Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done less than 5000 miles and already the (factory fill) oil in my T4 petrol engine is very dirty. In fact it's dirtier than any oil I've ever seen in any of my previous cars at much greater mileages. It's the first turbo-boosted car I've owned so I wonder whether the dirtiness is related to the fact that it's turbo-boosted. I'd be grateful to hear of the experiences of other T4 (or T3 or T2) owners regarding what happened to both the factory fill oil and also to the replacement oil following the first oil change.
I'm concerned that my engine might be wearing out prematurely. :(

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I haven't check my car's oil yet, cant comment.

PS! I thought you ordered a Ford Focus

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't check my car's oil yet, cant comment.

PS! I thought you ordered a Ford Focus
I have, but it's a 182ps petrol on which the Volvo V40 T4 is based. I'm still very much interested in the V40 and it could still be my next car. It was only the fact that at the time neither my Volvo dealer nor Volvo Cars UK seemed interested in letting me have a test drive in a T4 that pushed me into ordering a Focus. Nevertheless I consider myself to be an honorary member of the Volvo V40 Club.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I have, but it's a 182ps petrol on which the Volvo V40 T4 is based. I'm still very much interested in the V40 and it could still be my next car. It was only the fact that at the time neither my Volvo dealer nor Volvo Cars UK seemed interested in letting me have a test drive in a T4 that pushed me into ordering a Focus. Nevertheless I consider myself to be an honorary member of the Volvo V40 Club.
I can remember you said this :) That is why I asked, I thought you got yourself a Volvo now. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
That's interesting - I checked my oil yesterday and also thought it was quite dark indeed (I can't say dirty for sure, but definitely a lot darker than the oil in my other car). Mine is a D2 though, past 7000 km now (4400 miles). Could it be that the original oil is darker than what we are used to? :confused:

How about the level? Mine is at half mark (I should imagine it was close to Max when it was new). Has anybody with a higher mileage top up before the first service?

---------------------
Volvo V40 D2 Momentum, Ice White, Premium Sound, BLIS+LKA+RSI, TFT Display, Heated Windscreen, Rear Park Assist, Active High Beam, Power Child Lock

·
Registered
273 Posts
Interesting one this...we'll have to conclude that Volvo use a very dark oil as I checked my oil after it had it's service last month and if I was less naïve, I'd have phoned the dealer to ask if they'd forgotten to change the oil it was that dark!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not that the oil is a dark colour. When I check the dipstick I clean it on a piece of kitchen roll. The oil soaks into the paper as you would expect and spreads, but leaves a black area in the middle which looks like carbon. :confused: It's not something I've ever seen before with previous cars which were all naturally aspirated petrol. I'll check with my dealer when life is a little less hectic as soon as we've got over the New Year celebrations.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interesting one this...we'll have to conclude that Volvo use a very dark oil as I checked my oil after it had it's service last month and if I was less naïve, I'd have phoned the dealer to ask if they'd forgotten to change the oil it was that dark!
My previous car was a C30 with a D2 engine and I did query this with the dealer - They had serviced the car and I checked the oil when I collected the car. It was black so I asked them about it and they said that it was characteristic of the diesel engines - as soon as you run the engine the oil goes very dark. The service manager assured me they had changed the oil.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
395 Posts
I note that the article you have linked to was updated in 2006. I think oils and filters have moved on in leaps and bounds since then. Some vehicles, Audi, and Skoda that I know of, calculate when you need an oil change dependant upon your driving conditions. My 1600 Audi diesel went on to 22k before calling for an oil change and a mates Skoda (petrol) went to 33k! So I suppose 12k for the Volvo is very safe. But horses for courses. I also ride a 1200cc BMW which has an oil change interval of 6k but some change it every 3k because thats what they have always done!
OldCroc

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thanks for the reassurance, OldCroc.
I assume that you bought your car from Stoneacre Lincoln Volvo on Cheshire Road. How obliging are they to deal with, both sales and service?
Sales was easy. The service dept is another world. They never phone back with answers to queries etc. However, from what I have read on here that seems to be the way with other dealers as well. I wish there was more choice.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have to say the spot where I got my v40 from has been great. Service is superb. They even walked me to the car after a service and asked if I was happy with the cleanliness of the car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.