Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems there is no light on the dash to indicate whether the headlights are on or off, only for main beam.

I have auto headlights and would quite like to know when they are on. I went through a short well-lit tunnel earlier and wasn't sure if the reflections ahead were from my daytime running lights or dipped beam. However I noticed the dash dimmed. Does it dim in conjunction with the dipped beam coming on or does it just dim depending on ambient light levels?

The only way to be sure about the status of the headlights is to feel for the switch and either turn it of or on, making sure it's not left in the auto position.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
It seems there is no light on the dash to indicate whether the headlights are on or off, only for main beam.

I have auto headlights and would quite like to know when they are on. I went through a short well-lit tunnel earlier and wasn't sure if the reflections ahead were from my daytime running lights or dipped beam. However I noticed the dash dimmed. Does it dim in conjunction with the dipped beam coming on or does it just dim depending on ambient light levels?

The only way to be sure about the status of the headlights is to feel for the switch and either turn it of or on, making sure it's not left in the auto position.

It's a well-known shortcoming of the V40 I'm afraid. When the V40 was first intoduced in 2012, the LED above the 'Auto' position on the Light Switch Module would only illuminate if the dipped beam was on. From MY14.5 onwards the logic programming for the lights was changed in the Central Electronic Module for cars with Xenons (and presumably carried forward for cars with LED headlamps) and a byproduct of this is the LED is illuminated all the time if the switch is in the 'Auto' position.

The dash illumination is controlled seperately from the headlamps. It has 3 light levels it looks for - daylight, dusk and night. the headlamps only have daylight and night. The dash therefore dims before the headlamps come on.

·
Registered
720 Posts
It's a shortcoming of all the current Volvos. I asked the same question regarding the new V60 last week.

·
Registered
349 Posts

On auto light setting, my footwell lights come on when the headlights switch on. (not sure if this is an option in the menu ?)
SWMBO informed me whilst driving through the various tunnels in Switzerland. Difficult to see the headlights on, unless you are very close to the car/truck in front. Most of the tunnels are well lit which makes it even more difficult to tell.

·
Registered
668 Posts
On auto light setting, my footwell lights come on when the headlights switch on. (not sure if this is an option in the menu ?)
Yes, I changed the settings (it's somewhere in the menus) so that the footwell lights are on; it is a vaguely useful confirmation.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's a shortcoming of all the current Volvos. I asked the same question regarding the new V60 last week.
Incidentally I test-drove a new XC60 a couple of weeks ago and that had the green dipped beam indicator in the display. Neither of my V40s have any internal indication whatsoever, although given that I leave them on AUTO all the time, and knowing how very sensitive they are to coming on in the slightest bit of rain or darkness (sometimes even just on dull/cloudy days!), I just don't worry about it.

·
Registered
772 Posts
its true that there is no way of telling at a glance if the headlights are on in daylight and to be honest I haven't in the last 3 new cars we have ever switched off auto its just one more thing less to worry about, I wonder just how many of the older members remember being flashed or at worst pulled over by mr plod for not having lights on!!!>:)

and yes I have.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The dash illumination and the floor light are controlled by a sensor located in top side of dashboard (used also by climate control). The control of headlamps i think performed by the Rain Sensor /Tunnel detection module on the top of windscreen....

·
Registered
20 Posts
If dipped headlights come on when the outside light dims, why is there a tunnel lighting option on a new car?
I don't have the tunnel lighting option on my car and quite often am driving through tunnels.
It seems logical to me that if the dipped lights come on automatically in low light conditions they would come on when entering a tunnel. But apparently, they don't!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't have the tunnel lighting option, but with the light switch set to Auto my dipped headlights do come on in tunnels. In fact they often come on from just driving under our local railway bridges, which only takes a matter of seconds, as I can often see the reflection of the lights turning on and off on the back of the vehicle ahead.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Many thanks for that RS3100. It does make the tunnel lighting option seem a bit of a waste of money then. I wish I could be certain though. The tunnels are usually well lit and it's not always obvious that headlights are on, and of course there's no way to be sure that tail lights are on.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Many thanks for that RS3100. It does make the tunnel lighting option seem a bit of a waste of money then. I wish I could be certain though. The tunnels are usually well lit and it's not always obvious that headlights are on, and of course there's no way to be sure that tail lights are on.
I don't know the age of your car, but with mine (2017 MY) if the light switch is set to Auto then front DRLs and rear position lamps (tail lights) are always on when the engine is running, and the headlamps switch on automatically in poor light conditions.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I thought tunnel lighting just worked off the rain sensor ,so if got auto wipers got tunnel lighting,my 2013 D3 has Xenons,not got the lighting update so light switch in auto,DRL front only, I get green LED in switch only when lights come on,can just about see it behind the steering wheel.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Guys, what is that tunnel lighting you're talking about? I believe dipped headlights go on in tunnels with every single V40 if the light switch is in auto. What does it have to do with the rain sensor? If you are talking about lit rear of V40 at all times when the engine is running then that's a different story. This was introduced with MY14.5 or MY15 and Volvo offered an upgrade to this new lighting logic for MY13-14. I actually bought that upgrade for my previous 2013 V40 D2 as I think the car then looks even better during daylight plus added safety. But still this is not made for driving in tunnels where dipped beams must be used, not only DRL. And I confirm, with that lighting upgrade the small green LED indicator at the knob started to be absolutely useless and I don't know what Volvo guys thought when they were designing this.

·
Registered
170 Posts

As it says, Tunnel Detection is only available in cars with the rain sensor. I don't have it, but I can't see the point. The handbook says it only works when the light switch is in the Auto position, and on my car, the headlights come on automatically in Auto position at the slightest hint of dull light conditions anyway, so it seems to be an accessory to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, I am none the wiser. My car is late MY15 and has Xenon lights but without the tunnel detection/rain sensor.
With the switch in 'auto' position the DRL lights on the front, and only the front, are on during normal daylight conditions.
When light conditions worsen, such as driving into an underground carpark, dipped beams and tail lights come on automatically. Same thing at normal dusk.
So back to my original question...if one accepts that tunnel lighting is dim enough to qualify as reduced lighting, as it certainly is in some of the older tunnel systems, why does anybody need the extra option? The big question for me is do the tail lights come on when I'm in a tunnel, just as they do when I drive into a well-lit supermarket parking garage? That's all I care about.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree snowman, but my point is when you are in a well lit tunnel it is often impossible to tell if the dipped beams are on.
And I don't want to be driving through a tunnel without being sure my tail lights are on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
In my V40CC (MY17) with tunnel detection when i drive in supermarket parking garage , tunnels (with new Led lighting) i have checked that the dipped beams and tail lights come on automatically. I think regardless the tunnel detection option and year production, when the dipped beams turned on simultaneously tail lights turned on too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts