Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this will have been asked before, but I can't find anything that quite answers the question via a search so I will post.
My friend is looking at a Volvo v40 CC Lux D2 2016 - old model. The dealer has offered...with a bit of haggling, 350 more than he initially offered for the trade in (initially offering less than We Buy any car!). But will not move £1 on the screen price of the new car £20k. Registered July 2016, 3k miles with winter pack and parking sensors and some fancy wheels.

Is it naive to expect a discount, I think not, and they did walk away from the deal - I thought quite rightly. They are a sweet couple, tend to see the best in everyone......and I think probably dealers view them as easy prey, I am trying to make sure they don't get ripped off but don't want to give them bad advice
Any advice would be appreciated thanking you!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Get some quotes for a new my17 model via Carwow (google them). If you dont know them they get quotes from dealers and you buy from the dealer.
Discounts at the moment on the V40 are in the region of 15-20% plus you can have 0% finance with a 50% deposit less a further £750 finance contribution.

Might make a much better deal?? Or at least would give you an idea. Remember that the V40 CC is going to be replaced very soon with the new XC40 so dealers will be keen to get stock off their hands.

Good luck

·
Registered
719 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Wizzy. I did look at the volvo site, the one they were looking at compared to some on the volvo site did seem a bit overpriced and so that's why i was surprised there was no deal to be had.

·
Registered
941 Posts
It does pay to keep in mind that the sticker price doesn't mean much really... It's all about the changeover price!
Have to agree with the other members though... Plenty more fish in the sea & just like fishing... You have to be patient!

I would have walked away too I have to say...
They are obviously very confident they'll get their asking price or they wouldn't have let your friends walk... Time will tell I guess!!

My dealer wants $34k AUD for an entry level Kinetic with similar kms!!
Admittedly with 3 yrs servicing thrown in but on the face of it expensive for the entry level V40 2nd hand!!

Keep looking & keep haggling!!
Good Luck :wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
They made the right decision to walk away - full stop.

Car salesman are right up there with politicians on my hate list and, my first rule of dealing with them is to understand that EVERY word that comes out of their mouth is a lie :) After that, as LateStarter said, have patience. Always be prepared to walk away. This shows them you are in control and won't be bullied into a deal you don't like, and yes, that's what it amounts to during most transactions. Buying a new/near new car should be a pleasant, exciting experience, but in a lot of cases it just isn't.

Gook luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts