Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have V40 D2 R Design in white. I am pleased with the car. Great to drive and very smooth on the motorway. I have not had a diesel before. I was surprised when I pressed the start button and there was a delay before the engine fired. This is when the engine is cold. Is this normal? :-/

·
Registered
202 Posts
This too I've noticed just recently. A perceivable delay of several seconds before the engine cranks, which the 1st time it happened I thought the starter had failed, leading me to keep prodding the button until it began cranking. Now I just wait.
I'm wondering if there is longer pre-heating now occurring that was so short during the warmer months it went unnoticed. My previous diesel cars had a dash indicator for this, but the V40 doesn't. It's my only explanation but I'm going to check with my dealer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi, Mine also does this, it is a D2 MY14. I have always assumed that on the first start it does lots of little electronic checks and pre heats before starting. I do have a pre-heater dash symbol but it goes out at the same time that all the other symbols do. Starts thoughout the day when the engine is warm have no delay. I have therefore assumed that the delay is glowplugs just warming the engine, just as now the temperatures have lowered the rear screen heater comes on automatically for a few minutes even when the temperature is a couple or so degrees above freezing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all those posts. It's a little reassuring that it is not just my D2 R Design that has this feature. Thanks Bugsy for your input I know it's Summer in OZ now. Just trying to make us jealous are you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My d2 r design did this today for the first time too. Glad I am not alone in the cold. Yes it really is cold in Spain.
This forum is great for re assurance with these little things.

·
Registered
221 Posts
D2 powershift, does the same as soon as the temp goes below 5 degrees or so.

If you bash the button a few times it actually displays a message 'please wait, start in progress'

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.