Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody out there to share how does it feel when downgrading from bigger, luxury cars (Rover 75 in my case) to V40? Still waiting for mine (V40 Livstyl) and I wonder how I will feel:huh:.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Well as much as I really enjoy my V40 there is no getting away from the fact that it is a "compact" family car. That said, I have 2 kids, and when I have taken them away, a little bit of forward planning has helped. I simply don't take things that I don't need. So for me, the size of the car is not an issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kev, thanks for the reply. We are just the two of us with my wife. Our kid is living abroad so space doesn't seem to be a problem for us.
Letting apart the space issue, do you feel "something is missing" compared with your previous car?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Something missing? Nope, I never even think about the size of the car. I find the quality and comfort is great. It is a really nice driving experience. I don't regret getting a V40 one bit. I would actually say that some larger cars I have driven in the past do not match up to my positive experiences with the V40.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Whilst Rover 75 may have been "luxury" in comparison to other Rovers I PERSONALLY (emphasise that this is my opinion), the Rover marque never compared to Volvo even back in 2005 when the Rover brand went splat!

I love my V40 but I am hoping the S60 gets a facelift during the next 18 months as I will probably go for the more comfortable, quieter experience the S60 affords.

Volvo do not make a 'bad' car though so you can't really go wrong.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The 75 is obviously getting on a bit and it will show once you get in the v40, the spec of a newer car should run rings around the 75, I can even tell the difference between the v40 and our lasses 6 year old focus ST3 (the top spec ford of its day)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Downgrade

I had a major downgrade when I got my V40 my previous car was a Audi A8 4.2 diesel, the V40 is a bit slower? and not as comfortable ride as the air sprung Audi but the V40 seats are more comfortable, but it's a bit noiser. I don't miss 25mpg £475 road tax £250 tyres,
the V40 is so much easier to park (A8 was over 5 metres long) it's also much easier to drive along the country roads were I live, me and the wife went on holiday to Europe this summer we travelled over 3300 miles and really enjoyed the V40 ,I have had the V40 for 7 months now and don't miss the big Audi.
Dave

Reactions: AKD47

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi
I downgraded from a 2.5l V6 Rover 75 Connoisseur at the beginning of the year for a D2 Rdesign and would not go back.
As a married father of a 5 (soon to be 6) year old, I can honestly say that the V40 has excelled at every point. The only thing I would say I miss is the boot space, but that's usually when trying to get little one's bike in. However, having been invested in roof bars, cycle carriers and a roof box, that's not a problem. The seats are the comfiest I've ever driven in and the fuel economy is second to none.

VERY happy with the higher level of driving comfort and style and lower running costs.

Reactions: AKD47

·
Registered
945 Posts
Don't go black, yes it looks great when nice and new and shiny but it so looks mucky and shows every mark.

Do they do a mid metallic grey, I think it would look subtly aggressive (shark like from the front) in that if they do

·
Registered
40 Posts
Downgrade ? I think that's open to discussion. My last car was a BMW 320 saloon with all the bells and whistles but changing to my V40 has not been noticeable except for the low ride (getting in and out is difficult for my elderly parents). One thing to point out is that it is not a true 5-seater like most other cars because Volvo moved the 2 rear outer seats inwards to give a more spacious and comfortable feel to passengers but this is at the cost of making the middle rear seat only comfortable for kids. The folding rear seat will give you lots more versatility than the Rover 75.

I have no regrets, and I'm 100% sure you'll also have none.

Reactions: jifen

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks mgzsman. The rear seats will not be a problem as most of the time it will be only my wife and myself in the car. The more I read the replies to this thread, the more I feel reassured that I made the right choice.

V40 D2 Livstyl (cruise control, high performance sound, xenon headlights), osmium grey, P520 interior, matres 16"
Ordered end of August due to arrive early November!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Downgrade ? I think that's open to discussion. My last car was a BMW 320 saloon with all the bells and whistles but changing to my V40 has not been noticeable except for the low ride (getting in and out is difficult for my elderly parents). One thing to point out is that it is not a true 5-seater like most other cars because Volvo moved the 2 rear outer seats inwards to give a more spacious and comfortable feel to passengers but this is at the cost of making the middle rear seat only comfortable for kids. The folding rear seat will give you lots more versatility than the Rover 75.

I have no regrets, and I'm 100% sure you'll also have none.
I think you will find ford moved the rear seats inbound and Volvo use the same chassis:p

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can't remember where I heard/saw that. I know that the Focus and V40 share a chassis but the 2 rear outer seats seem to be more in line with the front seats on a Focus but on the V40 they seem to be slightly nearer the centre. I assumed the seatbase position wasn't strictly tied to the chassis. On the other hand, maybe the Focus middle seat is also pretty cramped :-/

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pretty late to the party here, but FWIW I've gone from a Honda Accord Tourer (estate) 2.2CTDi to the V40 - sure there's less space behind the rear seats, but otherwise the V40 is massively better than the rather average Honda in every possible way, but most especially dynamically. The Honda in turn is dynamically and quality-wise superior to any Rover I've been in, so I've no doubt it will feel like a major upgrade in everything but outright space. Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.