Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was amazed that a little over 12 months ago, my dealer (who by the way I think are excellent) and Volvo weren't aware of this website...then the paint peeling fiasco kicked in and suddenly they were!

I've done 60,000 miles in 18 months and I reckon I've pretty much sussed this car. Despite "pioneering" niggles, I would replace it with the same model and colour tomorrow, but having not been on this site for a couple of months properly, it colours me curious as to what prompts Volvo to "tinker" with...lights settings, seat logos, indicator options, gear-stick lighting and dash buttons etc.?

I'd love to know because I sometimes wonder who is giving Sweden the feedback to do this...it's not owners like me who are giving the feedback...so who are making the decisions on these points of curiosity!?

Over to you Volvo!?
Darren

·
Registered
252 Posts
Totally agree Darren.

But I suspect industry trends are at play here- it's quite common for car makers to fiddle with specs during the life of a car model and not always for the better.
Typically models will be cheapened on the quiet, and then improved with a fanfare of publicity!
It looks like the maker is being generous for offering more kit for the same price, when in reality the additions probably cost about the same as those taken away!

To the new buyer the car appears better value for money, but repeat buyers know different!

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Very good post DarrenCC

What happened to the days where you released a model, then only 4 or 5 years later you bring out a facelift, then 1 year later new model.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Interesting post, for me it's been a balance when looking to purchase a new V40 okay I've lost the fancy gear knob and embossed seats as standard. But gained a better (well on paper at least) Sensus audio system and in my opinion a slightly more attractive front bumper. So in the scheme of things I am happy although will really miss not having the embossed seats which I thought gave an extra bit of bling to the otherwise subtle interior.

Also this is not a problem specific to Volvo most of the big brands do it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
With respect to the "tinkering" by Volvo with spec details - bear in mind Europe (and especially the UK) is becoming an increasingly secondary part of the overall car market as the huge economies of China and India continue to grow month-on-month. China alone accounts for >1.6 million car sales per month - and have now outstripped even the USA! By comparison Europe accounts for ~1 million. We're hanging-on to Asia's coat-tails now.

·
Registered
591 Posts
If Volvo are listening, it's time you gave the UK the fuel burning night heater. Not impressed I could no add it to my new order after having one in my Lux landrover - they are brilliant given the sub zero winters we seem to have these days.

Reactions: cueba11

·
Registered
389 Posts
If Volvo are listening, it's time you gave the UK the fuel burning night heater. Not impressed I could no add it to my new order after having one in my Lux landrover - they are brilliant given the sub zero winters we seem to have these days.
Is that the one that pre-heats the engine coolant so on start up the car is already warm? Would love one of those.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Is that the one that pre-heats the engine coolant so on start up the car is already warm? Would love one of those.
It is, they are brilliant, start it from remote control via key 10 mins before you get in car or you have two (programmable) set times per day it will start.

Runs for ~20 mins you then start a warm engine (no duress on engine from poor fitting cold parts and instant warm engine economy) and you step into a warm and fully defrosted cabin with a heater that is warm from the off.

Landrover's was broken for several months whilst they diagnosed the issue and fuel consumption was way higher without it even though it does burn fuel to operate but it is a ultra high efficiency micro gas turbine that heats and circulates your engines cooling water without the engine running - far more efficient way to heat a cold car that driving it to warm it !

Would have paid good money to have one on mine !

·
Registered
591 Posts
Av seen them on the volvo accessories website. How come you cant have one fitted to yours?
I have been told by my dealer after contacting Volvo that they only fit on European and not UK cars - for whatever reason ?

Surely it's cold enough over here !

·
Registered
202 Posts
Didn't they do an electrical based system too. I found it buried deep on the Volvo site detailing the installation instructions for various accessories some time last year. It basically replaces one the internal pipes to the heating system with one with a heating element and added a small connection inside the wheel arch just inside the bumper for plugging into the mains. Nothing clever about it, just heats the coolant over a few hours. I'll try to find it again.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Found it on the Italian site - surely the parts can be ordered from a non UK dealer for fitment.
Yes I too saw the electric one but don't fancy plugging the car in every morning or evening, fuel burner is far simpler and convenient and like the electric I think you can have it fitted later in UK - although I did see postings on some models that they had used the space for a UK compliance part?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.