Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently bought a second hand Volvo V40 SE D3 2012. I had a problem when driving my girlfriend to the airport. I stopped and pressed the door unlock button. I then got out but the passenger front door stayed locked and she was trapped inside with her plane to catch!!

I tried opening her door from the outside, no luck. Then I tried locking the car with the keyless fob and unlocking again, this also failed. Eventually she had to climb over to the driver's side and get out. She was not very happy. After I drove home the car doors worked as normal.

Has anyone else had this problem and what I should do about it? This could be well be a safety issue if my old man was in the car as he can't climb over to get out.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the rapid response!

I suspect I will have little luck with the dealer if Volvo will not pay them for the work. Do you know if Volvo sees this as a safety issue and will pay for the work when the car is out of warranty, or not?

I wonder if this has/should be reported to DVLA as a safety issue because disabled people can't climb over seats to get out and could be trapped?

As an aside, if I have to fit new door lock mechanisms myself, I wonder if there is a Haynes manual that covers this car?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Thanks for the rapid response!

I suspect I will have little luck with the dealer if Volvo will not pay them for the work. Do you know if Volvo sees this as a safety issue and will pay for the work when the car is out of warranty, or not?

I wonder if this has/should be reported to DVLA as a safety issue because disabled people can't climb over seats to get out and could be trapped?

As an aside, if I have to fit new door lock mechanisms myself, I wonder if there is a Haynes manual that covers this car?
As per the discussion in the old thread, it probably should have been a safety related recall but it looks like Volvo either hid it or managed to wangle their way out of it.

There is no Haynes manual for the V40, the nearest thing is the tool that Volvo dealers use called VIDA that has the parts catalogue, replacement and repair instructions, diagnostic routines (and on official verisons it interfaces with Volvo's servers in Sweden to download software updates to the car via the DICE diagnostic interface). There are hacked versions out there that do everything except the software download part (and they only cover up to MY14.5 as VIDA became a web-based application after that to stop the distribution of the hacked versions). The hacked versions of VIDA can be a bit of a pain to set up properly - in most cases these days they seem to be supplied as a VMWare virtual machine but I would be very wary about installing a pre-configured virtual machine downloaded from the internet on my PC.

Getting into the doors to replace the actuator is not a simple process (for a start you need to get the door open - in some cases that required cutting holes in the doorcard). I would consult a Volvo dealer or Volvo UK first to see if they will replace the actuator FOC out of warranty due to it being a known issue (or at least make a contribution to the cost) before attempting it yourself.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Had the same problem with mine. I had the nearside front door lock replaced under warranty last year. Now the back doors are playing the same game. Its in the dealership today for sorting out, I've had a conversation with them and they are looking at the issue with a view to doing it as a goodwill gesture. I'll report back when I get it back later today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I recently bought a second hand Volvo V40 SE D3 2012. I had a problem when driving my girlfriend to the airport. I stopped and pressed the door unlock button. I then got out but the passenger front door stayed locked and she was trapped inside with her plane to catch!!

I tried opening her door from the outside, no luck. Then I tried locking the car with the keyless fob and unlocking again, this also failed. Eventually she had to climb over to the driver's side and get out. She was not very happy. After I drove home the car doors worked as normal.

Has anyone else had this problem and what I should do about it? This could be well be a safety issue if my old man was in the car as he can't climb over to get out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts