Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well lovely wife thought she still had enough fuel with display showing 30km to empty before last pick up run of the day which is approx 5km there and back in peak hour. By the time she got it back it was showing ........ which I assumes means zero.

Drove it very gingerly to the closest petrol and station and put some V Power 98 in. Not happy that she got it so low on first tank..

What do people normally fill up at, I try not to go below 100 normally on my car.

Avg fuel consumption for first tank 14.9l/100km not great given it is all start stop and engine is still tight hope it will improve. Think that is around 19mpg in the old money terms. My diesel Passat prob averages about half that at the moment lol.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Here in the UK, my D2 has on average done 660 (1200km) miles on a full tank, sometimes 750 (1350km) sometimes less...anyway, there are a couple of threads about this but broadly speaking the trip will take it down to 20 miles to go here, then "------" and at that point the last bar goes from white to red...I would reckon you're still good for all of those 20 miles at that point and hey, isn't that all part of the dare to take it as far as possible...no!?

Reactions: Lee_G

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have taken it down to the Red a few times on my Diesel D2 and even run out.
Got about 18 miles out of it, before it did.
One thing to remember when in the Red do not park on the kirb with 2 wheels(cannot remember which 2) but tilt of the car moves fuel in tank and if on wrong side car will not start in the morning.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Haha I also feel I need to see this red bar!!

Darren how far do you chance it to get the 660 out of a tank, is that waiting for the red bar to come on. I usually get 600 out a tank but i fuel up as soon as it drops onto the last bar and the warning pops up.

·
Registered
273 Posts
@CompanyCarDriver that has to be tip of the day...though you need to remember as it's a bit like "cut the red or blue wire" lol. Also, I ca,'t believe that you ran it to empty...I thought that was a no no for diesels or have times a changed?

@mos I would say that the orange fuel light comes on "generally" at around 600 miles and will say 60 miles to empty...then at 20 miles to go the "------" will appear then about 5 miles later the red bar will come on.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I (our lass) brims it when it is next convenient after it gets down to 100 mile, we only ever use vpower diesel.

I get 18mpg out of our lasses t5 (mk2focus st, xr5down under) but thwat is after the 285bhp remap, it only used to give 16mpg in standard 225bhp form

·
Registered
21 Posts
Had my D4 Auto for a year now and average over 16,400km is 7.2 L/100km. That's 90% Melbourne inner city driving. Before our extremely hot summer, average was 6.9 L/100km. Pretty happy with that given the performance of the torquey D4.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm astounded by these low-low MPG figures. How much is a litre of Diesel and petrol in Australia?

I know you didn't suffer the same level of recession as most of the Northern Hemisphere but surely the cost of fuel is a consideration.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Been a few times to "----" and still drive around 5-10km around to get to a petrol station

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm astounded by these low-low MPG figures. How much is a litre of Diesel and petrol in Australia?

I know you didn't suffer the same level of recession as most of the Northern Hemisphere but surely the cost of fuel is a consideration.
depending on the day and which petrol station, the premium unleaded is about $1.50-1.80 per litre. I'm quite shocked that the v40 is actually doing a lot more kilometers on 1 tank than my mazda 6 did (I had it for 2.5 years and best i could get was 13l/100km). And believe me... I have pedal to the metal any chance i get in the v40 :angel:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Makes some sense at least.

$1.50 Aus = 80p uk. We pay (in the South) £1.36 for diesel today but yes, it varies that quickly some times!

At 80p a litre I probably wouldn't be concerned so much myself.

Just got back from having the lovely V serviced. The boys at Tolbar in Warwick seem to have done a good job and after the 60 odd mile trip to my M1 junction she was showing 68.8mpg. Then the usual Friday Evening traffic kicked in. 20 miles nose-to-tale on B roads and back to 67.1 when I parked at home. Still pretty darned good.

Incidentally. The software upgrade - as part of the service, is supposed to fix the whining fan problem I've had. I'll let you all know if it works.

·
Registered
110 Posts
D4 Lux, and at 132km left on the distance to empty (1 white bar) - I ran out on the freeway on a long (slight) incline. Interesting experience.
No problems, except the wait for road service. Started first time after a few litres into it; which with no lock on the cap was super easy to refuel (and probably milk).
Reported it on the first service. They said they could find no reason for it.
Have never seen the red others talk about - always fill up when the warning comes on now :)
Average 5.8 l/100km for the first 20k. 8.3c/km according to Fuelly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
@CompanyCarDriver that has to be tip of the day...though you need to remember as it's a bit like "cut the red or blue wire" lol. Also, I ca,'t believe that you ran it to empty...I thought that was a no no for diesels or have times a changed?

@mos I would say that the orange fuel light comes on "generally" at around 600 miles and will say 60 miles to empty...then at 20 miles to go the "------" will appear then about 5 miles later the red bar will come on.
@ DarrenCC - AA man said I was lucky, can blow out the fuel filter (I think that's what he said, cannot remember) AA man put some-more Diesel in and sprayed a lot of WD40 through the front grill and it restarted after about the 4 attempt.
I do not recommend buying fuel from the AA as they charge more than your local garage would.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What red bar? Are you saying that after the fuel light comes on the final white bar will turn red.(orange) I think I am to much of a wuss to try and find out! I got to 95km to empty yesterday and decided I wasn't brave enough to eek out the 40km to home.
I got 750km out of my tank, Darren's figures are astounding in comparison.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Filled up for the first time yesterday. Distance to empty 340 miles.

Apparently there is a downside to 255bhp and AWD....

·
Registered
273 Posts
my car is a year old on Monday and ironically, is going in for it's 3 year/37,500 mile service too...whoop! I've had occasional "hot" trips in the D2 that have bared 500 miles from the tank...there again 800. I assure you that every tank with considerate driving will return 680 mile...and I applaud the D2 because when you need to drop it a couple of gears, she performs. bravo. Darren

Reactions: Jimbo5556
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.