Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

out in the V40 D2 yesterday ,when the car was started there was no air con or cruise control working so pulled over ,switched off and on again ,this seemed to clear the fault.Further down the road the car started to show warning lights like a Christmas tree,they all came on more than once,added to this no indicators,no speedo display.Called local dealer Stoneacre of Grimsby who could have a look Saturday !!!! Closer to home had to stop,when we got back in car it would not start.eventually after 45 mins it started and we limped home,called Volvo assist who sent an engineer,plugged in to computer which showed around 70 faults.He explained that the car had confused itself and cleared all the faults,now its a case of suck it and see.

Anyone else had these issues ?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Nothing like that, the odd glitch now and again, which is normal for most software products.

·
Registered
85 Posts
No I haven't had any problems like you have posted. Hope it all sorted and it doesn't happen again.

D3 SE LUX WITH NAV FLAMENCO RED.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a similar issue on my previous car, a Seat Leon... Exactly the same issues. When the engineer was called he said too that the car had confused itself and just needed a reset. Never had an issue since. My V40 is only a few days old, lovely everything about it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update

Hi All

well update on this it happened again on 1st October ,Volvo assist were called and took the car away to the dealer in Grimsby who had it 2 days and said it was cured,low and behold it has happened again today and will be going back into the dealer-I am fast losing faith in this otherwise great car.How can I have any belief when this keeps happening and leaves me with multi engine management lights and no speedo or indicators and then fails to start .

Any advice on next steps as I am convinced the dealer is just resetting and hoping for the best

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would be firm and tell them that this is not what you expect from a new car. There can only be so many occasions where they can reasonably ask you to return the car before you expect a replacement.

Only issue I have encountered with my D2 is the "stop-start" not enabling, which is fixed by powering off the engine and powering it on again. Like any machine that runs on software, it can crash occasionally. Usually, as with your PC, a restart usually does the trick!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi All
well my car has now been with Volvo Grimsby since Friday 24th October -they still cannot find out what is happening to make the car do this .As this is a company car I have also been speaking with Lex. I have asked today when I am likely to see the car again and was told I need to be patient.i am now seriously considering rejecting the car as not fit for purpose.To cap it all the dealer ship have lent me a car that is nowhere near the spec that mine is with lots of missing goodies.I have asked for an equivalent car to mine "but this is not their policy " This might well be my first and last Volvo . I am not happy.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Nor should you be happy. Having said that I have now had 3 Volvos, all of which have been fine.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Its a shame that this has happened with your dash. Hopefully it will be fixed soon and you can get some confidence back with the car. I have not experienced one glitch like this in 38,000 miles. :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Its a shame that this has happened with your dash. Hopefully it will be fixed soon and you can get some confidence back with the car. I have not experienced one glitch like this in 38,000 miles. :)
Ticking time bomb! The experts have foretold it.

I'm sorry your having problems Grimsby, hope you have your issue sorted soon one way or the other.

·
Registered
729 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Had my car since 2012, in that time I've had the heater blowing cold air on two occasions, both times when the engine had been up to normal operating temperature. On both occasions I've switched the engine off for about five minutes, and it has reset itslf.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did the problem ever get solve my 2013 v40 d2 has just started to do the same thing no speedo no indicators air bags all need a service brakes failure power steering fail will not start about 8 fault messages plus engine check light stop it and restart seems to reset it then after a short drive everything starts beeping and flashing again stuck on the drive way till Thursday when it goes in

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi,

I had exactly the same thing on my 2015 D2 (1.6 Ford engine) Cross Country. A few weeks leading up to total failure I had a few intermittent fault codes and alarms but they disappeared, so I thought nothing of it as modern cars are virtually computers on wheels. Anyway, one morning when setting off to work, I pushed the start button, the engine didn't start and the dash was like Las Vegas, it appeared as if every fault under the sun had appeared. Tried everything to start it to no avail, also the headlights wouldn't go off and the car wouldn't lock!
Phoned Volvo assist and within the hour guy turns up with the obligatory lap top. After having his head under the bonnet for a while he told me it will have to go to dealers. He over rode the faults with special sofrware so that he could drive it to the local dealer.
They had it for a few days and when I picked it up I asked what it was. They told me it was a multi pin plug to the ecu that had got corroded and it had sent the ecu haywire. He said that they have seen it before and that Volvo have modified the plug to prevent it happening again. When I said " oh its a common fault then" he replied with a smirk "Volvo don't have common faults sir!".
I would get the ecu plug checked out before it leaves you stranded!
Best of luck.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi,

I had exactly the same thing on my 2015 D2 (1.6 Ford engine) Cross Country. A few weeks leading up to total failure I had a few intermittent fault codes and alarms but they disappeared, so I thought nothing of it as modern cars are virtually computers on wheels. Anyway, one morning when setting off to work, I pushed the start button, the engine didn't start and the dash was like Las Vegas, it appeared as if every fault under the sun had appeared. Tried everything to start it to no avail, also the headlights wouldn't go off and the car wouldn't lock!
Phoned Volvo assist and within the hour guy turns up with the obligatory lap top. After having his head under the bonnet for a while he told me it will have to go to dealers. He over rode the faults with special sofrware so that he could drive it to the local dealer.
They had it for a few days and when I picked it up I asked what it was. They told me it was a multi pin plug to the ecu that had got corroded and it had sent the ecu haywire. He said that they have seen it before and that Volvo have modified the plug to prevent it happening again. When I said " oh its a common fault then" he replied with a smirk "Volvo don't have common faults sir!".
I would get the ecu plug checked out before it leaves you stranded!
Best of luck.
Ignoring the spam that latched onto your use of the name of a city in the USA, I would suggest a flat battery or faulty alternator.

I've never had it when driving, but when my car has had a flat battery in the past (It was left for a few months when I was working overseas - coincidentally in the city with lots of lights in your post)

The battery had enough juice to power the dashboard, but all the warning lights came on, all the error messages appeared and the digital dash finally showed a test card pattern before dying completely.

Full charge of the battery and the issue went away

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had this happen to me and it took a very long time to find.
They told me they had to re do all the sensor connectors.
They suspected one at the rear of the car but it took them a long time to diagnose it and ended up performing a reconnection on all the sensors to make sure there was no further issue.
Been a year since and no issues touch wood

1 - 17 of 17 Posts