Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something interesting happened to me yesterday, that I didn't know. Driving around, my car showed outside temp of 33 degrees, and when I stop at the traffic light, the car didn't want to auto switch off.

I know it does this when you have a bikerack or something similar plugged into the towbar connection, then it disables the rear park sensors and engine auto on off, so I thought the software must be confused. Also discovered this the first time I had my bikerack on the car.

So, I went into the car settings, driveE, and it tells my the options is disabled, red dot. Press Ok, and get a message saying my car is operating outside its normal operating temperature, and this feature is disabled for the time being.

Later the afternoon, outside temp showed 30 degrees, and it was enabled again. Option available again in the menu, with green dot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think 30 degrees is the cut off where it stops working, we had a couple of hot days this summer when it stopped working, not enough of them though!

·
Registered
225 Posts
This is a fairly standard feature of auto stop/start across most car manufacturers. The cut-off on our 2011 X3 is also around the 30degC mark. Most stop/start functions are overridden by demand from the cars electrical system for such things as running air conditioners.

Tony

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought it must be some safety feature to help the aircon etc in the heat

·
Registered
273 Posts
This is a fairly obvious one when you read a little deeper into the manuals (I was bored!).

The Start/stop isn't triggered by the outside temperature per se, but what load is going through the systems and main battery. On a hotter day, when you might have the air con on "lo" the stop/start won't kick in because the fans are going twenty to the dozen, with the radio, led's/lights on too.

The start/stop has a secondary battery deep in the nearside front of the engine bay, but if the main battery is having it's work cut out too, then the engine remains on...equally, if you're at traffic lights, the engine will re-start after a minute perhaps.

All clever stuff...but more a case of C21st technology with C20th car batteries! I would expect the same in the depths of winter when the dipped beam, heated seats, heated screen are all doing their bit lol.
Darren

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, cool, see I didn't read that part, lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks for sharing the logic behind the deactivation of the Start/Stop function. Indeed, it is not going to be functioning much in Sunny Thailand.:sleepy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts