Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
I recall the book says th picture turns off at 8mph, not sure where it gets the speed from, the speedo or sat nav signal?

Why would you want this on while driving, even if you don't intend watching it yourself, it would be distracting.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been told that the picture switches off due to wheel sensors.

I find it more distracting that it constantly switches on/off when I come to a halt or travel under 10kmph. Why would this not be more distracting than a GPS?

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
My car also has the video dvd play function, and my little daughter was very disappointed to see it doesn't play while driving. It is actually a useless feature, as 99% of the time cannot be used.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My car also has the video dvd play function, and my little daughter was very disappointed to see it doesn't play while driving. It is actually a useless feature, as 99% of the time cannot be used.
I concur. I also have the DVD function but have yet to use it (except to test it).

I can see the benefit in the US or OZ due to long, empty, straight roads but otherwise it’s a bit pointless.

The one time I could have used it - while waiting to pick up some family from the airport, I forgot to take a disk...

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's illegal in the UK for the driver to watch a DVD or TV whilst driving. Which is why in the newer Range Rovers only the passenger can see the movie whilst the vehicle is in motion. Clever tech lets the driver see the satnav while the passenger sees the movie.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It's illegal in the UK for the driver to watch a DVD or TV whilst driving. Which is why in the newer Range Rovers only the passenger can see the movie whilst the vehicle is in motion. Clever tech lets the driver see the satnav while the passenger sees the movie.
Clever tech that could easily be foiled by a mirror! ;-)

·
Registered
25 Posts
The 7in display (Infortainment Control Module; ICM) receives speed signal via CAN bus and switch the screen depending on the speed. The connector is located at the upper left of figure #72 in the following page.
http://accessories.volvocars.com/AccessoriesWeb/Accessories.mvc/en-GB/RU/V40%2813-%29/2013/D4/Automatic/L.H.D/ShowDocument/ShowIiDocument/VCC-453934-1/NOTHING

The white line (PIN#10) and purple line with orange stripe (PIN#9) respectively corresponds to CAN_HI and CAN_LO. TV free hardware interrupts those lines and replace speed signal with zero speed while in TV or DVD mode.

·
Registered
729 Posts
switching off dvd whilst driving would be one of the only "safety" features I would agree with.....The roads are too bleeping busy already to have somebody driving around watching a video...
I understand it might be nice for the passenger, but I as a driver would be distracted too.. So off it goes (or to the back seats for the kids, with headphones, whole different story)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I agree that the DVD is pointless as like others I've only used it once for the novelty. I can see however that it would be good for a bored passenger/children and would not necessarily be distracting to the driver unless they were actively watching it.

Personally, I have no need of a DVD as I don't have sprogs and entertain my passengers by performing magic tricks, juggling and sword swallowing.

Is it both audio and video that's cut when in motion?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.