Votes: 3 60.0%
  • T8

Votes: 1 20.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my D2 for 6 years now, and loved every minute, in fact I don't really want to get rid of it, but I get the feeling it is going to start getting expensive.(It is due a cam belt change at the next service)

I've just had to have a brake caliper replaced and now I am getting messages that the coolant is low (though when you de-pressurise the system the coolant level returns to normal) Looking at the internet this might be the early signs of some bad news (either failing head gasket or cracked head)

I am going to get that problem investigated by a local mechanic but if the news is bad I need to start looking for something new. If the engine is at fault it is going to cost probably about 50% of the cars value. If I can trade the car in at Volvo before the problem really does get serious I can probably get £5-£5.5k as a trade in. (Then the problem is Volvo's to sort out)

I have found a couple of S90s that have tickled my fancy and that are in my price range.

One is a 2019 D4 with about 17k miles the other is a 2017 T8 with 76k!! Both cars are the same price (the T8 would have been about £20k more than the D4 when new)

So the dilemma go with the D4, it is newer with fewer miles or the T8 although it is older and higher mileage it is AWD and has 400bhp!

The D4 will do about 55mpg, the T8 although advertised at 140ish mpg, on long journeys (and most of my journeys are 200 miles ish) it will probably struggle to break 40mpg.

I do drive a lot in the highlands of Scotland in all weathers, so the idea of AWD is attractive I've managed for years with FWD cars (like my C30 and V40)

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hi Tony. After 7 years of ownership, it is tough parting with the D4, if they still did it, there is no doubt I would repeat the process. Mine (Polestar) will average 70mpg on m'may @ 70mph in cruise. The safe money is on the D4 ALL day long. For a start at the mileage, I would think the batteries will be ready for a swap on the T8.

I am having to go T8 (new) but would love another new V40 D4. As for 4WD, winter boots will get you anywhere with 2WD provided there is ground clearance, at which point 4WD is no better anyway.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Winter tyres definitely much much more useful than 4WD or AWD in snowy conditions.
But then winter tyres, 4WD and over 300bhp in snow is just so much fun!

Reactions: jifen

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have always had winter tyres on the V40 (in winter) but even then there have been times the car struggled.

I was out browsing today and came across a BMW 420D X-drive M-Sport (X-drive is BMWs clever part time 4WD system) It was nice and pretty nippy (even though I forgot to try sport mode and left it in eco) but for such a big car it felt really cramped

Jifen - I am with you, if I could have a new V40 (in Rebel blue) I'd bite Volvo's hand off. I really don't get their infatuation with SUVs and crossovers The new C40 is just way too high! The XC40 is like a small tank!

Reactions: peanut and jifen

·
Registered
589 Posts
When I had the Landy Tony, I tried all manner of winters and I found a great difference, in my humble opinion I have never found anything better than Nokian directionals in the white stuff, although of late they do crack all too soon.

He He agree entirely, I have ended up going up a size to stay near the ground (swapping V40 for V60)

·
Registered
340 Posts
the only way to own a battery motor is while covered by manufacturer warranty. The cost of replacing the main battery is like buying a second car

1 - 6 of 6 Posts