Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(DPF: Deisel Particulate Filter)
Anyone know how often the D3 and D4 engines should go through their DPF cleanse cycle? (D2's don't do this). Probably most people won't even notice it, you can only tell because the fuel consumption goes down to about 30mpg and the start stop doesn't work. Also you get a funny smell when you get out of the car if you stop while it's still in progress

My D3 appears to be doing it very regularly, about once a week. Just wondered if anyone else noticed the same. It is very close to it's first service so maybe the air filter is dirty and filling up the DPF more regularly?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Couldn't remember the exact term! I know the D2 uses an additive that need refilling at the 36K service and that the DPF itself has to be replaced at 72K costing roughly £800. Perhaps it does a partial "burn off" (my term!) as well. Not sure which would be termed passive and which active?

The D3 upwards only uses the burn off method and DPF should not require replacing (??)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just found a thread on another site which explains passive/ active regeneration of DPF.

Passive is when the engine/DPF cleans itself when on a journey where the revs/temp get high enough to do this on their own.

Active for the D3 involves pumping in more fuel to artificially raise the temp in the exhaust/DPF and burn off the carbon.

Active for the D2 involves squirting the additive in to raise the temp.

At least that is my understanding....

·
Registered
163 Posts
My D4 did this at the weekend - economy down to ~25mpg for a long old time.

When I got out it smelled like I'd been ragging it to pieces (which for once I hadn't!).

First time it's done it in about 9 months.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi GRM it's my understanding that the additive is metered into the fuel in very small amounts and is therefore always fed through while engine is running. I don't understand how the ratio of diesel to additive is maintained - I have read the additive is transferred from its reservoir to the tank during refuelling is there some kind of flow meter that detects the amount of fuel added and meters additive accordingly, or what? Can anyone explain the details of this please?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's almost certainly the same system, as the D2 is a Ford designed engine (not sure who builds it now).
Interesting that the additive doesn't get rid of the particulates, just makes them easier to burn off at a lower temp. Unfortunately, each time a regen is completed it leaves a layer of ash in the DPF, meaning it has to be replaced at 72k miles. So sell your D2 well before that!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dpf

I noticed the fuel consumption rising on my D3 auto V40. I was under the impression the Diesel Particulate Filter had its own automatic cleaning cycle. Then I read that to flush out the carbon particles you need to have sufficient gas flow through the exhaust system. To achieve this the engine needs to be maintained at least at 2500rpm for 30 minutes. So I put the auto box into manual 4th gear at 70mph, this equated to around 3000rpm, on a local stretch of m/way for over 30mins. The fuel consumption is now much improved. (was 39.5mpg now 45mpg).

·
Registered
945 Posts
I understood the later 1.6 as in the v40 no longer has the magic juice.

I have never noticed mine go through a cleaning circle but there again i always run it on v-pier and tend to rarely run befow 2,000 revs (average of 38mpg at present on the D4) so the DPF may not needed cleansing a so much :0)

The DPF an emission control systems are getting over complicated and is making oil burners less reliable/have a shorter life span than petrols

·
Registered
382 Posts
I understood the later 1.6 as in the v40 no longer has the magic juice.

I have never noticed mine go through a cleaning circle but there again i always run it on v-pier and tend to rarely run befow 2,000 revs (average of 38mpg at present on the D4) so the DPF may not needed cleansing a so much :0)

The DPF an emission control systems are getting over complicated and is making oil burners less reliable/have a shorter life span than petrols
I'm not convinced, I think there is still an element of lottery involved some with better odds. I do think cars have got overly complicated as a whole making them less economically viable to keep on the road this goes for both petrol and diesel.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
There will always be failures. There will be some cars that develop DPF / turbo issues. There will be some cars that develop all sorts of issues. But the majority will go through their lives in a more normal manner. The problem is, folk read a couple of issues on the internet and it becomes fact.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My D2 recently went through a "cleaning circle" or at least I think so.
The temp climbed quickly and it was the first time I ever heard the radiator fun working on high speed.i am not sure how long it lasted but seemed short.
If I had not read here about the dpf cycle I might got worried at the time

·
Registered
252 Posts
l know several people who have had DPF issues, normally begin when car is at least 3 years old.
Some have forced sale of car due to poor reliability.
There is no getting away from the fact a diesel engine is a workhorse motor that needs to be worked to keep clean. In a car it is not under enough stress in the urban environment, and therefore needs a regular clear out to operate at peak efficiency.
If you live in town or do a lot of short journeys petrol is the better choice.
But here in Britain we have a road tax system that favours diesel due to their lower emissions, and consequently many people who ought to be buying petrol are being lured into oil burners by the free road tax.

Reactions: denn1s

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I am sure there will be people who have DPF issues. I know people that have had gear box bearings fail, I know people that have had head gaskets fail. I know people who have all sorts of failures. These things happen. That's life. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.