Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Thinking of getting a D4 Geartronics R Design with a couple of added packs. Problem i have is the write ups are not very encouraging most magazines only giving them about 3/5 stars. went for a test drive last week, brilliant, only problem I found was road noise on motorway (cross country model with 20" alloys) but performance , drive etc brought a smile to my face!
Its a company car and the CO2 emissions with 190bhp make it appealing. Currently drive 3 series BMW tourer which is nice and considering 4 series coupe which is also nice but with a bigger price tag and CO2 emissions has an an impact on my tax!! Also the Volvo on lease is not cheap , both are more than the 3&4 series BMWs.
I just wondered if you guys out there who "have lived" with the V40 can help me make a decision with both good and bad points that it has.

·
Registered
729 Posts
20 inch wheels will kill the ride as does the sports chassis. I tried both 18 inch and 17 inch wheels before I ordered my V40, and 17 inch was way better. Ok less crisp in the twisty stuff but a lot easier on the back on normal roads at normal speed. Sure they look better, a lot better even, but ride quality suffers. So do NOT order the sport chassis, do NOT order the extra large wheels and you should be a happy camper.

Reactions: Greeny39

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have the D4 R-design with the sports chassis and 17" wheels. It's pretty good but does make a bit of noise over the bumpy stuff.

Personally, I'd avoid the auto - I had a loaner D2 powershift and the gearbox was dire - terrible shift prediction, jerky gear change and awful mpg. The one in the T5 was good though.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Something to consider, if you have big kids, fuggeddaboutit. It is pretty small in the back. Anyone over 6ft2 (1.9 meter) will be very uncomfortable indeed. My oldest son is that tall, but he is very happy about that, since my wife decided she'll sit in the back seat :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have 17" and no sports chassis, it's film enough and it copes perfectly with the 190 on tap.

Go either sports chassis or up 1" on wheel size but def not both! Can you get sports suspension On a cross country and if so why? Surely a CC is about more ground clearance

·
Registered
252 Posts
Something to consider, if you have big kids, fuggeddaboutit. It is pretty small in the back. Anyone over 6ft2 (1.9 meter) will be very uncomfortable indeed. My oldest son is that tall, but he is very happy about that, since my wife decided she'll sit in the back seat :)
The V40 is horrible in the rear, the small high windows make it very dark- something that is amplified if you have R-design trim with black headlining.
Sit upright in one of the rear seats and the sloping roof will touch the side of your head :(
Backseat passengers also complain about road noise.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have a RD D4 (but the older 5 pot), I have had issues but the car possibly as it was one of the first RD's.

It handles well and is an enjoyable drive (nearly as good as the 118d Msport on 18's I had a few years back) which is why I went for it (the 1 series was more on tax back then).

But 20" rims would scare me, I would certainly be popping my local chiropractor's number in my mobile if I went for them (and I like a stiff chassis/rise, also have a S1 Lotus Elise and Focus ST)

If you are looking for a company car and thinking auto along with tax have you considered plug in electric with a range extender, I have just ordered a few outlander PHEV's, they are not fast or well handling but they are big inside and cheap at just 5% BIK

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got a D4 5 pot geartronic and 17" wheels. Stick with the smaller wheels and you'll be fine. Despite some reviews warning the 6 speed geartronic was hard to handle, in normal mode it's quite gentle. However in sports mode it's a different beast altogether and needs to be handled with care! A lot of fun though once you've mastered it! After 20 months & 28,000KM my main criticism is the turning circle. If you can live with that, go for it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Food for thought

Thanks to all replies. bit of a mixed bag. the car i tested was all the garage had with auto box and whilst the auto is not everyones favorite I've become accustomed to one. but info on tyres, suspension, space and road noise is interesting. i know there are not many cars out there that have "everything" so i'll have to compromise in some way. if i go for one think it will be the D4 with geartronics box and 17" wheels.
but also monthly rental might be the stumbling block particularly as others at work have BMWs and paying less
this is my first blog so apologies if i have not followed the correct protocol.
But again many thanks to all, I'll keep checking the forum

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've got a D4 190 with 17" and sports pack. Demoed both the dynamic chassis and sports and preferred the taught ride of the sports so opted for that in the end. Car arrived and first drive I was horrified. Thought I'd made a massive mistake as it was bone shakingly hard. Every blemish in the road was felt and I was literally wobbling in my seat! Turns out tyre pressures were on Eco 38psi. In fact they were pretty much 40psi. Changed to comfort setting of 33psi and now it's as I remembered. Bit of a con really as to get the ultimate mpg driving around town you have to raise the pressures which ruins the ride. Certainly on the sports chassis anyway

·
Registered
591 Posts
Cheers JB - I missed out on sports chassis via a mistake from dealer but I poster exactly the same viewpoint after living with the dynamic chassis for a few weeks (which you have just validated).

If you plan to run on the rock like eco pressures, you are better on the dynamic chassis and 17".

Only thing I do miss is the rebound is a bit too lively coming out of high speed, high load corners - although the play off is it will help get the power down on the lumps and bumps.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Preference I guess. I think somewhere inbetween the two would of been better. For me personally anyway. The sport ride is hard but not horrendous now at 33psi. It does corner well, I can remember chucking the dynamic around an island and it was well a bit wallowy once it was pushed but boy it was comfortable pottering around. Hard one to call really,ms till must have that tiny bit of youth still in me!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Preference I guess. I think somewhere inbetween the two would of been better. For me personally anyway. The sport ride is hard but not horrendous now at 33psi. It does corner well, I can remember chucking the dynamic around an island and it was well a bit wallowy once it was pushed but boy it was comfortable pottering around. Hard one to call really,ms till must have that tiny bit of youth still in me!
I've yet to feel the Dynamic chassis as wallowy when pushed, it was the hardest part of the options decision for me wether to go sports or leave it with the standard dynamic chassis. Also considered the 18's but when viewed side by side the difference between 17 and 18's is not that great, so went for the 17's.

Only weak point with the sports for me is it felt a bit skittery in rough corners and the rebound was maybe harsher, the turn in a rapid direction changes were better.
The dynamic felt a little more confident in rough bumpy turns, and overall more relaxing, maybe a little less road noise but that could of been more down to the 17's.

I really think there is little in it and more down to personal preference, let's face it the sports chassis will not be shaving minutes of your daily commute.

As for auto box, I only tried the old one 6 speed? And personally didn't like it, it was not upto the standard of other auto boxes, the new 8 speed boxes I hear are very good and every bit as good as the other makes and hopefully reliable.

As for press reviews take them all with a pinch of salt, I've seen the same sources giving glowing appraisals of the V40 one year then slate it the next or vice versa. Have a look at Top Gears buyers guide 2015 they rank the new D4 V40 up there with the best in class praising the build, smooth efficient engine with hot hatch rivalling performance etc etc where as last year they called it dull but safe.

It's a good car there are many good hatchbacks to choose from right now, I would not say it's worth he price Volvo are asking so look for a healthy discount.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Agree reviews are really mixed. I have the 8spd auto. It's better than the 6spd that I demo'd. That kept hunting at low speed and annoyed me. The 8spd is better although the sport in automatic is pretty poor. I have to admit I've not had the opportunity to use much on roads/situations that warrant it yet but every time I've put foot down it tends to always put it into a gear where the revs are too high and then it screams and needs to change again almost instantly which is frustrating. Probably compounded as there is now 8 to choose from! The eco plus mode which changes up early is good. I only read up about that the other day. Takes advantages of the massive torque but keeps it quiet and smooth. In sport manual you can really get a feel for the power. By changing a bit early it pulls like a train rather than revving the nuts off it at 4-5k rpm where all the power is lost and its noisy. I'm yet to be bowled over by the D4 economy yet. I will do a long run tomorrow but currently getting 36 on combined cycle and that is a real mix of thrash and tootle. If it doesn't improve then I find it hard to justify moving away from the old 5 pot which lets face it for a diesel sounded great when it was opened up. My thoughts anyway so far.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm getting a steady 50mpg from mine on average, it did drop to 48 with the last fill partly down to colder weather and an open bit of A road which lead to a heavy foot. My average commute is all A roads taking in the downs leading to the Chilterns, so for me 50 mpg taking in to account the hills I climb daily is pretty decent and I am happy with that.
I'm at 2500miles now and it's loosened up nicely, with enough power for the occasional blast to satisfy the kid in me, all within national speed limits obviously.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've not done a run yet. Only 390 miles on the clock after nearly a month. I'm off on a 100 trip tomorrow so that should give me a better indication. I'll reset the computer. I've literally been popping around town doing short trips so I can't really say too much yet. To be honest as long as it returns 45mph on combined I'm happy with that considering the power output

·
Registered
945 Posts
I've got a D4 5 pot geartronic and 17" wheels. Stick with the smaller wheels and you'll be fine. Despite some reviews warning the 6 speed geartronic was hard to handle, in normal mode it's quite gentle. However in sports mode it's a different beast altogether and needs to be handled with care! A lot of fun though once you've mastered it! After 20 months & 28,000KM my main criticism is the turning circle. If you can live with that, go for it!
Yes I often refer to the turning circle to being similar to the QE II:s

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.