Volvo V40 Forums banner

Diagnostics for 2018 V40 D4

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Shieldsy 
#1 ·
So..I’ve bought my first Volvo as a little lock down project. It’s a 2018 v40 r-design pro with the d4 engine. It’s damaged salvage car so has been involved in an accident with a tree. Now, I’m not sure what speed the tree was doing but the car has obviously thought this was a pedestrian and therefore deployed the pedestrian airbag. I’ve replaced the airbag and now need to reset the airbag module and reset safe mode which is possible engine or body controllers? I thought this would be easy and borrowed a Volvo Vida clone setup but it would only do up to 2015 VINs. A web search tells me Volvo changed how Vida worked after this date. So my question is... is there an aftermarket diagnostics system that will perform these functions for me or is it a trip to the stealer dealer?? Is there anyone local that can help me? I’m in Glasgow, Scotland. Thanks.

#2 ·
You can simply extend the VIDA 2014D to newer cars up to 2018:

For reading live parameters you can also use Car Scanner Elm Obd2 app for iPhone or Android.
App reads many sensors and parameters even in 2018 V40 cars, just select profile Volvo 2014+.

#4 ·
I've made good progress and can connect to the car now (thanks Trevis32!) but still not quite there with the resetting of the pedestrian airbag module. I changed the entries I the Vida SQL database to that my cars VIN was recognised as a 2015 car but I could not get the PPM (Pedestrian protection module) to clear its codes and the CEM was not recognised.
I'm guessing my 2018 car may have some changes that the 2015 VIDA config is too old for? Did they change the CEM? Am I missing something with the locked PPM? Do I need run something to clear the locked incident status? Picture of VIDA screen attached.

Any suggestions/ ideas?

Attachments

#5 ·
Crash data probably cannot be erased with Chinese VIDA, check this thread:

#7 ·
Got it sorted so I thought I would update this thread. I was quoted about £800 for a new PPM and diagnostics on the car to clear it by a Volvo dealer. The PPM is coded to the cars VIN. Did a web search on the part number and used a company called Transelot on eBay to reflash the PPM to a non accident condition. Unit was returned within 1 day and safe mode is gone. All for £60! Not a bad result at all.
Car isn’t a structural write off - it’s a non structural category.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.