Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I hope you are all doing great.

I am going to move to France in the next few months and I am currently thinking if it would be worth changing the dashboard for my current V40 CC D2 Automatic (63 plate) from UK to EU.

I have tried to search online but I couldn't get much information about it, estimated costs and places where this could be carried out.

Any kind of advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Cosmin

·
Read Only
71 Posts
well, my first line of thought would be to sell the car, and purchase a lhd version in France, unless you plan to return to the uk regularly it seems better to have a car for right hand traffic.... a work colleague priced the lcd r design cluster at around £650, plus any programming required

·
Registered
286 Posts
If the car already has a digital TFT cluster, any Volvo dealer should be able to reconfigure it through VIDA. Alternatively you can do it through VDash, but you'd need a DiCE unit and to spend some time cracking the CEM PIN first. So if you don't already have a DiCE and suitable PC/laptop to run VDash on, a dealer may be cheaper. In either case, it can be returned to UK spec if required in the future.

If the car has an analogue display, it can be configured by the driver to show digital speed in kmh in the centre of the speedometer, or again you could install and configure a TFT display to EU spec with VDash. Just need a secondhand TFT unit (often several on eBay) and to run the VDash TFT wizard. Cost is about 120 euros for reprogramming through VDash, and probably about £80 for a good cluster. It doesn't matter whether the cluster comes from a petrol or diesel car, the only requirement is it must be from a car with the same transmission type as yours, because the gear change display is fixed to either manual or automatic in the clusters.

Again, if you don't already have a DiCE and PC, the dealer installation linked to above is not a bad price. Used to be around £1K for a TFT install from UK dealers I believe.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Whilst in France last year I simply set all reading to metric, so the speed and fuel useage showed correctly.
A lot cheaper than a new dashboard. I have the analogue display.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I regularly do the reverse, take my lhd V40 to Ireland. I find no problem in adopting to driving on the "wrong" side of the road, perhaps because I drove rhd cars for 20 years in Australia. Indeed, it is especially useful on Irish country roads, where you can get much closer to the hedges. The only problem is overtaking, and there one must simply be patient. I'd give it a try - you'd be surprised at how quickly you get used to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I lived in France for 10 years and used my RHD V70 all the time without any problem. Never changed a thing on it apart from the headlights (compulsory for a French registered car) and never had a problem driving. The pain was getting it registered over there - must have had about 10 hoops to jump through. Now in the UK I am using my LHD Swift and again the only change I made was the headlights*. LHD/RHD, mph/kph it's no problem - one adjusts immediately depending on which car one is in. We have been running both cars together for 13 years now.
*Requirements are more strict for an imported continental car under 10 years of age and it would probably have been uneconomical to import "un voiture moins age" (accent over that last e!)

·
Registered
8 Posts
As usual I brought my LHD Volvo V50 to Europe in May, had expensive problems with it so changed it for a LHD 2017 V40 D2 which I am now planning to register UK. My car has full LED system headlights, does anyone know if these are adjustable or, as Volvo dealer in UK told me, I need complete new units 😳. On the V50 I could adjust them myself! I know how to change KPH to MPH. Also, although there are fog lights on both sides only the left one had bulb, no bulb in rhs! Had one fitted, does not work, so assume this will have to go to Volvo for computer to change?
V55/5 is nightmare, but getting there .
Attempting to get all paperwork in order for UK, so any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
286 Posts
My 2017 T2 has LED headlights. They aren't adjustable, and although the handbook says that no masking is necessary when driving in Europe, there is a definite upswing to the left in the beam pattern, so I would imagine that you will need new headlights. I assume you are referring to the rear foglights. Only one is meant to illuminate, according to LHD or RHD the one on the offside (away from the kerb). You are correct that the CEM will need reprogramming to switch on the correct lamp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2017 T2 has LED headlights. They aren't adjustable, and although the handbook says that no masking is necessary when driving in Europe, there is a definite upswing to the left in the beam pattern, so I would imagine that you will need new headlights. I assume you are referring to the rear foglights. Only one is meant to illuminate, according to LHD or RHD the one on the offside (away from the kerb). You are correct that the CEM will need reprogramming to switch on the correct lamp.
That is rubbish as would have to change again next May when I return to Europe 🙈😡

·
Registered
286 Posts
That is rubbish as would have to change again next May when I return to Europe 🙈😡
I thought you were trying to re-register your car in the UK. If you are only intending to be in the UK temporarily as a visitor, no need to re-register with DVLA, submit for SVA after changing headlights and reconfiguring the rear foglight etc. OTOH if you do wish to permanently register it in the UK, there is no need to change again if you are temporarily out of the country in the future, i.e. in Europe. Permanently importing/exporting/re-registering every year (or even every 6 months) between different countries is just inviting a world of pain, unnecessary inconvenience and expense, surely?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am UK resident, therefore need to register it, I am told you are not allowed to drive a EU registered car if your prime residence is in the UK! I live in UK usually late Oct to early May, then I come to Austria until Oct every year. On my V50 it was 5 minute job to change the headlights, that is why I am trying to find out if new headlights are necessary for the V40 & my lifestyle, as I would have to have spare headlights & change them twice a year. If so, a retrograde step from Volvo 😠, may just have to find Volvo dealer here to ask the question face to face 🤨

·
Registered
8 Posts
BTW, I have driven my LHD V50 to Austria for past 9 years without problems, obviously left it UK registered, insured it for 180 days in EU & changed the headlight setting.

·
Registered
286 Posts
So you need to import the car to the UK, change the headlamps etc. to comply with UK regs. But when you return to Austria for less than 12 months at a time as a UK resident, probably no need to change them over again as you will be a temporary visitor with a UK registered car. I'm not certain about the 12 month limit - you'd need to check that with the Austrian authorities - but in the UK you can temporarily import a foreign registered vehicle as a visitor for no more than 6 months, although the limit increases to 12 months in certain circumstances, such as a foreign national being employed or studying in the UK. In those circumstances, the car only has to comply with the requirements of its country of registration, so the rear fog light being on the UK side is acceptable in foreign countries in those circumstances, in the same way that the UK accepts that foreign registered vehicles temporarily in the UK will not comply fully with UK regs. According to the handbook for my 2017 V40, Volvo say that nothing needs doing to LED headlamps to drive on the right abroad, so once you have fitted RHD headlamps to pass the VCA test, you may not need to do anything at all when you make future visits to Austria, although earlier halogen headlamps require adhesive masks to be fitted to the lamps to block the left upswing of their beams. That may be because the upswing of the beam on the LED headlamps is not as pronounced as it used to be on the halogen headlamps, and it also has a flat cut off albeit higher than the cut off directly ahead of the car.

There are still a lot of cars, vans and trucks that need modifications to their headlamps for driving on the opposite side of the road, so your V50 was more of an exception than the rule.

Incidentally, if you have the analog instrument cluster, you can change easily between MPH and KPH, but with the TFT cluster it has to be reprogrammed by Volvo for either UK or EU compatibility (although it can be done as well with third party software called VDash, but you need the correct equipment to connect to the car). So with a TFT cluster in UK mode, you can't change the default display from MPH to KPH without reprogramming, but you are able to display KPH at the bottom of the cluster with one of the trip computer settings. The main speedometer display (or numeric display in performance mode) will always read MPH though and other readings default to imperial gallons or litres according to the region the cluster is programmed for.

I don't know if Volvo changed this on later cars, but that's how it is on my 2017MY V40 and earlier. There have been several post about it on various forums over the years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank for your very detailed reply.
I have just received reply from Volvo quote "I can confirm that your vehicle should have active headlights. This will auto adjust the light to suit depending on which side of the road you are driving on" unquote. So it looks like I do not need to change to RHD lights, but I shall see 🤨. Keeping fingers crossed. I have already tested setting kmh to mph & yes easily done, so just to finish filling in V55/5 & foglight to sort, but that requires visit to Volvo, but again thank you for your very helpful reply.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts