Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

My car had had a hard life so far. I am yet to finish my full tank of fuel and it had carried a full Ikea kitchen including 3 worktops, as well as having a couple of full loads of belongings in our house move.

The upshot is that i have managed to cause 3 scratches in the dash. One of which is a bit nasty. It is like a cut no more than one mm in depth and 100 mm long.

Any suggestions about anything i could try to repair it diy or pro.

Thanks

James

·
Registered
44 Posts
JamesM said:
Hi all.

My car had had a hard life so far. I am yet to finish my full tank of fuel and it had carried a full Ikea kitchen including 3 worktops, as well as having a couple of full loads of belongings in our house move.

The upshot is that i have managed to cause 3 scratches in the dash. One of which is a bit nasty. It is like a cut no more than one mm in depth and 100 mm long.

Thanks

James
any pics..?

·
Registered
14 Posts
JamesM said:
Hi all.

Thanks

James
In my hobby I do quite a bit of model filling to metals and plastics -I suggest the following:- Carefully mask either side of the scratch with good quality low tack masking tape -using a small flat spatula or flexible filling knife fill the crack with a modellers flexible filler (I would use and recommend a material called 'squadron' which comes in a small tube and is a green colour- you will not find black)
Allow an hour or two to fully set -keep the masking tape in place and using a 'oo' fine sable or good quality brush 'touch in' using Revell or Humbrol acrylic modellers paint(not enamel paint) as the dash is quite shiny use
black silk or gloss(not matt) which you can obtain in small pots.When dry after say no less than 30 mins at ambient temp remove masking tape.
Note:- As there is quite a profile in the V40 dash surface if you are adept enough and have access to a handful of black rubber crumb you could incorporate this into the filler to simulate the surface profile.:thumbup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tranran said:
JamesM said:
Hi all.

Thanks

James
In my hobby I do quite a bit of model filling to metals and plastics -I suggest the following:- Carefully mask either side of the scratch with good quality low tack masking tape -using a small flat spatula or flexible filling knife fill the crack with a modellers flexible filler (I would use and recommend a material called 'squadron' which comes in a small tube and is a green colour- you will not find black)
Allow an hour or two to fully set -keep the masking tape in place and using a 'oo' fine sable or good quality brush 'touch in' using Revell or Humbrol acrylic modellers paint(not enamel paint) as the dash is quite shiny use
black silk or gloss(not matt) which you can obtain in small pots.When dry after say no less than 30 mins at ambient temp remove masking tape.
Note:- As there is quite a profile in the V40 dash surface if you are adept enough and have access to a handful of black rubber crumb you could incorporate this into the filler to simulate the surface profile.:thumbup:
Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed response.

I count myself as pretty handy, but the thought of filling and painting the dash fills me with dread.

I have been thinking about this for a while since posting and thought about rubbing a good thick layer of the solid type black shoe polish into the scratches and leaving for a while before buffing off gently, with a view to hoping that it fills the deeper bits. I know it won't be perfect, but I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.[hr]
tsopanoskylo said:
JamesM said:
Hi all.

Thanks

James
any pics..?
I'll try and get some pics uploaded today.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts