Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are they called dashboard cameras when they are inevitably stuck to the windscreen or mirror?

In any case I am thinking about getting one, for example:

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobius-1080P-Action-Camera-Recorder/dp/B00FQFO1O0[/ame]

Most people stick them out of the way on the rear view mirror. However my V40 has the pedestrian airbag thing that means a lot of the area of the windscreen under the mirror is already full of electronics.

Anyone got a camera in a similar setup - what model did you go for and how did you connect and mount yours?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really would prefer a rear facing and forward facing one, but will probably stick to just forward. £50-£100 spent now could save many £100s in insurance claims, and how frustrating is it when a bad driver or fraudster gets away with lying?

The number of conmen out there is increasing - they will reverse into you and claim you rear ended them. No witnesses = AT BEST a 50/50 claim on your insurance and loss of NCB.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I read a write up in either auto express of Which

Will try find it as one of the cheapest was the best

Reactions: robathome

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow AKD - that is an interesting review but a £200+ camera. I was looking for something more £50, but as this blog mentions, fitting it in around the rear view mirror with the city safety gubbins blocking the area is the challenging bit.

For £50 you can get a decent quality cam, but fitting it so it doesn't look stupid/obvious or block my vision will be the fun bit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've got a Mobius, but don't yet have a V40 to fit it to... I do however have it fitted to my Leon with some velcro and a headtorch strap - this setup should work on most cars:

Video quality in daylight is very good, but it does suffer with a little noise and auto-brightness issues at night (might just be the config of mine, though). The wiring loops across the passenger roof handle, down the back of the B-pillar and under the floor mats to the 12V socket in the centre console. Not the most glamorous of setups, but works a treat.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks - I was aware of Mobius being a good cam, I was after something a bit more elegant that could be kept permanently in the car but firily well hidden from would be thieves.

Will await to see if anyone else with a V40 has a nice solution near the city safety sensors....

·
Registered
273 Posts
As I'm in the Insurance game, I'd fit in car cctv without hesitation. In fact I have suggested to Volvo that if the day came that they remodelled the camera array they already have to install a discreet cctv unit, I'd order it as an option, even if it was £500....they're invaluable!

·
Registered
591 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
NextBase may be a new name to you, but the company produces a range of dashboard cameras along with in-car DVD players. The 402G Professional is their most expensive dash cam. But does it offer the image quality to live up to the price tag?
The NextBase 402G shot to the top of the class as our highest-scoring dash cam. Thanks to its good quality in daylight and at night, this dash cam earns itself a Best Buy rating - and outperforms several models which cost twice as much. The NextBase is the best dash cam we've tested by quite a margin; if you can stretch to around £150 for a dash cam, this is the one to go for.
What is it?

The 402G Professional is NextBase's top of the range dash cam. This dash cam gives a wide 140 degree view of the road ahead and has a lens which lets lots of light in - meaning bright and clear footage during day and night.
The 402G is packed with useful features, such as GPS tracking (which shows your location should you need to prove where a collision took place), and it measures g force - automatically saving footage of collisions or moments of heavy braking. This device records high quality Full-HD video and has a large 2.7-inch screen for playing back footage in the car.
How good is video quality?

Video quality from the NextBase is excellent. In bright light footage is sharp, number plates and street signs are easily legible from more than 15m away, and you should have no trouble using footage to prove exactly what happened in the event of a collision.
The camera does struggle slightly in very bright direct sunlight and driving on unlit roads at night where there is a noticeable drop in detail, but overall quality is still better than any other device tested. The 402G shows a good level of detail even over longer distances and in our night test we could read number plates from around 10m away.
How easy is it to use?

The 402G is very easy to use once mounted. Plug the dash cam into your car's cigarette lighter or power point and the camera automatically starts recording when you switch on the car ignition. Should the memory card fill up the 402G automatically starts recording over the oldest footage.
This dash cam also registers g force and automatically saves footage of collisions or heavy braking. These are then protected from being overwritten, meaning that you can download footage straight to your computer when you get home. The 402G is compact enough to be positioned behind a rear view mirror, where it is only partially visible, making it far from intrusive.
Is there anything I should watch for?

While the 402G is easy to use and mount on your windscreen it is tricky to remove the camera from the mount. If you want to adjust any settings while on the move, the onscreen menus are a little difficult to navigate, thanks to odd button placement.
Is there anything else I should know?

This dash cam records crisp, clear audio and gives you the option of taking still photos; which may come in handy if you have a collision and need to take photos at the scene.
The power cable is long at nearly 4m, so you should be able to route it unobtrusively around the windscreen and down to the power outlet. The dash cam also has a parking mode, where as long as it's plugged in it should automatically start recording if someone drives into your car.
Should I buy it?

Yes. The NextBase is head and shoulders above all the other dash cams we've tested - even those that cost twice as much. Daylight quality is very good with number plates clearly legible most of the time. The camera also performed better than rivals at night and it is packed with useful features including GPS location tracking, a still camera option and event recording - where footage of collisions is automatically saved.
Take into account the price and we'd highly recommend this compact dash cam.

Pros: Good daylight quality, stronger low light performance than rivals. Many features. Good value.
Cons: Could show more details in low light. Tricky to remove camera from mount.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting stuff, thanks.
The Customer Views are interesting too - many have had problems fitting the camera, and I think the V40 will prove particularly tricky - hence me asking if anyone had done this! I guess I may have to be the trailblazer.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Worth their weight in gold !
I looked at them last February. I was indecisive about model, price, reviews, etc but during that time I rear-ended somebody on a VERY BUSY roundabout. He claimed that a 'blue car' cut across him and caused him to do an emergency stop (I didn't see the 'blue car' and he said it didn't stop). I put that down to bad luck on my part until 4 personal injury claims were reported in the accident. I had already reported the ghost blue car to my insurers but when my phone pics showed that there were only 2 occupants in the other car it triggered bells in their fraud department. The case is still ongoing but how I wish I had bought a dashcam to supply evidence of (or not) the ghost 'blue car' :-(
P.S. Even if the other driver is 'done' for fraud he can still claim his 2 personal injuries for the 'real' occupants - the law is mad !

·
Registered
612 Posts
Sorry to drag this up again! I'm looking at buying the Blackvue DR650GW 2CH (Front & Rear cameras) to replace my Transcend DP200. The latter has been brilliant but want a front and rear setup and the Blackvue looks like it'll also be well hidden by the RV mirror.

Question then:
How hard is it to hardwire dash cam?
I ask as the Blackvue has a parking mode which I'm not sure if I want to use or not but needs to be hard wired for power (has a cut off switch to turn off power from car battery manually and also an auto cut off once below a certain voltage).

Basically is it idiot proof? As I am the worlds least practical man, whatever can go wrong does go wrong! Or I could just plug it into the cig lighter as I did with my current one.

Cheers muchly!
Dave

·
Registered
612 Posts
Actually scratch that! Just found a good video regarding the installation of 'power magic pro' for use with the black vue. It appears you just piggyback 2 fuses and stick the ground to the body and jobs a good un!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.