Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was one of the original OPs on a door not unlocking thread about 5 years ago, and notice there have been a few since.

Yesterday my 2012 V40 did something I've not seen before, again with the doors.

This time, the offside rear door won't open. Not from inside or outside. Simply feels deadlocked so there's no resistance when I pull the handles. Tried lots of button pushing but it's jammed.

Will have to go to the garage I suppose unless anyone thinks it's worth disconnecting the battery for a "turn it off and on again" fix.

It's disappointing to have had so many door problems as they are the only serious trouble I've had in 5 happy years with my D3. I really think there are design flaws in the doors and Volvo should have recalled.

·
Registered
767 Posts
seems the problem with Volvo door locks has never really gone away just lurking, we had one of the first complete lockout fails when they started fitting tyre monitoring and spent 8 months of regular visits to the dealer or calling out Volvo care, trying to get it sorted why the tyre monitors should affect the door locks in the end we gave up and sent the car back, our replacement has had no such problem in fact after the 3 year lease is up we have extended it for another 2 years as you say it is a good car in every respect other than the locks being so suspect, hope you get it sorted soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my v40 since March 16, no problem bless at all until yesterday when my drivers side rear door would not open! I have booked it in at my local dealer to hopefully get it sorted. There was no mention of other owners having the problem with there cars, glad I found this forum !

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've got this problem. Couldn't open the passenger rear door and the handle feels like it's not connected to anything.
Oddly the other rear door seemed to do this about 2 or 3 weeks ago but locking and unlocking the car seemed to sort it, though this doesn't seem to fix the problem I've got now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

I'm new here, but just registered to say I too have been struck with the rear-door not unlocking issue.

Bought my V40 from a dealer in 15, and it is a 12 model, so out of warranty i'm gutted to say.

It has been completely locked for a few days now and I have a baby (in ISO-fixed baby seat!) positioned by the other door so access to the back seats is not possible and I currently cannot carry any passengers in the back.

Surely this is a safety issue? Dread to think if we were in an accident what would happen.......

Anyone got any recent knowledge on what the dealers are doing when faced with this? I'm worried about the bill since my dealership aren't very helpful at the best of times and seem really expensive.

All the best.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hi All,

I'm new here, but just registered to say I too have been struck with the rear-door not unlocking issue.

Bought my V40 from a dealer in 15, and it is a 12 model, so out of warranty i'm gutted to say.

It has been completely locked for a few days now and I have a baby (in ISO-fixed baby seat!) positioned by the other door so access to the back seats is not possible and I currently cannot carry any passengers in the back.

Surely this is a safety issue? Dread to think if we were in an accident what would happen.......

Anyone got any recent knowledge on what the dealers are doing when faced with this? I'm worried about the bill since my dealership aren't very helpful at the best of times and seem really expensive.

All the best.
As far as I know, they replace the lock actuator module (and usually the door panel, which gets damaged in the process of removing it with the door closed). It's not just the V40 that has the problem, the 2011-on S60 & V60 has also has the problem (the lock actuator is a common part with the V40).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the exact same problem happen almost 2 weeks ago, and like the user above, have an isofix baby seat in the back so finding it very difficult to carry other passengers. Has anybody had any luck with the dealership sorting the problem and what where the charges? Mines a 13 plate so out of warranty now, but as it seems such a common fault that isn’t just wear and tear, it seems a cheek that we should have to pay for the repair when there is an obvious problem/defect. I bought the car when we started our family and at the moment it’s absolutely useless and not a family car, lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had the exact same problem happen almost 2 weeks ago, and like the user above, have an isofix baby seat in the back so finding it very difficult to carry other passengers. Has anybody had any luck with the dealership sorting the problem and what where the charges? Mines a 13 plate so out of warranty now, but as it seems such a common fault that isn’t just wear and tear, it seems a cheek that we should have to pay for the repair when there is an obvious problem/defect. I bought the car when we started our family and at the moment it’s absolutely useless and not a family car, lol.

Just had another lock replaced under extended Warranty. However Volvo Customer Services are not willing to offer anything other than soft words and keep bouncing me back to the dealer who says they can't do anything unless there is a fault code.

The very nature of it is intermittent and no fault code was recorded the last time it happened on the other rear door. I get their point, but as I've been inconvenienced by it first hand on several occasions I'm feeling pretty fobbed off by their lack of support on a previously reported problem.

If you have a video showing the fault in action, It might be worth discussing via customer services. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine's in today and Volvo have offered to cover 20% of the cost, so it's just over £200 to repair it. They mentioned the lock on the phone to me, but that may just be the person not having all the details so will see what the invoice says when I collect it.

Strangely she did say that the repair wouldn't involve any damage to the door card so will be interesting to see what they've done when I collect it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does the faulty lock issue only affect certain model years or is it just as likely to occur on newer models? I guess what I'm asking is have the affected parts been modified, otherwise aren't the locks that have been replaced just as likely to suffer the same fate at some time in the future?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bit of an update.

Took it back in today as they needed to get the part from Sweden.

I queried why only 20% of the cost was being covered and they said it was unusual and it's usually 50%. Anyway went to pick it up and after work and Volvo have covered 100% of the cost.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My rear door locks are replaced for the second time in 2 years!!
After a lot of discussion they replaced the locks under warranty.
My car is 4 years old and i hope this issue is now solved for the last time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was one of the original OPs on a door not unlocking thread about 5 years ago, and notice there have been a few since.

Yesterday my 2012 V40 did something I've not seen before, again with the doors.

This time, the offside rear door won't open. Not from inside or outside. Simply feels deadlocked so there's no resistance when I pull the handles. Tried lots of button pushing but it's jammed.

Will have to go to the garage I suppose unless anyone thinks it's worth disconnecting the battery for a "turn it off and on again" fix.

It's disappointing to have had so many door problems as they are the only serious trouble I've had in 5 happy years with my D3. I really think there are design flaws in the doors and Volvo should have recalled.
This worked for me.
On the main control panel, push: My Car - Settings - OK - Car Settings - Lock Settings - Doors Unlock
Then, change from "All Doors" to "Drivers door, then All" - OK.
Then just keep pressing exit to main screen.
At the risk of being pedantic, the next time you press the unlock button on your key fob, only the drivers' door only will open. Press again, all doors will open. It's worked for me 100% and is safer. Stops evil people nipping into the passengers' seat when you open the car!

Bookmark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts