Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if this could be classed as Interior or not?

Long story short is I have been an avid Volvo fan and driver for 15 years having owned most of the range from the 850, V70, C70, XC70, XC90 and S80 from various era's and ive recently purchased a 2018 V40 D3 R-Design Pro with 20k miles

Firstly, I love the way it looks with the more aggresive styling front and rear and of course the updated Thor Hammer headlights with LED which are amazing.

However, all this is been negated by the the fact the car is so noisy!

My car has the 18" 225/40/18 Pilot 3's package and apprectiate with such larger alloys and low profile tyres some tramlining and a firmer ride are to be expected along with the 'Sport' Chassis and 10mm lower. What I can't believe is the road noise inside the cabin, even on a short 10 minute commute at 60mph on a dual carriedge way the noise almost makes my ears ache and to drown it out you turn up the radio/DAB/Music etc but its to such a extent you just end up with ringing ears. It roars along on anything but a perfectly smooth surface and these are roads that I travel daily and have done so in 2004 XC90 and a 2010 S80 and both were much more refined road noise wise. The most recent pruchase, a late model XC70 is considerably quieter and has a more comfy ride.

Maybe its just the sector this car is aimed at...? I could understand more so if it was tyre and wheel package but my S80 had 225-50-17 fitted and was a lot more refined in ride and road noise. I dont think fitting the 17" of the R-Design version would be much of a improvement for the road noise but may imrpove the fidgettyness of the ride somewhat.

Pretty dissapointed as always had Volvo's and thought downsizing to save some road tax and fuel and making parking easier in the city but it appears despite its premium price tag, its a step backwards in refinement and maybe have to look back a larger model just for the refinement my old bones need? Another XC70? XC60 maybe.

Thoughts? I am gutted as I love the way it looks but almost hate the way it drives as its such an annoying road noise roar it takes away the driving enjoyment.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think it's a given that these bigger wheels and tyres apparently applied by paintbrush do tend to be noisier. One of the things I like about mine (CC D3, 17") is that it's relatively quiet. Not deathly quiet - can't expect RR levels of soundproofing at this end of the market - but acceptably so. It makes my occasional long haul across France to Cherbourg for the ferry to Ireland relatively pleasant.

·
Registered
47 Posts
we have a T2 R 2018 on the 17” wheels and I would say the road noise is low in comparison to our old focus
The v40 is miles in front of the ford in every aspect and loving every minute
Maybe try a different tyre for decibel rating when they need replacing or could be tyre pressures[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
942 Posts
Firstly, Welcome to the forum Napkins, Good to have you onboard! :)

I must admit to struggling with how to respond to your first post.
I run an identical suspension & tyre setup as you do just in an MY15 R with a petrol T5 engine rather than the D3.

Is my V40T5R whisper quiet on coarse chip surfaces? No, definitely not.
Is it quieter than my previously owned MY12 Focus Titanium on 235/45/17 tyres? Absolutely!
It is also several orders of magnitude quieter than my better halfs 86 GTS on 45 series 17's.
Normal conversation is a struggle on anything other than runway smooth roads in the 86.
The fact the boss is already on hearing aids doesn't help there either though I'm guessing.

I can only really put your disappointment down to what you have driven previously.
I'm seeing a lot of 70's, 80's & 90's in your previous car history.
I do think it is perhaps optimistic to think a 40 series car will compare favourably with a 60, 70, 80 or 90 series car.

To be honest I'd be pretty pee'd off if an S80 didn't out refine a lower spec Volvo as it was the flagship car with a price to match. Is a 3 series BMW or Audi as quiet & refined as a 5 or 7 series? Nope!

Drive an XC40 back to back with an XC60 or 90 & I think you'll find a noticeable step up in refinement with each car.
I certainly did, but maybe that's just me comparing to what I've previously owned.

As noted, there are quieter rated tyres available but I'll take the overall performance of the Michelins over tyre roar all day long. I've seen cars in front of me squirrel around on various surfaces only to have the Michelins remain fully planted over the same area.

Genuinely sorry to hear you are not enjoying your V40 as I absolutely love mine.
I hope you can find a solution.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've just done London to Bournemouth and back on my V40 T3 Auto Momentum Nav+ running 16 inch 205/55 Primacy 4 tyres recently. (I managed to hit 50mpg despite some heavy bank holiday traffic returning late at night, by the time i reached home via central London, it was down to about 48mpg). I wouldn't say that are annoying noisy. My old car was a Seat with 215/40 R17 tyres, those were noisy. I think the combination of R18, 40 profile tyres, and PS3 tyres, contribute to the noise. Unfortunately most 40 profile tyres are noisy. PS3 are rated at 71db, while Primacy 4 are rated at 68db. Could this be the reason? Do you find that even on newly laid roads on the highway, it's still noisy? On my V40, yes some road surfaces are noisier than others, but newly laid road surfaces at 70mph is usually whisper quiet, just wind noise.

·
Registered
41 Posts
V40 with 17" 205s - not the quietest on certain road surfaces but not bad either. Engine and wind noise are in line with the class standard. Increasing use of low noise road surfaces in ireland makes a huge difference to road noise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guess it all depends on your reference point. I commented to my wife just the other day how quiet I found the V40. At 70mph there was barely any road noise and we didn’t have to raise our voices at all to talk. I have a 2017 D4 R-Design Pro on the 18’s with half worn PS3’s on. It’s much quieter than our 2014 Toyota RAV4 as well as my previous 2008 Astra 1.9 and 2002 Audi S3

·
Registered
601 Posts
I went from my amazing S60 D5 2004 model to my V40 and it was the first thing I noticed to be honest.
No different to most £20k modern cars I guess. I was just spoilt with the build quality of my very old S60 which had carpets thicker than anything in my house.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My V40 R-Design running on 19" wheels pretty much describes what you say however it wasn't a surprise for me. My other car is a 18MY XF Sportbrake with adaptive suspension so it's really night and day..but to be honest I rather drive the V40 even with all that road noise. Someone also mentioned that different tyres will have different noise (which is true) so check on blackcircles or other website for lower noise tyres.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Road noise is definitely noticeable but not the worst I’ve experienced. I think you’ve highlighted part of the issue yourself with wheel size and tyre type. You can probably negate some of this effect with different tyres but this probably won’t make a huge difference.

I think as above the issue is probably that you’re coming from cars which will have been considerably more refined given their position in Volvo’s range and are comparing the V40 to those. Certainly for me the V40 is noticeably quieter than my previous Ford Focus and Ford Fiesta!

I definitely agree though that other than perfectly smooth, recently resurfaced roads, the V40 does let in noticeable road noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
my 2018 d3 v40 has noticeable road noise at speed. I changed into it from a ds5 which had double glazing so you can imagine the comparison for me... but I really like the drive, my old car was whisper quiet in the cabin but cornered like a whale ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
just my note, i had half worn rear tyres and they whined like a bad bearing, replaced under selekt warranty and dead quiet, they were replaced at 15k miles had loads of life left but were just noisy, they were the OE fit as well, the replacements are at around 20k and have started to whine again, i may replace them myself with something else eventually, for now i turn the stereo up....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had my 2013 v40 t5 awd for almost two years now and previously I had two Volvos c70 coupe with frameless windows which tend to be noisier than the standard ones. V40 is noisier than c70 both suspension wise and general insulation wise. But I've managed with it:) I insulate myself every car I have because I'm always disappointed with my "new" car insulation. So I did with c70 and now with v40. I insulated v40's floor, roof, doors. I put additional sealing around factory window sealing, not one sealing but a few different ones. I also replaced 18 inch Continental wheels which I found terribly noisy and replaced with 17 inch, Kormoran snow pro 205 50 17, and now I can enjoy a quiet ride. So I do recommend insulating, it helped a lot.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've had my 2013 v40 t5 awd for almost two years now and previously I had two Volvos c70 coupe with frameless windows which tend to be noisier than the standard ones. V40 is noisier than c70 both suspension wise and general insulation wise. But I've managed with it:) I insulate myself every car I have because I'm always disappointed with my "new" car insulation. So I did with c70 and now with v40. I insulated v40's floor, roof, doors. I put additional sealing around factory window sealing, not one sealing but a few different ones. I also replaced 18 inch Continental wheels which I found terribly noisy and replaced with 17 inch, Kormoran snow pro 205 50 17, and now I can enjoy a quiet ride. So I do recommend insulating, it helped a lot.
Honestly - apart from road noise on certain surfaces I find the car fairly quiet. Wind and suspension noise are well contained, in my view. I had a 3 series prior to this which was a little quieter but it is a class (or two) above.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd really like to know the db reading before and a
I'd love to know the db readings before and after your sound insulating.... how did you insulate the roof, floor and doors?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Easy, turn up your stereo.

dB readings are best at Max RPM, Max fuel consumption

Enjoy the drive and worry less about the noise

Time to get rid of those mufflers :)

It is all relative, if you want a quiet car don't buy a Volvo

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd really like to know the db reading before and a
I'd love to know the db readings before and after your sound insulating.... how did you insulate the roof, floor and doors?
I used many different materials that I bought online, special foams, but mats. It was a very time consuming process, mostly cause different plastic panels needed to be removed. The biggest problem I had with insulating doors as there were metals panels with a window housing and it was necessary to detached door glass which took me long time during the first door. Then you get a experience and it goes faster :). Headlining was also an issue because I needed a help from my nephew while dismantling process. I had also insulated wheel arches from inside and outside which reduced the noise from the road quite a bit. But all in all the most effective for the hole insulating adventure was insulating v40's doors sealings. There are many more additional sealings around the factory ones that I applied which I think made my effort the most efficient.
The one drawback is that to close the door you need to push harder than originally but it is worth it:)
I attached the photo. May mods don't always look very "factory" but I prefer silence that the factory noise:)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts