Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would have thought that in the event of an accident the fact that the rear off side is permanently locked would cause problems should this not be a recall issue

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good luck with that line - if I was Volvo I'd say "well what about the C30?"

It is a known and common issue with all Volvos of a certain era. You may get some goodwill.

I have a 2012 V60 and a 2013 V40, and between them 4 locks have gone. I've been lucky so far - 2 done under warranty, the 3rd taken apart by a very good mechanic and a £5 motor replaced, the 4th (in my V60) is in the garage with the same mechanic as I type, but the prognosis is not so good....fear I may finally have to suck up the cost of a new lock!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Our V40 Cross country just had the rear drivers side door lock replaced the door refused to open from both outside and inside, our car has just clocked up 30200 miles, took it to Volvo, the policy for replacement was 50% cost, but still not happy to pay the other 50% that's £ 155, on a car that done so little miles, to have such a serious fault, if you cant get out its a very serious safety issue, Volvo should change it from a policy to a full recall, !!! or if not a recall for car that don't need it at least, a free replacement if it happens
thinking of contacting Ripoffbritten on the BBC, Which Magazine, see if we can get a refund !!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Apologies for not being super technical, but the bit that fails, and seems to have an average life of 5 years, is a little motor which costs £2.25 to replace.
The individual motors are only available at present for some MYs and some locks (depending on whether LHD/RHD, near/offside etc) but more are becoming available.
The one I had fail this week (drivers side, RHD V60, early MY13) was one of the few with no motors available :(

The motors typically fail gradually....an isolated failure becomes 50/50, then occasionally works, then dies. If that happens, find an Indy who is prepared to look for an just replace the motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts