Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
In the German city where I live the two Volvo dealers advertise 30-35% discounts when ordering a v40 through the end of this year. For example a car with a €31,000 list price would cost about €20,000. Possibly the dealer registers it for a day or two.
Am I correct in thinking that Volvo is offering the dealers big rebates to sell the last of the old models? Does anyone know exactly when production will stop?
And what I am really wondering is how much lower the dealers would go. Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hello,
In the German city where I live the two Volvo dealers advertise 30-35% discounts when ordering a v40 through the end of this year. For example a car with a €31,000 list price would cost about €20,000. Possibly the dealer registers it for a day or two.
Am I correct in thinking that Volvo is offering the dealers big rebates to sell the last of the old models? Does anyone know exactly when production will stop?
And what I am really wondering is how much lower the dealers would go. Any ideas?

Thanks.
I haven't seen any major offers over here. They haven't announced the successor yet so we don't know when production will stop but from what I see on the news sites its expected the new V40 will be announced end of 2018 production early 2019 so you're talking at least another year and a half before the new model is released so I wouldn't expect major discounts yet

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Recently I was at two Volvo dealers and there seems to have been a big rebate program this year in Germany where you could order a v40 up until the end of Oct. for a big discount. The dealers here both ordered a lot of additional cars on spec which are arriving now. A typical deal is a T2 Momentum with the business package, metallic paint and a few other odds and ends for €19,999. No mention of the new model though, nor that these are the last cars being produced, which had occured to me as a possibility.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
October is the end af the half model year. A new model year typically starts in April,, so MY18 started in April 2017, with MY18.5 starting in November. The half model years are sometimes used to introduce specification changes, so the dealers may have been given an incentive to order cars before a spec change is introduced.

Also, October to December is the last quarter of the year for the dealers to hit their sales targets (the more cars they sell the bigger volume discounts Volvo will give them on future orders), so they may be having a big push to achieve their target for the year. Also, the V40 (particularly the V40CC) is inevitably going to suffer in sales now the XC40 is available to order, so there may be an element of Volvo 'sweating the asset' to get some extra sales in it's final year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well tomorrow I am going back for a test drive. There are two cars in question and it would be interesting to hear what people think of the dealer's offer. Thanks!

Car 1: T2 Momentum in mussel blue, list price €32,305, on offer for €20,600.
Business Package
Climate Package
Winter Package
Storage Package
Ambient Lighting
Digital Instruments
Aluminum on Dash
Parking sensors for and aft
Digital Radio and Backup Camera preparation

Car 2: T2 Kinetic in black metallic, list price €32,950, on offer for €20,999
Business Package
Style Package
Winter Package
Electric side mirrors
Parking sensors for and aft
LED headlights and running lights
Backup camera
darkened back windows and rear window
child safety in rear and front air bag can be turned off
rain sensor and automatic lights
rear mirror automatically dims
spider diamond 17 inch rims

·
Registered
766 Posts
think I would go for the kinetic looking at the list seems like you would be getting a good deal on ether but car 2 just has the edge to me, all the best.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you!
I think the Kinetic is probably better too, mainly because of the rear camera. I suppose you get used to any car after a while but my initial impression was that the rear visibility is not great. Visibility and the large turning radius were the negative things. I had to make a u-turn on a narrow street and got a shock-had to back up a bit to complete the turn. Otherwise a nice, solid feel. Although a smallish car it felt like a large car in a good way. I thought the side visibility was ok. Do people find that the blind spots are generally not troublesome?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We ended up getting the momentum in mussel blue. It was a rather dark day and the mussel blue seemed more cheerful.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I recall, when we bought our V40, discussing with the dealer the likely product cycle for major/minor updates.
Obviously he was trying to sell, but equally he realised that I knew what I was talking about re product cycles/updates so I think he was being as honest as he could be.
We bought a car from him on an honest and open basis and were not disappointed - if only most sales people were like that!

We bought an early 2016 model (pre LED Thor headlights, delivered in March 2016) and expected an update or two over the next year with a major revision after about 2 years, i.e. pretty soon now.
That appears to be fairly accurate so I'd be expecting a biggish change soon, possibly even an "end of model runout" version?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Although this thread is already long in the tooth I thought I would add a last quick update. I had the rear view camera added and in general have been very pleasantly surprised with the way the v40 rides. The sedate and smooth feeling reminds me a bit of a Mercedes, or what I imagine the Mercedes ideal to be, although I find the Volvo seats much more comfortable. It is certainly not sporty, I noticed that it wallows a bit if going too fast on small winding roads. Even with winter tires the T2 is very smooth and quiet. Also the sensus navigation, which I did not really want, is easier to use than I thought it would be. It seems to work ok too-not as good for changing traffic conditions as google maps--but rather convenient. The trip computer says I am getting 6.5 liters per 100km which is mixed driving with a good bit of motorway and that could be a lot worse. It is a nice looking car to boot.

·
Registered
151 Posts
thanks for resurrecting a 6 month old post to let us know lol!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hope there's one coming as I now have managed to put a deposit down for one :) Dealer was reluctant at first as they hadn't received any confirmed details surrounding the vehicle at the time (4 weeks ago) but after I pushed them and made some enquiries with my contacts inside Volvo UK myself I have hopefully managed to confirm a place for one of the first builds, fingers crossed. Whilst neither would categorically confirm details, timeframes etc.. partially because I think that even Volvo doesn't know themselves I hope to see the car around this time next year or maybe a little sooner, only time will tell. Will be interesting to see how big the changes will be

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I hope there's one coming as I now have managed to put a deposit down for one :) Dealer was reluctant at first as they hadn't received any confirmed details surrounding the vehicle at the time (4 weeks ago) but after I pushed them and made some enquiries with my contacts inside Volvo UK myself I have hopefully managed to confirm a place for one of the first builds, fingers crossed. Whilst neither would categorically confirm details, timeframes etc.. partially because I think that even Volvo doesn't know themselves I hope to see the car around this time next year or maybe a little sooner, only time will tell. Will be interesting to see how big the changes will be
You actually put a deposit down on a car that isn't confirmed to even exist yet?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts