Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hard to come up with a thread title for this!

But... about a mile from home last night I assume the car went into a DPF cleaning mode with no auto stop, raised tickover revs etc.. When I got home the cooling fan (the main one behind the rad) remained on for 3 min after I stopped and switched off the car. At the time this seemed like a long time - and I put this down to the DPF cleaning cycle.. This morning when I started the car there was a puff of smoke from the exhaust (enough to notice in the mirrors and smell with the windows closed) - and this would seem to be pretty unusual for a 1 year old car on 16k..

Putting all this together is it likely I stopped the car mid burning cycle - and the puff of soot/smoke was due to it not having finished properly the night before...?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Our dealer told us the 1.6 D2 didn't have a DPF but I understand that was a false statement. However I've not as yet noticed any DPF activity with our Volvo in the near month of ownership.

With our VAG motors seeing DPF cleaning cycles was very common (rev rises at idle, funny smells and fans running on after shutdown), particularly in the winter, although the dedicated DPF full warning light did not illuminate at any time during our ownership.

Find not having a DPF warning light on the Volvo odd if it has one fitted.

Ed875

·
Registered
598 Posts
Our dealer told us the 1.6 D2 didn't have a DPF but I understand that was a false statement. However I've not as yet noticed any DPF activity with our Volvo in the near month of ownership.

Ed875
It does, I have noticed my regen runs for about 15 minutes every 800 miles.

I only notice it if I have just parked it up on the drive. Fans running to keep it all cool for a few minutes.

Maybe the dealer got confused with your question as older DPF systems needed refilling with special oil every service, and in some cases the filter itself (£800) needed changing every 50k miles. My understanding is that the 1.6 D2 does not have any DPF servicing and it is all done by electical heating?

·
Registered
53 Posts
On mine (MY2014) there is a chemical additive system that no doubt will need a top-up at intervals. I have heard that these can go wrong, for instance dumping all the additive into the fuel tank in one go! but i expect (hope) this is very rare!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
foxtrotyankee
Volvo V40 Forums
If you've ever wondered what modifications or upgrades you can do to a Volvo V40, this is the right owners club for you.
Full Forum Listing