Volvo V40 Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks again for all the advice :)

Just to update - ordered the T3 Inscription for the following reasons:
- Political climate for Diesel engines is worsening in the EU, especially in Belgium where elections are coming
- Diesel may be more economical, but the D engines are more expensive and the Diesel in the gas stations is more expensive too - so not sure if it is actually cheaper in the long term
- It seems that the petrol engines are performing better and are more consistent in power delivery, the T2, T3 and T5 are also the new Volvo engines.
- while I will be having some longer trips, I will be driving the car to work daily, so not sure if that won't cause some problems with the DPF in future.

Regardless I am sure that there are arguments both for Diesel and petrol but these are some of my thoughts.

Now the long wait begins - it was supposed to take 3 months, but my dealer told me that the factory in Sweden is closed until the end of August (that seems quite odd!?), still I am hoping to be enjoying the new ride by mid-November :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks again for all the advice :)
Now the long wait begins - it was supposed to take 3 months, but my dealer told me that the factory in Sweden is closed until the end of August (that seems quite odd!?), still I am hoping to be enjoying the new ride by mid-November :)
Been very impressed with the T5 engine in our recently purchased ex Volvo Cars UK Cross Country, although visits to the filling station are now more frequent, despite a 57L fuel tank compared with the 52L in our previous Ford powered D2.

Summer holiday car factory shutdowns seem to be a thing with a number of manufactures, had a delay receiving a VAG group factory order a few years back because of this. However I take it the dealer was referring to parts like the engine; our V40 proudly wears a build plate stating made in Belgium :smile2:

Ed875

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just for a bit of fun,
5pot D4 filled up in Altdorf Switzerland. Next day after going through the Gottard Tunnel, noticed the miles available in the Tank 1235miles, Its been all downhill for the last hour !!
The L.H. display was stuck on 99mpg for long enough, which probably was correct 99 x 13 gallons = 1287
Must have just given it a blast, when the boss took the photo, now showing 44mpg.
Note the detected Speed limit sign 100 (kph), but I am doing MPH so not podging about.
Sorry for the blurred photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
729 Posts
VEA D4, drove back from the South of France couple of days ago. Filled her up seaside, and drove home in one go (with coffee breaks), for a total of 1286 km. So Stuart S although your comsumption display was waaay off (it bases itself on recent average consumption when I am not mistaken) 1250 km on a single tank (4 people in the car) is really possible.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Anixie, mine is showing miles in the tank !!
Best miles per tank return was 700 miles (1126km), though the average was 650 miles (1046) per tank over 2433 miles (3915km), with traffic, border crossings, toll booths and tunnels to contend with.
Only 2 people in the car, but luggage, and beer packed to the rafters.
Note cheapest fuel £0.85 per litre in Luxembourg
Dearest £1.25 per litre in Switzerland (auto vend machine - bad move)
Well pleased with the old 5 pot oil burner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
D3 Norway

We will replace our Ford Focus 1,6 TDCI with a V40CC D3 automatic late November. We tried the T3, but I prefer the high torque and low revs from the D3. The only reason for me to choose T3, is political, and I must admit that the politicians makes me a bit worry about the depreciation. Norwegian politicans only focus on NOx and forget that a diesel engine has less fuel consumption and less CO2 emissions than petrol. We live outside the big cites so we don't need to worry about rush hour and extra diesel taxes. We have one week left before the specifications is finallay closed by the factory, but I am pretty sure we keep the decision for the D3. Five to ten years ahead, we will know if it is a wise decision or not.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wish my d2 had better mpg

I wish I got that mpg from my D2! The best I’ve got is 56 and that was driving at a steady 60mph on a journey from Birmingham to Glasgow. Normally it returns around 50mpg. It’s now done 28000miles in 15 months from new. The old 1.6 d2 gave better mpg (60+) on the same trip to Glasgow it returned 70+mpg, but the engine lacked torque and was less drivable generally.

25-30,000 miles per year! Go for the diesel!

I have a D2 and do a 200 mile return journey a week. I get about 63mpg on my 400 mile drive. You won't get anywhere near that in a petrol.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts