Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two different V40s have passed me in the last week one with the headlight LEDs on as DRLs without other lights illuminated and one with headlights and DRLs illuminated together! Anyone know how they did that?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Two different V40s have passed me in the last week one with the headlight LEDs on as DRLs without other lights illuminated and one with headlights and DRLs illuminated together! Anyone know how they did that?

I think the latest ones leave all the leds on when headlights are on. Mine (mid 2014) doesn't. :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
AFAIK Xenon Models they stay on all the time (Reduced power when main lights on). Halogen they are off when main lights on.

What it said in our manual anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have xenon but my bottom ones go out when side or mains on and only the bottom ones come on as DRLs hence I'm surprised to see how these two cars were different. I like the headlight LEDs better than the bottom ones personally but can't get them on without sidelights

·
Registered
159 Posts
MY16 cars with xenon lights do this. I believe that this option is also available as an accessory down load at a dealership. I think that I saw this on the Volvo accessory web page with the usual exclusions of course.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
This was of the many changes made to the MY15 cars. On cars built before MY15 the DRLs were of fixed brightness, and had to be turned off when the headlights were turned on to avoid dazzling oncoming vehicles. For MY15 the DRLs were changed so that when the headlights were turned on they could be dimmed to about half of their normal brightness.

·
Registered
800 Posts
So on the MY16, if you just turn on the side lights do the DLR's stay at full power ?

And are the side lights on the MY16 LED with the Xenon units or does the V40 come with LED DLR's around the headlamp ?

I dont think I've seen any V40's with LED lights, whether that be side lights or anything else, apart from the lower DLR's which are LED.

Any pics of Xenon lights, with the LED ?

All a bit confusing for me I need enlightening :huh:

·
Registered
942 Posts
Straight from my owners manual...

Position/parking lamps (p. 362) (LED in
Xenon headlamps)

Consider yourself... enLIGHTened :wink2:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Funny, I checked today (R-design, DLR in the bumper) and they do switch off when the mains (dipped or high beam, doesn't matter) are on. They only seem to be on when the normal ones are off. (No Xenons in my car...)

·
Registered
409 Posts
With UK spec cars with xenons (i.e. SE Lux and R-Design Lux) from MY15 onwards will keep the daylight running LED lights on dimmed level at all times that the engine is running AND either when the headlights are on (turned on automatically by the car or with the headlight switch in the 'on' position) or if the headlight switch is in the sidelight position.

So with the engine off and the headlight switch in the sidelight position just the front and rear sidelights are on. Turn the engine on and the DRL's will then also come on at a dimmed level.

The front sidelights are the 'eyebrows' just above the dipped halogen/bi-xenon lights. With xenon headlights these are LED, with halogen they are filament bulbs.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Ah right ok, ive now seen the light.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry to bump a very old discussion, but on my 2014 V40 R design MY15 the lower LED DRL's are only on when the side/main lamps are off, is there a way to get them all on at the same time?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Sorry to bump a very old discussion, but on my 2014 V40 R design MY15 the lower LED DRL's are only on when the side/main lamps are off, is there a way to get them all on at the same time?
I suspect not - have you got halogen or xenon headlights? My understanding previously was they will only stay on for MY15 onwards where you have the xenon headlights.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I suspect not - have you got halogen or xenon headlights? My understanding previously was they will only stay on for MY15 onwards where you have the xenon headlights.
I have halogen lights sadly, but i did not sit still and did some research. There should be an update called" volvo lightning logic " i quote volvo;
Excl. JP
Op. No.: 36005
Updated lighting logic gives your car an attractive look during the hours of daylight, through the lighting of the front and rear lights along with the daytime running lights.
The upgrade means that the following lights will come on in combination with the daytime running lights:
  • Front position lights
  • Rear position lights
  • Number plate lighting
  • Side marker lights
I have a MY15 and it should have this option, although in not so sure i have it, will be testing today. Otherwise the update should be below 80 euro/dollar/pound at the volvo dealer. In holland i believe its 60 euro. So ill check that first and maybe get them updated

·
Registered
64 Posts
so i just checked, when settings in AUTO and there is daylight, the ''eyebrow'' W5W lamps are on, the rear lamps are on, and the numberplate lights are on. side marker lights are not, dont know what they mean by those. mine is a 2014 MY15 R-design.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts