Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've recently bought a V40Crosscountry and am only getting 42mpg. I drive 15miles per day, mainly on dual carriageway and Motorway at average 60 mph.
Any thoughts?
Thanks 馃憤

Registered
Hi all,
I've recently bought a V40Crosscountry and am only getting 42mpg. I drive 15miles per day, mainly on dual carriageway and Motorway at average 60 mph.
Any thoughts?
Thanks 馃憤
Which engine have you got?

Registered
Regardless of what the engine is, 42mpg for a diesel sounds somewhat low?

Registered
15 miles per day isn't much for a diesel, at best two 7-mile trips, it will hardly get warmed up so that might explain the fuel consumption.
And you'll almost certainly be heading for DPF problems down the line. You should have bought a petrol model.

As an aside, 42mpg is a figure that, as a Cross-Country T5 AWD petrol driver, I can only dream of. But then I didn't buy it to be economical......

Reactions: Driven and v1tt0

Registered
Mine is D2 with 200k km on the clock (125k miles), doing at least 100km per day (around 62 miles), mixed urban/highway 50/50. The total average is around 66MPG (4.2l/100km). Say that's a low for a diesel.

Registered
Hi all,
Any thoughts?
Thanks 馃憤
Check your tyre pressure. I recently started monitoring these regularly and it has made a big difference.

Registered
2017 R Design D2
I do a short 7mile country commute in a D2, 54mpg average. so far...
Have you reset the data, it might still be on the previous owners town work??

Registered
66Plate V40 D2 Momentum Nav Plus in Mussel Blue
My, new to me, D2 with manual gearbox, over the last 2000miles shows an average of 53.9mpg on ordinary non -motorway, give and take roads.
I am more than happy with this and expect it to improve on long motorway journeys.

Registered
Hi all,
Any thoughts?
Thanks 馃憤
Hi Chang ful filter, air filter,as a starting point. Try it see how it works, then oil and filter, see how that goes. Get injection kleener Pop it in tank see how that goes. Find a very good dzel macanic to check and set up your time ING 12 degree s before tdc egsactly it should be, for best results,
Good luck bill.

Registered
Hi all,
Any thoughts?
Thanks 馃憤
I have a D 3 diesel auto and the consumption never falls below 42mpg. Local driving, 4-5 miles,is about 43mpg but a run on restricted roads is about 44mpg. A motorway trip will be around 54mpg and on one occasion, when I was trying, I averaged 61.mpg. I have noticed that people , not used to diesels rev them like a petrol engine. Its never necessary to rev them above about 1500rpm in lower gears, where the max torque is,

Registered
As an aside, 42mpg is a figure that, as a Cross-Country T5 AWD petrol driver, I can only dream of. But then I didn't buy it to be economical......
A T5 at 20 mpg or less, you know that you are enjoying the Volvo as it was meant to be driven.
The smell of hot brakes and exhaust is just pure heaven
This is what dreams are made of.
Get a mate to drive behind your car and watch the exhaust. Black smoke anytime and your Volvo needs tuning.
Block of wood under accelerator works a treat for decrease consumption

Registered
Suggest you fill the tank with Shell Vpower or Esso Supreme diesel, reset the fuel economy readout, and take the same journey. Once the engine is warmed up, give it some beans, perhaps you might see a puff of black smoke behind. Why Vpower or Supreme? These have higher detergents to help 'clean' up the engine. Former flatmate had a 1.5Dci Clio, long story short, supermarket diesel always gave her 11 days of use (to and from work same journies) before red light came on, used Shell Vpower, gave 1.5 more days of usage (eg...higher mpg and approx 50 miles more of range). Once you run 2 full tanks you can revert back to regular diesel (preferably not supermarket variant).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts