Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have had something totally weird happen to my front left and front rear door on two separate occasions.

On each occasion the door in question just would not open. Using the unlock button on driver's door, using the remote, using the door handle - none of it worked. In both situations we actually had to crawl across the seat to get out.

We then left the vehicle locked overnight and then in morning seemed to work again.

I am sending it in to have Volvo look at but has anyone else had a similar problem. Any ideas.

Thanks.

Adrian

·
Registered
68 Posts
Easy, report it to the dealorship, volvo has a known problem for the locks on some cars.

Got the lock on the driver door replaced on my last car.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This door lock problem has just happened to me - o/s rear door refuses to unlock. My car is in for service next week so I will get the dealer to sort it out.

Just wondering, how do they replace the lock if the door won't open? :huh:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just had mine fixed. The nearside rear would not unlock once the auto lock came on as I moved off. Sometimes it would unlock using the unlock all doors button other times it wouldn't. Took it into the dealer who said there was a upgraded lock with a different wiring loom as it was a known fault. I had to wait about 3-4 weeks for it to arrive. Took them about an hour to fit, there have been no problems since. My vehicle is MY13 cross country D2.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Known issue with a safety item but no recall...surely not!!!

I had one of mine go a couple of months ago and the dealer thought I was being a bit funny when I pointed out I expected it to be dealt with without booking it in in advance as it is a safety issue

·
Registered
20 Posts
Known issue with a safety item but no recall...surely not!!!

I had one of mine go a couple of months ago and the dealer thought I was being a bit funny when I pointed out I expected it to be dealt with without booking it in in advance as it is a safety issue

if the garage does not know your booked in how are they expected to have the parts in stock??? even our garage doesant have a crystal ball

·
Registered
1 Posts
V40 lock door lock problems

I have a 63 reg V40 D3, 16000 miles. The first lock to fail was front passenger door. Unable to open from inside or out. As I had a disabled passenger this was a real problem. I sent for Volvo assist who were with me in just under an hour. By that time I'd managed to open the door by continually trying from the remote key fob and the driver's door mounted locking button. The car was returned to the dealer (Rybrooks, Chester) and the internal door mechanism changed under warranty. I am now experiencing the same fault with the rear nearside door and , more worryingly, the drivers door. The car is now booked in for those faults to be attended to, again, under warranty. I feel that as there are safety issues relating to this problem Volvo should have issued a recall.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had this issue 2 or 3 times with the near side front door. Wouldn't open with and passenger had to climb over to get out.

My car is out of warranty now. If this is a know issue, has anyone had it fixed out of warranty?

Thanks in advance!

Stephen

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had this issue 2 or 3 times with the near side front door. Wouldn't open with and passenger had to climb over to get out.

My car is out of warranty now. If this is a know issue, has anyone had it fixed out of warranty?

Thanks in advance!

Stephen
Hi Stephen,

I've just had the locks on my 2013 V40 sorted - at no cost to me. See this other thread on the topic of door locks: http://www.volvov40club.com/forums/7-volvo-v40-general-discussion/794-door-locking-4.html#post240034
My car is outside the 3 year warranty, but "Volvo uk have a policy action in that Volvo have agreed to sort out this apparent lock problem of an additional year (yr4)".

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 63 reg V40 D3, 16000 miles. The first lock to fail was front passenger door. Unable to open from inside or out. As I had a disabled passenger this was a real problem. I sent for Volvo assist who were with me in just under an hour. By that time I'd managed to open the door by continually trying from the remote key fob and the driver's door mounted locking button. The car was returned to the dealer (Rybrooks, Chester) and the internal door mechanism changed under warranty. I am now experiencing the same fault with the rear nearside door and , more worryingly, the drivers door. The car is now booked in for those faults to be attended to, again, under warranty. I feel that as there are safety issues relating to this problem Volvo should have issued a recall.
Bought my V40 D2 in 2012 at just under 1yr old. Whilst still under warranty I had the same problem with not being able to open passenger door. On one occasion the passenger had to climb over to the drivers side to get out (I was lucky that although she was in her 80's she was very fit). Then when taking a friend to see a cricket match, he could not get out, this time we were right by a Volvo dealer who eventually managed to let him out. They then had the car in and replaced to locks. Just the other day whilst I was away for the week-end I could not get the driver's door open and had to climb over to get out of the passenger's side (not easy being a 75yr old). Next morning it opened first time!!! Will be taking it to my nearest Volvo dealership shortly and I suppose I can look forward to another extortionate bill!!! Having previously had to pay out for a new front collision warning module which malfunctioned shortly after coming out of warranty, although they did pay something towards it upon writing to UK head office.

Wish I had stuck to BMW's.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have had my car 5 months ('63 plate SE Lux Nav with remote keys / starting)...first to fail was OS rear...replaced under warranty, both back doors. Then the drivers door (very inconvenient); lock replaced under warranty too. Now the passenger door intermittent (locked a Client in yesterday...somewhat embarrassing) so have asked the garage to order parts...though as some have mentioned here, working OK the next day...but for how long?

Hate to think how much this would cost if not covered by warranty from purchase from Volvo dealer!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I may have missed this but does anyone know if you can use the key blade to unlock the front passenger door in the key hole under the cap as you do for flat battery when it won't open ?not ideal but might help someone get out.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I may have missed this but does anyone know if you can use the key blade to unlock the front passenger door in the key hole under the cap as you do for flat battery when it won't open ?not ideal but might help someone get out.
Yes you can. It's in the handbook page 164

·
Registered
7 Posts
Both rear locks changed 2015, now reardoors won't open when temperature is below zero. Can be opened from inside.

Read from swedish site that there is Quality Bulletin in Sweden for rear locks, change without charge up to 4 years, after that Volvo pays 50%

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I have had something totally weird happen to my front left and front rear door on two separate occasions.

On each occasion the door in question just would not open. Using the unlock button on driver's door, using the remote, using the door handle - none of it worked. In both situations we actually had to crawl across the seat to get out.

We then left the vehicle locked overnight and then in morning seemed to work again.

I am sending it in to have Volvo look at but has anyone else had a similar problem. Any ideas.

Thanks.

Adrian
I have all locks replaced, although Volvo shouldered some of the costs, it still cost me £400

1 - 20 of 40 Posts