Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my V40 T4 for about 18 months. Twice recently I have had the temp gauge go up to max and the 'engine overheating, switch off immediately' message come up on the TFT screen. On both occasions this was whlist in non-moving traffic after 45 mins plus driving at Motorway speeds. The car has been to my Volvo dealer who can find no trace of a sytem fault on the diagnostics system.
Anyone else had ths problem!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
As the man says - if the fan's not coming-on, either the fan thermostat is NFG or the engine's main thermostatic valve is not opening fully (if at-all) meaning no coolant is circulating much beyond the block.

Probably worth checking the fuse(s) for the fan by-the-by.

Beyond that it's down to the dealer to sort - maybe find one who understands that issues like these may very well not register on diagnostics...

·
Registered
945 Posts
Another d4 r-design in Yorkshire wow!

How are you finding it, is it a 5 pot like mine, not much torque low Dow but get past 2,000 revs and it pulls like a train with a bit or torque steer to keep you involved, or is it the new 4 pot and if so how does that drive?

·
Registered
55 Posts

How are you finding it, is it a 5 pot like mine, not much torque low Dow but get past 2,000 revs and it pulls like a train with a bit or torque steer to keep you involved, or is it the new 4 pot and if so how does that drive?

Hi Dennis, yep, same as yours, it's the 5-pot with its rather compelling burble :heart:

And yep - turbo lag does mean you have to keep revs up a bit if pushing-on, (something I've yet to become consistent with), but as you say, when it does launch it's a hoot. :D

Great though the 5-pot is, the significantly lighter and marginally more powerful new 4-pot would have been my choice if finances had allowed, as I suspect the lighter weight would have improved handling beyond its already impressive ability.

Happy as heck with it tho' - truly is the best all-rounder I've personally driven, and SO much less dull than the krautmobil equivalents!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hi Guys,

New member & Volvo Virgin here, arrives Oct (if it does not go back again). Will be my 16th car so tried just a few other marques over the years but been plagued by quality issues of late and hope to be impressed with Volvo's.

Have frequented many forum's over the years and love to share and read experiences to the benefit of all.

Will be another soon Dennis...

Rebel Blue, V40 D4 (190) R-Design Lux Nav - can't bloomin wait & hoping the twin turbo combats your lag :p

Jon F

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Guys,

New member & Volvo Virgin here, arrives Oct (if it does not go back again). Will be my 16th car so tried just a few other marques over the years but been plagued by quality issues of late and hope to be impressed with Volvo's.

Have frequented many forum's over the years and love to share and read experiences to the benefit of all.

Will be another soon Dennis...

Rebel Blue, V40 D4 (190) R-Design Lux Nav - can't bloomin wait & hoping the twin turbo combats your lag :p

Jon F
Look forward to hearing how you get on with this :thumbup::thumbup: Great colour choice too :cool:

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have owned my V40 T4 for about 18 months. Twice recently I have had the temp gauge go up to max and the 'engine overheating, switch off immediately' message come up on the TFT screen. On both occasions this was whlist in non-moving traffic after 45 mins plus driving at Motorway speeds.
Under the circumstances you describe, I would have expected the start/stop mechanism to have switched off the engine anyway. If that was the case then heat soak could have increased the temperature at the point at which it is measured. The message you get may be just a false message brought about by the circumstances.

http://www.mawsolutions.com/html/heat_soak_effects_on_engines.html

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have owned my V40 T4 for about 18 months. Twice recently I have had the temp gauge go up to max and the 'engine overheating, switch off immediately' message come up on the TFT screen. On both occasions this was whlist in non-moving traffic after 45 mins plus driving at Motorway speeds. The car has been to my Volvo dealer who can find no trace of a sytem fault on the diagnostics system.
Have you got any further forward with this?

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I find it strange that the computer comes up with this message, but that diagnostics show nothing, doesn't it save a log of what is happening and the messages.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi cadman. I'm keen on getting the T4. Before I plunge in, tend to a bit of research to find out if there are any issues. Tks for your posting.

Overheating on the 1.6 eco-boost engine was a sever problem. Some eventually lead to breakout of fire. 90K eco-boost engined vehicles were on a urgent recall. Check out the following site.
http://wot.motortrend.com/ford-issu...93.html/2013-ford-fusion-1-6-ecoboost-engine/

The recalls would have been a fix. These models were identified and fixed in 2012/2013. Since you have reported the same problem, I am now wondering if the fix was inadequate and needs more attention by Ford, the engine manufactures!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Twice recently I have had the temp gauge go up to max and the 'engine overheating, switch off immediately' message come up on the TFT screen. On both occasions this was whlist in non-moving traffic after 45 mins plus driving at Motorway speeds.

Was the start/stop system de-activated? If the start/stop system had been active it would have probably switched off the engine anyway.

·
Registered
718 Posts
That doesn't sound right. The start/stop system isn't a factor here. I suspect there is something wrong. Is the fan cutting in? It should be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That doesn't sound right. The start/stop system isn't a factor here. I suspect there is something wrong. Is the fan cutting in? It should be.
The fan does play a huge role in keeping coolant temp. in check. It appears Ford has done another recall this year.

More on Motortrend.com:2014 Ford Escape SE 1.6 EcoBoost First Test
The latest recall concerns engine overheating, with warning messages appearing in the vehicle information display, and some reports of engine fires. Ford is urging owners of the affected models to contact their dealer immediately. Ford will cover costs related to overheating-related transportation.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/ford-issu...scape-fusion-models-299593.html#ixzz3IADOdLuE

·
Registered
62 Posts
Are you in the UK? At this time of year I'd be surprised if the fan is needed at all. Although do get the fan checked, but keep in mind it could be something else, like a thermostat stuck closed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are you in the UK? At this time of year I'd be surprised if the fan is needed at all. Although do get the fan checked, but keep in mind it could be something else, like a thermostat stuck closed.
In the UK, 90K vehicles fitted with the 1.6 eco boost engines were recalled, more elsewhere!

Ford's recall-prone 1.6-liter EcoBoost engine is once again causing problems for Dearborn, with almost 90,000 Escape and Fusion models equipped with the engine subject to the latest voluntary recall. Escapes equipped with the 1.6-liter EcoBoost have already been subject to three recalls since its introduction, including for fuel leaks and engine fires.
More on Motortrend.com:2014 Ford Escape SE 1.6 EcoBoost First Test
The latest recall concerns engine overheating, with warning messages appearing in the vehicle information display, and some reports of engine fires. Ford is urging owners of the affected models to contact their dealer immediately. Ford will cover costs related to overheating-related transportation.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/ford-issu...scape-fusion-models-299593.html#ixzz3ILUuLeba

Last month cadman reported exactly same symptoms on his T4.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.