Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully there's a picture attached to this which verifies a delightful and anticipated 940 mile range on the next tank of diesel!

I must admit that I do drive like Miss Daisy and usually get 700 from a tank, but after I filled up and saw the below, I thought I had to share and show that it is possible and the D2 is a great oil burner.

Cheers Darren

·
Registered
196 Posts
Good stuff, if we get anywhere close to that we'll be happy! Even 700 miles would be great, our current diesel barely manages 400 miles to a tank on a very good month!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hopefully there's a picture attached to this which verifies a delightful and anticipated 940 mile range on the next tank of diesel!

I must admit that I do drive like Miss Daisy and usually get 700 from a tank, but after I filled up and saw the below, I thought I had to share and show that it is possible and the D2 is a great oil burner.

Cheers Darren
You must be doing lots of 50 mph journeys to get that sort of range. Any urban/town driving & the MPG will drop quite a bit.

Still very good though :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is fair to say that 99% of the time i'm on the motorway, stick the cruise control on anything lower than 65...but essentially as long as you keep the rpm below 2000 and don't thrash it, she'll do 600 miles on a tank without thinking about it! cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am also delighted with the fuel economy of the D2. I too drive like Little Miss Daisy and mostly on motorways. The car has achieved an average of 68.1mpg (4.1 l/100km) in the last two months and 65.3 (4.2) since December (totalling 28000 miles). I've attached a graph! I've noticed that the gauge in the TFT over estimates the economy by 3mpg.

The V40 trip statistics appears to over estimate as well, but I have not yet tried to estimate this. However, if you drive like Miss Daisy and have a tail wind, you can get astonishing economy. Look at this.

Hmmm no image. It shows the trip specs graph with 94 mpg over 79 miles

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I do a lot of motorway driving to and from the office. I have done 12,000 miles in the car and never failed to get at least 800 miles out of a full tank of diesel and more usually around 850 miles. I use the start stop at traffic lights. I don't rev it hard and drive it between 55 and 60 mph on most occasions. It takes me an extra couple of minutes to get to work and back but is saving me about £1300 a year in diesel compared with my last diesel car. The on board computer regularly shows 78 mpg. The car is very frugal. My last diesel took the same amount of fuel and would be filled every 5 to 7 days. On the same driving style the volvo goes 2.5 weeks on a similar amount of fuel. How good is that?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I do a lot of motorway driving to and from the office. I have done 12,000 miles in the car and never failed to get at least 800 miles out of a full tank of diesel and more usually around 850 miles. I use the start stop at traffic lights. I don't rev it hard and drive it between 55 and 60 mph on most occasions. It takes me an extra couple of minutes to get to work and back but is saving me about £1300 a year in diesel compared with my last diesel car. The on board computer regularly shows 78 mpg. The car is very frugal. My last diesel took the same amount of fuel and would be filled every 5 to 7 days. On the same driving style the volvo goes 2.5 weeks on a similar amount of fuel. How good is that?
That's really really good, not just for Volvo but for any car in this class.

Mine is currently averaging 40.9 mpg. She only has 209 miles on the clock right now and being auto is expected to be slightly heavier. The bit of motorway cruising we did got 58mpg displayed (80 mph on cruise control). I know it will get a lot better in time :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think ours is averaging 50mpg overall so far but I may be wrong, it does seem to eat the fuel on any inclines, and gain the economy back on flat sections or downhill - choice of gear is crucial!

·
Registered
39 Posts
If the above figures are correct I really am at a loss as to what I am doing wrong. I have a 14 mile journey to work 9 miles of which is very quiet motorway. I usually stick to the speed limits and on the motorway sit about 65-70. I don't accelerate hard and always try and coast to slow down rather than use the brake.

The average mpg I get is about 52, and I only get around 500miles on a tank. I did try to drive extremely economical one week and managed to get the mpg up to 53.6 but that is as high as I can get it. I remember when I took the showroom car out for a test drive and it had about 61mpg on the clock.

Although it is a lot better than my previous car I was kind of hoping for just a little bit better out if it. The car has only done about 400miles, but surely that wouldn't make a difference.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
221 Posts
The car has only done about 400miles, but surely that wouldn't make a difference.

Any ideas?
That makes a huge difference, you will definitely see an increase as the miles pile up. However, try and get in a few longer runs every now and then to give it a good workout / keep the cat clean etc.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When I collected my used D2 from the dealer I found its tyres had been inflated to Volvo's "Eco" recommendation i.e. 260 Kpa/38psi. I have kept the pressures at this level and the car is now approaching 5000 miles; - I am achieving 55/56 mpg, and have seen 60+ mpg recorded on a couple of longer runs, with which I am well satisfied.

With Autumn approaching, I will probably reduce the pressures to the "normal" 230/33psi anticipating a bit more grip at the expense of fuel economy.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Your journey is very short. Industry 'experts' reckon that at least 20 minutes of driving is required for the engine to be sufficiently warmed and operating efficiently. At 14 miles I am sure you are pretty much just hitting the sweet spot as you turn the car off.

Added to this be aware of your DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter). Over time you need to ensure it gets a decent workout to clean up all the collected soot. It normally takes 10-15 minutes to burn it clean after the engine has attained optimum temperature (assuming 'normal' conditions - colder days it may take a lot longer - but V40 has active grill so maybe not so important :) )

My previous Skoda actually advised a 10 minute motorway journey at 60 mph with the revs around 2500rpm constant to burn out the DPF. This was only in response to the warning light on the dash though, so pretty extreme.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Here is the extract from the V40 Manual on the DPF.

Diesel particle filter (DPF)​
Diesel cars are equipped with a particle filter,
which results in more efficient emission control.
The particles in the exhaust gases are collected
in the filter during normal driving. Socalled
"regeneration" is started in order to burn
away the particles and empty the filter. This
requires the engine to have reached normal
operating temperature.
Filter regeneration takes place automatically
and normally takes 10-20 minutes. It may take
a little longer at a low average speed. Fuel consumption
may increase slightly during regeneration.​
Regeneration in cold weather​
If the car is frequently driven short distances in
cold weather then the engine does not reach
normal operating temperature. This means that
regeneration of the diesel particle filter does
not take place and the filter is not emptied.
When the filter has become approximately
80% full of particles, a warning triangle on the
instrument panel illuminates, and the message​
Soot filter full See manual​
is shown on the
instrument panel display.
Start regeneration of the filter by driving the car
until the engine reaches normal operating temperature,
preferably on a main road or motorway.
The car should then be driven for approximately
20 minutes more.

NOTE​
A smaller reduction of engine power may be
noticed temporarily during regeneration.​

·
Registered
39 Posts
What is this 'manual' you speak of!!! HAHA really should take a read of it sometime!!

Thanks for the info though, very helpful. I'm always looking for a good excuse to get out and drive my v40 and this sounds like the perfect one!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts