every day.

London3 drops off outside London after about 20 miles or so and here in Kent, North is worse than South! I can't comment on other manufacturers DAB quality, but at the same time as questioning Volvo's, have put it down to the transmitter quality where I am i.e. inconsistent.

The key thing to do in a new area is to trigger the "ensemble learn" function and that will re-tune your radio to what's available.

Hope that helps! Darren

·
Registered
718 Posts
You can check the coverage of digital radio in the UK here http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/coverage/postcodesearch/
A quick check shows noticable differences even over around 10 miles.
I looked at the coverage for Tunbridge Wells, and found that there are NO BBC stations nor Classic FM available.
IMHO DAB in cars is far too early.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Drove down the M61 past the main transmitter on Winter Hill with it in plain sight today and the BBC channels dropped out. Dealer visit to be arranged.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think its a poor dab receiver set up, as others have mentioned the dab on other vehicles drops out a lot less frequently. My last Ford very rarely lost signal, only down in the bottom of a valley, or a remote coastline. My V40 drops out within 100 yds of my house and at some locations is in and out like a demented hokey pokey.:(

·
Registered
382 Posts
Mine occasionally drops but if you listen to radio 4 -I know it's probably not the usual station for high tech young Volvo drivers, you will hear it often mentioned that DAB just isn't good enough for mobile use.

My radio has vhf, can't you listen on there?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mine too ..

I had this issue for a few weeks when my car was new. It seems to have settled down a lot when we stay local. I suspect it was learning the transmitters and then eventually settled on the strongest all round.

Travel from Portsmouth to Southampton however and the 1/2 sec pause becomes noticeable again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
DAB useless

You are lucky it only cuts out for a few seconds, mine can cut out for minutes at a time. It is so bad my children will not tolerate the DAB on at all. Volvo and my dealer say it is functioning within the specification but I would never recommend a Volvo DAB radio to anyone.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Before we start slagging off Volvo (@rebecca), let's remember that DAB is a "standard" and is a digital medium that is sensitive to local geography....I've said this to someone else who was slagging off Volvo Sat Nav...i.e. Volvo just provide the screen not the information. For me, I like DAB as it means at Christmas, I can listen to "Smooth Xmas" on the M25! DAB will drop out, the same that some of us will live in areas where DAB is sh1t...do we complain to Roberts, Tesco or anybody else on the digital radio...no! It's just a thing so shhhh...it's now a freebee and if you don't like it, go back to FM or AM even!!!?

·
Registered
44 Posts
thats what you get for living in lincolnshire yellowbelly :p
Seriously tho - can anyone help ? my manual ( the one about the size of 'War and Peace ' ) tells me i have an 'AUX' input in the centre console, but there is only a usb connection,,,,is this normal ? I swear i can't see the usual 3.5mm jack socket i would expect ?????????

·
Registered
395 Posts
My DAB drops out frequently on the same trips that my Astra DAB worked perfectly. I have also noted that the Ensemble Learn gives me far fewer stations. I guess it is all to do with the aerial and reception ability of the Volvo.
OldCroc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not only is my DAB radio bad often, dropping out for minutes at a time but today in the fog I had " no reception " for the best part of my 10 mile journey to work. Dreadful I would strongly advise against DAB. it's not as if I live in the middle of nowhere this was around Oxford.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.