Volvo V40 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
I remember seeing a 5th gear or program like it where they tested different car washes. Got a detailer complete with his hand lens to check the job. Auto whirling wheel car washes were no surprises bad. The hand car washes (neither were supermarket same old water ones) were (a) ok - but with some marks where that one used a wiper/squeegee and (b) really good (only used cloths to wipe/polish) - iirc the detailer was really impressed and couldn't tell the difference from a hand wash he'd do*

*my memory can be selective :)

I'm sure someone can find it on YouTube..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Never tried the 'waterless' washes you can buy...don't see the point and cannot believe they don't scratch the paintwork!

There is nothing nicer than a properly clean car inside and out :grin2:
There could be the odd occasion where a "waterless wash" could be necessary, although I've never tried it. The inevitable hose ban after a week without rain for instance. Take a look at this YouTube video, a bit long winded but very thorough.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I find YouTube detailer Car Cleaning Guru videos quite hypnotic. Although he speaks in unfeasibly long sentences, he really seems to love his work, and has very nearly given me enough inspiration to clean my car more than once every 10 years as per my last car, which was eventually likened to some kind of Biodiversity project.
This video explains swirls

Snow foams, Pressure washers, products, white cars and many a supercar are covered. He also happens to drive an (old model) V40 himself.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes, I usually wash at least once per day. I find Radox shower gel is good for keeping clean. I sometimes use some of SWMBO's cream for wrinkles and try to trim the beard twice a week.
I find this keeps me looking smart and clean and wards off all those nasties floating around :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh, you didnt mean that wash :surprise:

In that case, I am another Autoglym fan. A bit of snowfoam, wash down, aqua wax with a CLEAN,NEW microfibre cloth brings out the best. Then the cars go for a 'birthday' at the local detailers for some scrubbing and HD wax every 6 months or so. Usually april and October--ish.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have always washed my own car, I don't even like the Dealers washing it after a service.
I always ask them not to wash it and the two times I've asked (for my last two services) they have obliged no fuss. I feel a bit awkward asking them not to wash it as most places think along the lines of "it's a free wash, and you don't want it?" followed by puzzled looks, but not at my dealers. Don't get me wrong, being a tight Yorkshireman I love the word "free" but I've seen the dirty chamois leathers hanging off door handles before and the one sponge they use on all the cars and I just don't want that anywhere near mine!

Sent from my  iPhone

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does nobody else worry about the first stage dirt remover which is sprayed on at hand wash places (and Volvo dealers)?

A couple of my colleagues have had to replace number plates after less than a year due to the acid completely de-laminating them. One BMW dealer explained that it was due to the acid based products sprayed on at car washes (before admitting that they use them too, for speed).

I tried the hand wash once, only to find that they had completely stripped the wax off, which I had spent hours applying only a couple of weeks before!

·
Registered
140 Posts
This is a helpful video on giving car a good clean, its a V40 too! - I cheat by using Autoglym Aquawax after you wash it as its much quicker, but I intend to use the resin polish and seal like in this video but I recon it would take another 30-60 minutes.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Mechanical car wash !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG thats sacrilegious .

I ALWAYS hand wash myself, I dont even allow my dealer to wash the car during a service.

Theres a number of hand wash gangs locally but I dont use them.
I was stopped in a traffic jam a few days ago across the road from one of these place's, I sat there watching this fella wash down a 2016 plate BMW , he was taking his wash mitt from the stinking dirty sill's up over the side of the car, dragging all the mud and grit from the sill onto the side of the doors and glass, then to add insult to injury he started spraying the alloys with what can only be described as industrial strength acid to quickly power wash off the brake dust.

I was witnessing car wash murder in broad daylight, and pulled away a quivering wreck . :crying:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Do I wash? Yes.
When I first got the car, and occasionally since (about twice a year) I gave it a good clean and polish. I use Blackfire Wet Diamond. When I wash I use a hose with a spray nozzle and a wool mit. No shampoo. I start on the roof and move down to the sills rinsing off the mit frequently. I use Auto Finesse Revolution on the wheels, and I do take them off and apply a polish to the inner rim when I change from winter to summer wheels., and vice versa.
I then dry the bodywork using microfibre drying towels.
I can do a quick wash in about 30 mins, nor do I get any swirls. I could, of course, spend the whole morning cleaning the car, and avoiding all those tasks allocated by SWMBO

·
Registered
53 Posts
I can do a quick wash in about 30 mins, nor do I get any swirls. I could, of course, spend the whole morning cleaning the car, and avoiding all those tasks allocated by SWMBO
I thought that was why God invented buckets, so that we had an excuse to avoid all those tasks.
Two bucket method for me, and as many products as possible. I've got products for every reason known to man to get the car clean. Never quite worked out the correct order to use them all in. It keeps the neighbours entertained though, especially when the snow foam lance comes out!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I prefer to wash the car myself , I actually quite enjoy it when the weather is pleasant.
We have two cars in the family and so trying to keep both clean when working full time can be a challenge.
So I do use the hand car wash places occasionally but don't really like to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
wash it myself (apart from when it goes in 4 service) don't trust them hand wash type places cant see how washing wi mucky water they've been using same water allday is going 2 be any good 4 the paintwork bound 2 get scratch'd 2hell!!
https://youtu.be/UHFwkFTKtMw

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've always preferred to wash my own cars as I know the job is getting done properly. I just bought my used V40 in black. It had been used as a courtesy car and I doubt it had ever been cleaned in its first 3 months of use. The dealer delivered it to me clean but in all honesty they can't afford to devote time to bringing the car back to as new.
Anyway, to that end I have just spent a good few hours detailing it and really bringing the black up to standard. It now looks great.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes regularly thanks...

On a serious note the "two bucket" (YouTube it) method is the only way to wash your car safely without damaging the paint work I.e. swirls! Quickly followed by drying the car with good quality microfiber cloths before any of the water has chance to dry... If you want to get technical you can actually use a steady flow of water to dry your car quickly.

Then of your serious about getting good results... Clay (this will remove any fine dirt particles prior to polishing) the car in small 1x1m sections ensuring that the paint is sufficiently lubricated using a detailer spray etc..

Then comes the tricky part being able to polish effectively and safely... I'm guessing because you guys are Volvo owners your cars paint isn't going to be badly damaged. So a softer cutting compound (105?) will be required, again gently polish 1x1m areas at a time (using a orbital polisher with decent pads) until the car is complete.

If you want the best result allow for a full day as a minimum or be ready to shell out over 300 pound for a pro to do it for you.

All the best,

James

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you don't know what you are doing with the machine ploisher... Don't attempt it!

I've had things go wrong before, luckily on much cheaper cars.

·
Registered
53 Posts
wash it myself (apart from when it goes in 4 service) don't trust them hand wash type places cant see how washing wi mucky water they've been using same water allday is going 2 be any good 4 the paintwork bound 2 get scratch'd 2hell!!
https://youtu.be/UHFwkFTKtMw
I don't trust the dealers either. Yours might be better than my local one, but I always get them to write on the job card "DO NOT WASH!".

·
Registered
8 Posts
I always wash mine myself......just the effort of driving down to the Eastern Europeans to get a wash makes it not worth while...and at least if I do it myself I know I've done a good job, and like the OP, I find it quite Therapeutic 0:)

Had my V40 all of 6 hours, and its been hoovered out, washed, polished, tyre wall dressing applied, tyre pressures checked....and then I found it didn't have a dipstick... but I digress ....:surprise:

21 - 40 of 48 Posts