Volvo V40 Forums banner

economical tyre pressures

34K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Tony1 
#1 ·
Hi All.

I need some clarity regarding the tyre pressure for my 205/50 R17 tyres om my R design D2. handbook does not seem to suggest a pressure for the economical setting. the car label on drivers side says 38psi all round.
The car is two weeks old and on checking the pressures this morning all are at 32psi.
Also do you think that the higher pressures on e setting adversely affects the ride comfort.

thanks in advance. Peter

#2 ·
Hi All.

I need some clarity regarding the tyre pressure for my 205/50 R17 tyres om my R design D2. handbook does not seem to suggest a pressure for the economical setting. the car label on drivers side says 38psi all round.
The car is two weeks old and on checking the pressures this morning all are at 32psi.
Also do you think that the higher pressures on e setting adversely affects the ride comfort.

thanks in advance. Peter
All tyres pressures should be checked when cold to get a true reading as tyres pressures expanded when hot and will gives you a false reading?:thumbup:

#3 ·
I went up to 38 psi and I am using this for more than a year now. I can not say much about fuel economy, as I have not used the 32 psi (or anything in between). On the other hand, yes I can say that this affects negatively the ride comfort, as I remember the test drive I did before i got the car.

#4 ·
Hi All.

Page 378 of the Owners Manual approves/recommends 230 kPa (which is 33 psi) for your tyres for 1-3 persons, and 260 kPa (which is 38 psi) for maximum load. Perhaps economy isn't improved with a pressure above these figures.

Here's a conversion website. http://www.onlineconversion.com/pressure.htm

#5 ·
Ride quality

Hi.

Ran the car yesterday and today at 38psi and found the ride far to firm I felt the car fidgeted and would not settle on the A and B roads here in west Wales. But they are particularly rubbish down here. I'm sure on motorway journeys it would be more forgiving, so Ive returned to 33psi. Also at £130 pounds each it will be interesting to know how many miles will they last.

thanks for your advice.

#8 ·
Hi Mike. This will be on the B pillar of the drivers door. Eco is 38 all round, comfort is 35 front and either 32 or 33 rear and the other option is 38 front, 35 rear.

Having driven 16500 miles I've not been impressed with the tyre wear of the V40. All my other cars have lasted in excess of 30,000 miles for front tyres but the V40 only has 3mm of tread left. my journey is mainly motorway and I drive economically.

#9 ·
hi we have a v40 d2 r now which runs at 33psi all round, we had a cc first which we found very twitchy on the a roads and darn right bumpy on b roads on eco pressures and within a few months knocked them down to comfort, far better ride with no great loss in mpg but far better tyre wear, I would never run on eco pressures as they proved to hard for my wife who suffers from severe back problems, one of the reasons we went for a Volvo because of the superb seats. hope you get pressures sorted to your liking :wink2:

#10 ·
Hi Mike. This will be on the B pillar of the drivers door. Eco is 38 all round, comfort is 35 front and either 32 or 33 rear and the other option is 38 front, 35 rear.

Having driven 16500 miles I've not been impressed with the tyre wear of the V40. All my other cars have lasted in excess of 30,000 miles for front tyres but the V40 only has 3mm of tread left. my journey is mainly motorway and I drive economically.
Would this apply to 2013 plate and have done 99k

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.