Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I am in the market for a new car (my first) and the V40 is my first choice (my father had a couple of them, including the original V40).

Since I am an inexperienced car buyer, I am facing the dilemma of Diesel vs Petrol. It seems that for most people Diesel is the way to go - mainly because of economy and fuel prices. However, I am quite worried with the current political climate (at least in Europe) where many countries are making the move to ban diesel cars by 2025, which would really decrease the resale value of the car.

I am therefore coming for an advice - what are your thoughts on the choice between T3 and D3? Aside from the economy, which is superior on the D3, what is the difference in terms of driving experience (I was surprised to find on other topics in this forum that T3 seemed quicker to some user)?
Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
There is no doubt whatsoever that petrol engines are smoother and quieter. (don hard hats for incoming!) So this is a pitch for petrol.

I wouldn't worry about the political climate for your decision. Both petrol and diesel are in the firing line. It is much more likely that the upcoming new 40 series models will impact more on any resale value over the next 5 years or so.

What sort of mileage you do and the type of driving are also important factors. Diesel engines can be problematical if used for short journeys and overall low mileages. Petrol engines are much more tolerant of a wide range of usage.

I wouldn't hesitate to go petrol. Don't simply look at m.p.g. as the reason to go diesel, factor in the higher price to buy a new diesel and the loss of any lower road fund licence benefit after the first year.

Modern petrol engines, including the current engines in the V40, have very different characteristics from older models. They are much closer to diesel engines in the way that they perform.

The D3 has a quoted 0-60 of 8.4 seconds and the T3 of 8.3 seconds. (if simple 0-60 times are what you see as a measure of performance!)

I have driven both the D3 and the T3 and the T3 wins hands down for me. It is so smooth compared to the diesel which is very noticeable in slow stop start driving. OK there may be a little difference in the mid range acceleration ( I dont have any figures for that) between the two but you are in no doubt that the diesel is working hard whereas the petrol almost just sighs and gets on with it. (whoops, sorry about the poetic interlude there)

I recommend that you test drive both a petrol and diesel, even if they are a T2 and D2, to test how they match the way you want to use and drive the car. Don't let any worries about the future value get in the way, it will never be as bad as the media tell you it will be.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I agree. I had the V40 D3, but changed to a T3. It is certainly quieter and smoother, although it does need to rev higher if you really need the performance. Economy, yes the D3 gets higher mpg, but I am getting 37mpg with the T3, so not bad. I am usually a short journey driver, which doesn't suit the D3.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have a D2 2.0 CC and I don't think I'll ever get another diesel. The dpf has killed diesel cars in my opinion it usually starts a clean just as I'm arriving at my destination which means I have to do a extra 10 mins drive to let it clean or risk it blocking up and costing a fortune to fix.
The mpg I get is also very poor compared to what it should be average of 48 mpg.
So I would only consider petrol cars from now on.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I can't comment on the specifics of Volvo diesels but I know far too many people with other diesel cars (mostly BMW & Audi) that have had terrible DPF problems, despite doing many/mostly long journeys.
As a result of that we ruled them out totally when buying last year and got a nice T5.

It's almost a running joke with diesel owners I know to taunt them about the state of their DPF and the associated costs and inconveniences.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I thinking of replacing our 1.6 D2 and a D3 was top of my shopping list. However and despite having a 80 round trip to work I'm now considering going petrol, as my wife also uses it for local trips in town. We also have a BMW 116d which shares the commute workload, albeit its not nearly as comfy as the V40, or as sure footed in the cold/wet. So this does give me a little more flexibility to go petrol, as the BM could do more of the commute stuff if petrol economy became an issue.

One thing though that confuses the situation, is why Volvo use different engines for the T3 manual and automatic, as I'm also considering my first auto after having had use of one recently; another BMW.

Ed.

·
Registered
590 Posts
How are engines different? Can't say I'm surprised though, given the way auto boxes operate.

My T5 has an 8-speed auto which gives the control software a lot more options than a 5-speed or 6-speed manual ever could.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The auto engine is 1498 not 1998. The stroke length is reduced by about 20mm. However, the performance curve is the same according to Volvo data.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a 5pot D3, and it's very smooth. My first diesel car, and I was also afraid, but after having my car in for a battery replacement, and they loaned me a newer model T3. It confirmed I made a good choice with the D3, even my wife said she did not like how the T3 drove. I was much happier getting my own back.

As for the DPF, if you ever have problems with it, just get a DPF delete, if not under warranty. I had mine deleted, and software done, with a little extra.

Rather go drive both, and repeat....

·
Registered
590 Posts
DPF delete you may get away with in South Africa, but not much longer in the UK as the MOT testing regime tightens up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the advice!
I am leaning more and more towards petrol, I will use the car for some work-related trips, but I really doubt that i will be having more than 25-30 000 miles per year. And removing the DPF is definitely not an option in Belgium.

Regarding the engines - while I have read that D3 and D4 are Volvo engines, is that the case also with the T3?

Also, as it was mentioned, the T3 is performing slightly better than D3 - 8.3 vs 8.4 (if we use 0-60 times to compare), however, that only applies to the automatic transmission. On the manual gearbox options, which I am more likely to go for, the petrol seems slightly slower - 8.9 vs 8.7.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If this a brand new car then all the engines are Volvo. The 0-60 figures are the same on my current performance listings, where are you getting your 0-60 figures from ?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Interesting, the T3 manual is larger capacity and broader torque band though same power.
Makes sense I guess, giving reasonable power if you let the revs drop on a manual; auto will just change down as needed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Interesting indeed. My figures come from the official Volvo Apr 2016 performance curves so maybe the website is a later update.??

·
Registered
175 Posts
All Drive-E are now Volvo engines. The 1498 auto is just a stroke shortened version of the 1998. The documents I refer to are for current engines.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I own a 5 pot diesel D3 (2013) V40 which I have had since 1st July this year. I have 45k miles showing having done approx 2,500 miles so far and am averaging 55 mpg in mixed driving to date. I love the throbby offbeat engine note and the low revving torquey engine. Best car I have ever owned. £30 / year road tax....

·
Registered
151 Posts
25-30,000 miles per year! Go for the diesel!

I have a D2 and do a 200 mile return journey a week. I get about 63mpg on my 400 mile drive. You won't get anywhere near that in a petrol.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts