Volvo V40 Forums banner

Does the USB port support...

15K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jessehouwing 
#1 ·
A few question about the USB port, the dealership couldn't answer me...
- can you connect a usb hub or Y-Splitter to charge your phone *and* connect a usb key at the same time?
- can you connect a 2.5" usb harddrive and power it through the usb port alone?
- is the usb port powered even if you're not playing music from it?
- is the usb port powered when the car is turned off?
- can it play from a Samsung Galaxy S2? (it mounts more than one drive when connected through USB) or will I need to use Bluetooth streaming?
- Is there a size limit to the disk or will any size do? (limited to fat32 max size f course)

And a similar question about the bluetooth carkit, will it allow you to attach two phones at the same time? I usually travel with both a company and a personal phone :).

Discussion starter · #4 ·
vforty said:
To add, I came across a user in a different V40 forum that is using 2.5" hard disk (1TB). So it is possible, but seems some Western Digital disks do not work (reason is not clear)

Also note that some users are reporting that the player does not handle mp3s with variable bit rates (VBR) very well.
It probably depends on the amount of power needed to let the platters spin. Some drives can work with just a tad little than others.

The second item is a little worrisome... most of my songs are vbr...

Discussion starter · #7 ·
The Manual for the v40 mentions that a USB hub is supported. The issue with the WD drives is probably that it requires too much power. More than the single USB port can provide.

Bluetooth streaming works from the S2. It works as well when connecting over USB. The audio system will show multiple USB drives and you need to select the one to play from. Perfect!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.