Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm not a car person and not at all techy. I took delivery of my D3 in January. After a couple of months, the messages in the heading came up. I took it to the dealer's service department and they said it they couldn't find any faults and had reset it. A short time later the same thing happened. I took the car back again and left it with them for a couple of hours. They said it should now be fine, but in the unlikely event it happened again, they would need to take it in for a couple of days to run some more tests. That was about 10 days ago. When I picked it up, they said they had found a loose connection and they were fairly confident it wouldn't happen again. Yesterday, it happened again. I am getting really frustrated now that a car that was bought with safety being a priority is basically unsafe to drive. I am going to phone them tomorrow to see what they say but considering taking legal advice.

Just wondering if anyone is having this problem.

Just to add that it is possible that bumping up a 1" dropped kerb seemed to set it off yesterday.

I had planned to do a lot of driving in the new car, but for various reasons, haven't been able to, so have only done 1400 miles in 6 months.

Seems I should have stuck with my old 9-year old Nissan that never gave me any problems.:huh:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi all,

I am going to phone them tomorrow to see what they say but considering taking legal advice.
.:huh:
So what was the outcome ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not the same problem but similar story.
Foto 12-07-13 08 25 23.jpg
It took's four times to repair my broken power steering.
First time they reset all the unit of the car.
Second time the battery.
Third they do a software upgrade.
Finally the power steering completely breaks and now my car is at the dealer's officine until 21 of august.
45 days to solve the problem!
All the times they tell me: drive and tell us if it comes back...
Unfortunately the power steering stops working with the car in movement with serious safety problem!
I'm very upset with volvo dealer's.:mad::mad::mad:

Volvo V40 D3 Momentum Geartronic
Septembert 2012

Italy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only got round to phoning them yesterday afternoon. They said they are going to speak to Volvo's technical department before booking it back in (although he spoke to them the last time too). He said he is disappointed because when they found a loose connector, he really thought it must be the cause of the problem. I haven't heard back yet.

Incidentally, he said that if nothing is showing on the display now, there isn't a fault. I had assumed that when it flashed 'DSTC temporarily disabled', it would be disabled until they fixed it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a quick one to say that 3 weeks later, I still haven't received a call back.

Time to name and shame Lipscomb in Canterbury (UK)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is a car still driveable without any steering power assistance, or is the steering just too heavy?
There is no steering power assistance, so the steering becomes very heavy..you can turn only when the car is moving

Now my problem is solved, they've changed all the steering power assistance.
Time: 3 weeks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, had my volvo v40 cross country lux for three months, only done 1500 miles. 2 weeks I dropped my son of at a friends house, when I pull away I thought I heard a clunk or something, instantly the car began to missfire and would not rev up, a warning light came on "DTSC requires service. Got the car home in limp mode. Next morning I started the car and everything was normal" for about 200 yards then it happened again. Volvo assist came out and was unable to fix it so it was towed to dealer. Two days later got the car back with no explanation or apology. 30 miles later and you quest it! "again" the same warning and missfire. Its been at the dealers now for 5 days, and after a number of calls because they never phone me to let me know what's going on. One minute they say its this, then that, then nothing, I'm still none of the wiser and still no car or apology. I'm totally gutted, It's a brand new volvo! The tech is to much for the own dealers to figure it out, even with all the diagnostics they don't know there ar** from there elbow. Shame on you Rybrook Warrington. ps if it happened's again for any reason you can keep it, that's if I ever get it back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my volvo v60 dstc serv until my gear shift not accuret

why is my volvo V60 when the dstc/abs serv light up my volvo gear shift is not accuret its only until gear 2 only :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Howard

It happened to my Volvo V40 yesterday, after 38000 trouble-free miles. Garage booked to investigate next Monday, though after 20 mins the warning disappeared. I'm unsure at this stage how much of a safety hazard. I had continuous engine management warnings with my previous V40 from about 50000 miles.The problem was never diagnosed and the car survived to 270000 miles before the fuel pump failed. Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi, had my volvo v40 cross country lux for three months, only done 1500 miles. 2 weeks I dropped my son of at a friends house, when I pull away I thought I heard a clunk or something, instantly the car began to missfire and would not rev up, a warning light came on "DTSC requires service. Got the car home in limp mode. Next morning I started the car and everything was normal" for about 200 yards then it happened again. Volvo assist came out and was unable to fix it so it was towed to dealer. Two days later got the car back with no explanation or apology. 30 miles later and you quest it! "again" the same warning and missfire. Its been at the dealers now for 5 days, and after a number of calls because they never phone me to let me know what's going on. One minute they say its this, then that, then nothing, I'm still none of the wiser and still no car or apology. I'm totally gutted, It's a brand new volvo! The tech is to much for the own dealers to figure it out, even with all the diagnostics they don't know there ar** from there elbow. Shame on you Rybrook Warrington. ps if it happened's again for any reason you can keep it, that's if I ever get it back.
Do we have a right to just hand it back and get compensation if the car does **** up like this? how does that work, legally?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Do we have a right to just hand it back and get compensation if the car does **** up like this? how does that work, legally?
The Sale of Goods Act 1979 applies. If a car is faulty then the possibilities are a refund, a repair or a replacement vehicle, so handing the vehicle back and getting a refund could happen. In this case the driver had use of the vehicle for three months and, legally, that could be taken into account. Other than repairing the car or providing a full or partial refund, no compensation would be payable.

However, one would hope a dealer would 'do the right thing' in these circumstances.

Interesting that this was the driver's first and only post - wonder how it panned out?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Interesting. I wonder whether they'd take it back at market value and say "you owe us £5,000" etc, in the case of PCP. I'm sure they wouldn't want a bad name though, if there was a fault and you wanted to hand it back, and they wanted you to pay for it, you'd surely just make a lot of noisy and they'd back down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts