Volvo V40 Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
This is now officially driving me nuts! Installed into auto dim circuit and all seemed to be working. ... then you start the car and it turns off. Turn car off it comes back on again. Suggestions? The 5v power unit had a live and accessories lead so ive just used the live feed and taped off the accessories feed.
Make sure you are using the correct connections on the mirror connector.
Looking at the wiring diagram, the switched live is on pin 1 (Violet wire) and the ground is on pin 2 (Black & White wire). Pin 3 (White & Brown wire) is the LIN bus connection - you don't want to touch that at all.
I would also use the accessory (switched live) input on your adaptor instead of the permanent live input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yup will give it a go. For sure followed instructions above for live (purple) and negative (black/ white) and didn't go near the brown...

·
Registered
613 Posts
This is now officially driving me nuts! Installed into auto dim circuit and all seemed to be working. ... then you start the car and it turns off. Turn car off it comes back on again. Suggestions? The 5v power unit had a live and accessories lead so ive just used the live feed and taped off the accessories feed.

There are three wires on the mirror connector.

A switched 12V feed (Violet), a connection to the LIN data bus (White/Brown) and a Ground (Black/White).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Right think we've got it working! Yellow acc wire appears to do absolutely nothing on its own but instructions did seem to indicate that combing the acc and live would sort out what seems to be a issue with the camera using parking guard mode.

Will keep an eye on it especially in relation to being paranoid about the battery going flat but otherwise looks good.

Thanks for all input.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cheechy any chance you could upload some pics and possibly links to the bits I would need to do the same.

I presume from what I have read and seen this leaves a usb charging port on the outside of your mirror which you plug the dashcam into?

Also do you need a special tool to pop off the mirror casing,

cheers
Neil

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have my blackvue connected to the mirror, and it has worked fine.

I am about to swap to a V90, and was wondering if the wiring to the mirror is similar (same colours)

·
Registered
3 Posts
What 12v to 5v USB converter have people used? As currently have dash cam wired via method originally did on my old car where have a 'cigarette socket extension' wired as piggy back on the passenger seat heating fuse from what I remember. where the Dashcam lead then plugs into that and goes up inside the door pillar and to the dash cam. I have changed my Dashcam and thinking that may be worth doing the USB to the mirror power instead as would concentrate wiring to one place and keep cables away from anywhere near air bags.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ordered the connectors, connected my camera and transformer only to find that the mirror power supply is constant. I'll now have to find an ignition dependent fuse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just discovered that the mirror power supply is live with the ignition off and doors unlocked. It loses power shortly after the doors are locked and car alarmed.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just discovered that the mirror power supply is live with the ignition off and doors unlocked. It loses power shortly after the doors are locked and car alarmed.

This is great news. I did check this before, but thought the power remained always on. Now I checked again, and indeed after about a full minute after locking the doors the power goes down.

·
Registered
619 Posts
There's lots of stuff like that in most cars.
I was looking for a power takeoff in the same area on an Audi a while back and discovered, after similar investigation, that the sunroof motor was just like that. And that obviously has a fairly chunky supply.
The logic presumably is to allow it to be closed after the ignition is off, but to eventually isolate it for security reasons.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found a solutions for all the people that either know how or cant tap into the existing wiring.
I´ve orderd a OBD connector with a mini-USB connector at the end.

Haven´t tried it yet but there is options with the connector, chech the links below at amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/REARMASTER-Universal-Camera-Surveillance-switch/dp/B06XS33J2N/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545773801&sr=8-1&keywords=REARMASTER+Universal+OBD+Power+Cable+for+Dash+Camera%2C24+hours+Surveillance%2FACC+mode+with+switch+button

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/REARMASTER-Universal-Camera-Surveillance-switch/dp/B06XS33J2N/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545773801&sr=8-1&keywords=REARMASTER+Universal+OBD+Power+Cable+for+Dash+Camera%2C24+hours+Surveillance%2FACC+mode+with+switch+button[/ame]

Much easier than cutting and soldering in the wires by the mirror och at the glovebox.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi

I'm afraid all photos have been lost :(

Has somebody made the installation to the mirror connector having already the auto-dimming mirror in place? I see that @buzby was proposing to install new connectors, but does it mean buying a male and a female connectors to install them between the existing ones?

There is more information here, but again without photos: Easy and Tidy V40 Dashcam Install

21 - 35 of 35 Posts