Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
........... because you can't order a spare. The only way to get another wrench/key is to order a kit which contains a new set of 4 bolts. You then have to get the original bolts cut off. http://tinyurl.com/bk9uqjx

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yellowbelly said:
........... because you can't order a spare. The only way to get another wrench/key is to order a kit which contains a new set of 4 bolts. You then have to get the original bolts cut off. http://tinyurl.com/bk9uqjx
The kit currently costs £63.10! :rolleyes: :mad:
http://tinyurl.com/a2pkqww

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
I had locknuts fitted to my V40 a few months back, always leave that weird lock key with all the spare tyre tools.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So this morning I realised I left the locking wheel nut on the nut. 3 weeks ago. Dealer says can't get part. Customer services told me to ring them to get them to order a new one. Now this is what normally happens when you lose one, because I've done it before >:)
It happens at Vauxhall Renault bmw mini. But not volvo. Really guys. What are you playing at volvo. Surely you expect the odd plonker to buy your car as and loose their locking wheel nuts!! Don't you keep a record of what number gets put onto each car and therefore helping your customer to contact the the suppliers and get a new one.

·
Registered
600 Posts
With my old nuts on my S60, you could take a photo and send it to Germany. They used some mapping software and worked it out and sent you it.

On my V40, the locking key came in a little bright orange pouch, that I keep in my...... ermmm not sure now!

·
Registered
741 Posts
This is the first manufacture I've heard of that cant order a replacement locking wheel nut key, pure madness !!!!!!!!
Maybe then it might be safer, easier and definitely cheaper to replace the Volvo locking wheel nuts (if you got the key lol), with a set from somewhere like Halfords ?
I've bought a set in the past and lost the key, so just rang up the manufacture with the code from the set and had one sent to me, for a couple of £'s.

At least this way you can always get hold of a key.

When you sell the car put the originals back on.........
If you havent lost them :laugh:

·
Registered
94 Posts
There is a cutout in the glovebox to keep your locking key...

·
Registered
404 Posts
I didn't realise there was a moulding in the glove box. Ours is in with the spare wheel (where there is also a dedicated space for it), but I guess not everyone will have the spare wheel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had to get a locking wheel nut key for my wife's mini a while back. Took it to a BMW/Mini Dealer where they had a nice wooden case with about 20 different keys, once matched they sold me one as they had in stock. Said they sold lots as the metal used in the BMW/Mini keys are soft and easily gets mangled when a mechanic uses a gun instead of a wrench as was the case on my wife's.

Not difficult Volvo.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'm guessing the problem is using the key and forgetting to put it away afterwards .
Volvo really should have the facility to order a new key.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Had to get a locking wheel nut key for my wife's mini a while back. Took it to a BMW/Mini Dealer where they had a nice wooden case with about 20 different keys, once matched they sold me one as they had in stock. Said they sold lots as the metal used in the BMW/Mini keys are soft and easily gets mangled when a mechanic uses a gun instead of a wrench as was the case on my wife's.

Not difficult Volvo.
If your dealer has a "one will fit" set of keys with only 20 different patterns, so do the guys that you are trying to keep away with that locking wheel nut. May as well just get rid of them, they don't really keep the thieves away anyway.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
For the C1-platform cars (C30, S/V40, V50) used to use the McGard SL 'spinning collar'-type locking nuts that a lot of other manufacturers (Ford, for one) use.

They came with a card that had a code number on it - you can go onto McGard's website and buy a replacement key based on the code.

The locknut sets McGard supply to car manufacturers usually have a restricted range of keys so the dealers could order 'master' sets. The card that comes with a Ford set of McGard nuts has a single colour code, and you can order a replacement key from a Ford dealer based on the colour.

However, the McGard design has some well-known weaknesses if they are used incorrectly (being installed or removed with an impact driver instead of manually), or if you are unlucky enough for one of them to seize. The part of the key that fits into the nut can wear and deform, or shear off in the nut, and the head of the nut itself can shear off, leaving a small steel sleeve stuck on the stud.

It seems that around 2005/2006 Volvo decided to change their supplier of locking nuts used across the range to the Heyner ChromeSafe Pro model that has a toothed outer ring and fake spinning nut in the centre:

This is theoretically a better design as the larger diameter mating surface and increased number of teeth should make it stronger and allow it to handle more torque in the event of seized nut (Heyner's specs claim a rating of 400Nm)

As has previously been stated, however, the dealers say they cannot supply spare keys. They are coded, however (if you look inside the socket there is a single letter stamped inside). The use of a single letter indicates that there can't be that many combinations available, presumably to make the 'master' sets supplied to dealers manageable. If I was being cynical I would suggest the policy of not supplying keys separately is a way to make more money by selling a complete locking nut set instead.

Strangely you do sometimes see keys of this type listed on ebay identified by the letter (there are a couple up on there now), presumably from cars being broken, or complete sets that may be worth buying for a spare key alone. It may also be possible to obrain a spare key directly from Heyner if you know the code letter, as the they can supply spare keys for sets purchased directly from them.

Interestingly if you buy a locking nut set direct from Heyner they are also half the price of a set in the Volvo packaging (£30 versus £60)
http://www.wheellockingnuts.co.uk/chrome-safe-wheel-locking-bolts-m12-x-1.5-type-i3/m

·
Registered
25 Posts
If your dealer has a "one will fit" set of keys with only 20 different patterns, so do the guys that you are trying to keep away with that locking wheel nut. May as well just get rid of them, they don't really keep the thieves away anyway.
Yep I agree. As the Mini was bought second hand and needed new tyres it was easier to go down that route. I was led to believe that the 20 odd key combination was common to both BMW and Mini :surprise:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just found that my dealer had lost the key sometime before I picked it up. It appears that they do this regularly as they brought out an orange bag containing one that was in the manager's office that had been left there and it was off a different car. They then used a master set to find out the key number. Then they obviously couldn't get a key as when I brought it back they removed the old nuts and replaced with a new set. At least I got it sorted before I needed it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a matter of interest, how may locking nut keys should be supplied with a new car......Mine came with only one.....All previous cars I have owned have had two.:s:s

1 - 19 of 19 Posts