Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Diesel - Undecided

• Don't know! aaaah!

Engine choice

15K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Kev 
#1 ·
What engine do you have your eye on? What's going to work out best for ya?!

Petrol VS diesel

Power vs Economy

Head VS heart?!

#3 ·
Going to have to be one of the diesels for me...hearts set on the D4 with a Polestar tune to push 200bhp and over 40mpg...but a compromise may have to be made...we'll see. :D

#6 ·
Marc said:
The T5 has been dropped from the online config which is a shame.

I'll be going for the D4 and hope that Polestar do a tune for it.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?uty4um
Agreed.

#7 ·
Ordered the D2 diesel engine..

Here in the Netherlands there are some financial benefits with this engine.. :)
Until 1 januari 2014 no road tax..
And also the very low fuel consumption.

And after reading the tests so far the D2 seems to be the best choice and delivers the best ride conditions.

And perhaps in the future I will chip the engine depends on how the ride is.

#8 ·
Yeah its 0 road tax here as well on the d2... But the d3/4 is only £30 which compared to my current £200+ is still very good!

D2 is definatley the sensible choice...but knowing what I'm like...I would always want more zooooom!

#10 ·
So Polestar do not currently (and I've been told they probably won't) offer a tune for the d4.

So I've been in touch with the boys at RICA and theyve advised that the d4 is a waste of time, get the d3 and they can tune THAT all the way up to 200 bhp! So £1000 less for the d3 over the d4, £400 for a tune= £600 saving - result!

Also that perofrmance exhausts and air filters on diesels are pretty pointless...which I didn't know.

#12 ·
Naaa its got to be a diesel for me! If they did a d5 polestar I'd be tempted!!

#13 ·
As I drive mainly in town, limited distances, with occasional weekend trips out of town, I chose petrol.

I debated over if I should get the T3 or T4. The T3 I drove pulled nicely until it reached 4k, than nothing happened. The dealer did not have a T4 to compare with, but I have driven the V60 in T4, with the same engine a while ago, and I preferred it's continuous increase in power all the way up to 5.5k. As the T3 and T4 have same performance up to 4k, the extra power of the T4 on high revs would come to use mainly on my occasional trips of town. As both engines have same mpg, the question was only if the higher purchasing price was justified by my occasional use of all that power and torque.

I now own a 2.2 406 Coupe with 160bhp in petrol, which is more than enough for everyday use in town, but sometimes I feel it lacks some power on country roads. Going for the T3 I would barely get any improvement in performance over my 406 Coupe. It would be a smart choice, but a boring one.

So I ended up with the T4 to have the opportunity for occasional dynamic driving out of town and safer overtakings. I will barely use what the T4 has on offer over the T3, but to know I can use it when I want or even have to, is very tempting. It's power curve is just more appealing to me. Also, even if the resale value will be only slightly higher than for the T3, I expect it to be easier to sell, due to more power for same mpg.

#14 ·
Since T4 and T3 are same engines, the latter only detuned by factory, I also considered to go for T3 and turn to Rica for OEM upgrade to T4. I did not consider the upgrade to 200 bhp Rica has on offer, as I do not need all that extra power and torque at the expense of slightly lower mpg and risk of slightly quicker components wear.

I went for T4 straight away and I reasoned as follows:

The T4 costs 2 000 EUR more than the T3 in Poland, excluding discount. I expect the resale value of T4 to be only slightly higher than of T3 here, since few Poles are ready to pay much for a stronger engine. So assuming I sell the V40 after four years, I might only get around 500 EUR more for the stronger petrol. Since the mpg is roughly the same in both engines, my cost is depreciation, amounting to somewhere around 1 500 EUR.

The OEM upgrade at Rica to T4 is roughly 600 EUR in Poland, including the programmer. At resale, I think it would be challenging to find someone here willing to pay anything for the upgrade. In general, many people in Poland are afraid of any form of engine tuning, so the opposite might be more likely. For simplicity, I assume my cost is price of the upgrade, amounting to 600 EUR.

Thus, the cost of going for the T4 over an OEM upgraded T3, keeping it for around four years, is 1500 - 600 = 900 EUR, less with discount upon purchase. While I think Volvo set too high price difference between the T4 and T3, it is in my opinion not a huge amount of money when compared to the total price of the vehicle. Added value for me?

Easier resale
T4 performance from day one - I would not upgrade until expiry of my two year warranty
No risk of higher insurance due to engine tuning
No hassle with programming

So, reasoning like this, I ended up with the T4.

#15 ·
Choose the T4..
have driven a V60 T4 before the current V60 T3 I am driving..
and allthough the T3 is not a bad engine I liked the T4 better...

#17 ·
T3 would be a reasonable choise for Greece (quite low consumption and a road tax of around 140 Euros per year). Though I chose D2 (94 gr/km), which has zero road tax (up to 2020 I hope!) and of course the consumption is even lower, especially in terms of money. Driving it for the last two days, I was happily surprised by the way it delivers it's torque, no much noise, low revs. I hope I get more in the near future, especially on highways.

#18 ·
volver said:
Any ideas on what the overboost is? It mentions +30Nm on T4.
You can't manually turn it on/off, it kicks in 'when you need it' so... If your overtaking and give it the beans..it uses overboost where as daily driving no. I think...

#20 ·
GusGecko said:
volver said:
Any ideas on what the overboost is? It mentions +30Nm on T4.
You can't manually turn it on/off, it kicks in 'when you need it' so... If your overtaking and give it the beans..it uses overboost where as daily driving no. I think...
Yeah, that's roughly what it is. A red, glowing overboost button would have been cool though:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.